General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

long horror story - do NOT trust mapquest!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

long horror story - do NOT trust mapquest!!!!

I just got back from what seemed only possible in the movies. My fiance and I were driving to Suisun City, CA in search of a Jack in the Box (she works as a mystery shopper/quality control agent for JIB). Anyhow, we printed out driving directions from Mapquest.com and start following them. Mapquest told us to make a right onto Grizzly Island Rd, and follow it for 9.1 miles.

This is where the nightmare begins. Its 5:00pm and the sun is going down. As I turned Max onto Grizzly, I should have stopped when I saw the "Not a through street" sign. But we persisted and drove down a very very empty highway. Since mapquest said 9 miles, we just kept going and going. Grizzly Island is out in the boonies in the California marshlands. After about 5 miles, the road became very twisty and narrow, with marsh water on both sides. The sky got darker. We kept going, and after passing a small city, we came across a sign that said "Pavement ends here." That was probably the biggest clue to turn back, but heck, mapquest said to go 9.1 mi on this stupid street. So being the stupid computer dependent city folk that I am, I persisted. The sky got darker.

Soon we were driving on a sandy road with nothing but loose gravel. In the distance we could see the lights of a faraway town. We kept going. After about 5 more miles of driving in the middle of marshes, the road became super narrow and there was loose gravel everywhere. My car started to drift and slide around on top of the road. That may not sound very scary to you guys, but believe me, with water on both sides and a lowered maxima on 18" rims, sliding around when only going 25mph is freaky. The sky got even darker.

Finally, we say "f*ck it!" and decide to turn around. It was completely dark outside and there were no cars or any humans in sight for miles. The city lights that we saw earlier seemed just as distant as they were before. It was horrible. Felt like there was going to be some sort of axe murderer jumping out of the marshy bushes to hack up me and my fiance. In the middle of nowhere, no lights, no power, no people, and our cell phones had no service.

The gravel road became a dirt/mud road, only about 15 feet in width. I went from city racer to rally car driver, and finally now to off roading maxima. As we decided to turn back, we reached the end of mapquest's wonderful road. There was a roadblock that abruptly cut into the road. It was pitch black. There were mud holes everywhere, and I proceeded to make a 50 point u-turn, being careful not to get stuck in these muddy holes or falling forward into the marsh waters. It was freaky.

On the way back, I drove with my highbeam Piaa's on the entire time. The car slid back and forth on the loose gravel, and it felt like the Devil wanted to pull me, my fiance, and max into a marshy grave. The slightest little curve, and the car would be stricken with intense oversteer. Needless to say, we made it all the way back safely and with max in one piece. As we decided to head home, we saw the Jack in the Box. It was in a small mall at the friggin corner of Grizzly and Hwy 12. But according to the mapquest directions, that was not the right address. F*ck it.. we went home after we found it without doing the report anyways...

Sorry so long guys, but I had to share the traumatic experience with you.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: long horror story - do NOT trust mapquest!!!!

So, you're saying you found a good place to "park" with your fiance?
Old 01-30-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: Re: long horror story - do NOT trust mapquest!!!!

Originally posted by ru4real
So, you're saying you found a good place to "park" with your fiance?
Hahah yeah, if I ever wanted to dump her and leave her out in the marshes about 20mi away from all civilization.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:25 PM

That does not sound that bad, I got lost for over 3 hours on the way to a maxima meet once, that sucked!(thanks again Anthony)
Old 01-30-2002, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I don't trust those maps myself. Nothing like a good current trusty printed map with LOTSA details when you're some place you've never been before.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:43 PM

I was once on a business trip with my boss near Chehalis, Washington. We were following the Mapquest directions, ended up on a rural, dead end road, with the last Mapquest direction reading:

"You are now within one and one half miles of your destination."

And not a clue beyond that.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:40 PM

actually

mapquest is pretty good if you

1) want to get stuck in traffic if you take the highways which you know are always packed

or

2) want to take the long way through the bussiest part of the city

just today I looked up something on mapquest, noticed it pointed me to the bussiest freeway in this city, at exactly the bussiest time.

so, I just looked around the map thingy and found a SHORTER, FASTER route with almost NO stops, isnt this thing great?

oh yeah, NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT A REAL MAP! you will regret it.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:30 PM

What i basically do is get at least three different mapping sites and from that i can basically narrow it down to what most possibly look's informative.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:51 PM

95% of the times map quest is good.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE
What i basically do is get at least three different mapping sites and from that i can basically narrow it down to what most possibly look's informative.
Yeah I was about to say the same thing, for long trips I usually get directions from mapquest and yahoo (they're usually a little different from each other) and look over a map and then come up with what seems like the best possible route.

And MaximaGTR34, I bet you can at least sue mapquest for that.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:25 AM

Re: long horror story - do NOT trust mapquest!!!!

Originally posted by MaximaGTR34
I just got back from what seemed only possible in the movies. My fiance and I were driving to Suisun City, CA in search of a Jack in the Box (she works as a mystery shopper/quality control agent for JIB). Anyhow, we printed out driving directions from Mapquest.com and start following them. Mapquest told us to make a right onto Grizzly Island Rd, and follow it for 9.1 miles.

This is where the nightmare begins. Its 5:00pm and the sun is going down. As I turned Max onto Grizzly, I should have stopped when I saw the "Not a through street" sign. But we persisted and drove down a very very empty highway. Since mapquest said 9 miles, we just kept going and going. Grizzly Island is out in the boonies in the California marshlands. After about 5 miles, the road became very twisty and narrow, with marsh water on both sides. The sky got darker. We kept going, and after passing a small city, we came across a sign that said "Pavement ends here." That was probably the biggest clue to turn back, but heck, mapquest said to go 9.1 mi on this stupid street. So being the stupid computer dependent city folk that I am, I persisted. The sky got darker.

Soon we were driving on a sandy road with nothing but loose gravel. In the distance we could see the lights of a faraway town. We kept going. After about 5 more miles of driving in the middle of marshes, the road became super narrow and there was loose gravel everywhere. My car started to drift and slide around on top of the road. That may not sound very scary to you guys, but believe me, with water on both sides and a lowered maxima on 18" rims, sliding around when only going 25mph is freaky. The sky got even darker.

Finally, we say "f*ck it!" and decide to turn around. It was completely dark outside and there were no cars or any humans in sight for miles. The city lights that we saw earlier seemed just as distant as they were before. It was horrible. Felt like there was going to be some sort of axe murderer jumping out of the marshy bushes to hack up me and my fiance. In the middle of nowhere, no lights, no power, no people, and our cell phones had no service.

The gravel road became a dirt/mud road, only about 15 feet in width. I went from city racer to rally car driver, and finally now to off roading maxima. As we decided to turn back, we reached the end of mapquest's wonderful road. There was a roadblock that abruptly cut into the road. It was pitch black. There were mud holes everywhere, and I proceeded to make a 50 point u-turn, being careful not to get stuck in these muddy holes or falling forward into the marsh waters. It was freaky.

On the way back, I drove with my highbeam Piaa's on the entire time. The car slid back and forth on the loose gravel, and it felt like the Devil wanted to pull me, my fiance, and max into a marshy grave. The slightest little curve, and the car would be stricken with intense oversteer. Needless to say, we made it all the way back safely and with max in one piece. As we decided to head home, we saw the Jack in the Box. It was in a small mall at the friggin corner of Grizzly and Hwy 12. But according to the mapquest directions, that was not the right address. F*ck it.. we went home after we found it without doing the report anyways...

Sorry so long guys, but I had to share the traumatic experience with you.
What you describe is like going to the UPS terminal in Philly.

You always have to do a reality check, and the map thingys even tell you so. If the sign says Bridge Out, you don't just take the road anyway just because the directions say so imho
Old 01-31-2002, 06:04 AM

Buy one on CD

Go buy one of those software programs. Most are 40-50 bucks. You can update most of them also. Well worth the cash.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah ... I tried to get around Hartford to find the UPS depot there with Mapquest directions...oh god...the horror. Mapquest blows. And tell it to find alternate routes and it sucks too. I try to go between that and Yahoo. Anyone know of any other map sites?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sounds like a making of blair witch 5 or something. did u notice a pile of rocks on the ground?

if you're going to be adventuring out a lot...i would say consider getting navagation in the car.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:35 AM

lol, while i was reading your story i felt like i was going deeper and deeper into the jungle w/ my max
Old 01-31-2002, 06:56 AM

mapquest sucks i was going to va from nj and i checked there and mapblast and mapquest said it was gonna take an extra hr to get there ahh ok www.mapblast.com is the best ive found so far no problems ever getting lost with them
Old 01-31-2002, 09:28 AM

Try using Yahoo >>

Or my personal favorite:

http://www.expedia.com