General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 03:53 PM

my car over the past 2 days has developed this strange occurence...pls no flaming or wise cracks!

anyways, when I turn on the car, the check engine light comes on, traction control and slip display light up and don't go off...car still drives...but sounds like a motorboat hardly any power in the engine. not that its not warmed up or anything.

I try and eradicate it by turning off the car and turning it back on a few more times...then finally it works...but traction control and check engine light still shows.

going to get it diagnosed this wed at the dealer...but in the mean time...wonder if anyone can give me a heads-up on what might be happening?!

tried by cleaning the throttle body with throttle body cleaner last friday...helped a little...but its back again...!?

wonder if the body shop ppl actually ****ed with the engine? cos I noticed that the o-ring clamp closes to the throttle body that attaches the intake box too was loose...tightened it already after cleaning it...!

need all the help pls...thanks again
Old 11-13-2000, 09:34 PM

does the motor smoke

if so then it is time for a rebuild. If it does not smoke sounds like you spun a bearing in the lower motor once again time for a rebuild.
Old 11-13-2000, 09:54 PM

engine rebuild? dude...hows that even possible? my car is only 20,000 miles old...! gawd!

anyways, would suck if I had to rebuild it? perhaps its just bad O2 sensors? (hope so...!?!)

in any case...would definitely sell it and buy Vic's car...if I really had to rebuilt it!!!! gawd...hope not?!

Old 11-13-2000, 10:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Umm try this... get some water.. Blessed water works best.. Fire the car up.. and splash water on it.. and say.. "The power of Christ compells you!"

Umm here is my shot in the dark. ABS problems. The traction control systems and the ABS should be tied in together.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Umm try this... get some water.. Blessed water works best.. Fire the car up.. and splash water on it.. and say.. "The power of Christ compells you!"
Works best in conjunction with a priest or two.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:15 PM

it could

also be the ignition. have you looked at the plugs? a coil pack could have taken a crap on you. post what happend before this started (washed the motor etc) also does the car smoke? does it get better when the car warms up? have you checked your oil (or changed it (not a flame)? what kind of gas you running? did this start after a fill up? have you checked the fuel filter or pump? I can probably diagnose your problem just need the facts first
Old 11-13-2000, 10:38 PM

ok, I only use 93 octane gas...been like that since the day I drove it off the dealer lot.
oil change? only got 2000 miles since my last oil change and its mobil one synthetic 10W30...going to 5W30 next...this wed.
wash the engine? hum? wonder if the body shop I sent my car to for touch-up work did anything to the engine...? cos I noticed the clamp ring that secures the intake box to the throttle body being lose....but have since tightened it.
recently installed a SS y-pipe...took it to a speed shop who is familiar with such things....plus an RT cat...could it be due to this?
plugs? I have 20,000 miles on the odometer...do I really need plugs?
smoke? dude its cold out and the exhaust gases condense to form smoke..but if you were referring to smoke like blue smoke / black...like those coming from rusty old cars with dangling exhaust pipes...no I don't think my car is that.
called courtesy nissan, tried to describe the problem to the tech guy...told me probably O2 sensors....which are covered by my 36,000 mile warranty.

well, I've made an appointment to visit my dealer....see what the mechanic says.

the traction control light problem comes and goes...but the check engine light stays on..! do you think its due to my recent installation of SS brake lines...I did a "supposed" brake flush at the speed shop but the boss used only 1/2 bottle of a 17 fl. oz bottle of brake fluid to perform the bleed..~!

fuel pump? really? do I need to change it? hope its covered under warranty? am getting the fuel filter in the mail and the PCV valve...wonder if it'd help?

perhaps its the fuel pump...cos when the problem happens...the engine feels like a 4 banger...no power...lots of weird noises...like mis-firing or like only some cylinders are working or something...etc? basically rough and throaty.

whatever it is...I hope to resolve it on wed and hope its all covered by warranty?

thanks for your help guys...hope someone can use this info and perhaps tell me roughly what to hope / expect!

ps, I recently changed gas, used to use shell but changed to amoco both vendors I use 93 octane ONLY but amoco is cheaper by like 30 cents to the gallon, and I always try and run my gas till near E but before the light comes on.

btw, how do you check the fuel filter anyways?

Old 11-13-2000, 11:03 PM

Your car is under warranty. Let the dealer worry about it.

The most important part is reproducing the problem at the dealership. Many times, a problem exists but the dealer just can't detect it, and they won't fix it.