General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Peeps that have had Knock sensor probs..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 11:27 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Peeps that have had Knock sensor probs..

how did your Max run and react when your knock sensor was bad? anyone care to unplug your knock sensor really quick and tell me how your car runs? please help me...ughh
Old 02-01-2002, 12:09 AM

my suggestion... test out your knock sensor by running
the car at about 1500 hundred RPM's

then take a hammer and smash the living sh*t outta the motor!!!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:21 AM

A dead/dying Knock sensor will not be noticable in everyday driving. If the ECU does not recieve a valid signal from the KS, it will automatically retard timing in order to minimize the possibility of detonation. Even at WOT, the difference shouldn't be VERY noticable. At the track, however, it will. Just replacing the KS on my car made my 1/4 drop almost a second.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sparkymax96 is selling one.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Sparkymax96 is selling one.
so?
Old 02-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by medicsonic
Just replacing the KS on my car made my 1/4 drop almost a second.
How so?
Old 02-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Old 02-01-2002, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

How so?
I guess you didn't read my post then. If you replace the KS, the ECU then gets a valid reading off of the KS, and no longer has to retard the timing, giving me full power.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I guess you didn't read my post then. If you replace the KS, the ECU then gets a valid reading off of the KS, and no longer has to retard the timing, giving me full power.
woah woah there cowboy.. take it easy.. he is a 5th Genner they are not that bright
Old 02-01-2002, 08:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Excuse me... it was 7:39 AM when I posted. Brain no worky at full potential yet.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Excuse me... it was 7:39 AM when I posted. Brain no worky at full potential yet.
news flash.. it doesn't work for the rest of the day ither...
Old 02-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SprintMax
hehehehhehe
Old 02-01-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Peeps that have had Knock sensor probs..

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
how did your Max run and react when your knock sensor was bad? anyone care to unplug your knock sensor really quick and tell me how your car runs? please help me...ughh

i'm going to have to disagree with Medic on this one...
I did feel my topend get weaker when i had a bad knock sensor. once the car shifted into third i could feel the car get a lot weaker. i tested this at the track and also i ran a maxima with less mods then i had and sure enough he started pulling me at about 75mph ... matthel you said you were using a Snap-on scanner, that is the same one i use to trouble shoot my car. when i hooked it up to my car it showed the 0304 knock sensor error. if you are still not sure of the knock sensor then you can use the scanner to compare your cars timing to another maxima that you know has no problems. the scanner will show timing adv/ret at WOT and it should be nearly identical for all maximas ... i don't remember the exact number my when comparing the timing of my car with another maxima i saw my timing was show a lot of retarding ...

Ant
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Peeps that have had Knock sensor probs..

you are kinda agreeing with him..

Originally posted by Ant95se

I did feel my topend get weaker when i had a bad knock sensor. once the car shifted into third i could feel the car get a lot weaker. i tested this at the track and also i ran a maxima with less mods then i had and sure enough he started pulling me at about 75mph ... matthel you said you were using a Snap-on scanner, that is the same one i use to trouble shoot my car. when i hooked it up to my car it showed the 0304 knock sensor error. if you are still not sure of the knock sensor then you can use the scanner to compare your cars timing to another maxima that you know has no problems. the scanner will show timing adv/ret at WOT and it should be nearly identical for all maximas ... i don't remember the exact number my when comparing the timing of my car with another maxima i saw my timing was show a lot of retarding ...

Ant
Old 02-01-2002, 10:06 AM

Uh, Ant, you are agreeing with me. I stated the car felt weaker, but not MUCH weaker. In everyday driving you couldn't feel the difference.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by SprintMax
No brain, no headache.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:29 AM

Re: Re: Peeps that have had Knock sensor probs..

Originally posted by Ant95se

Ant

hummm

i dont think ill be able to compare to another Maxima for 2 reasons. 1 being i have a JWT ECU and it retards timing for my boost application. 2nd is i cant go WOT cause the ECU is retarding my timing so it wont go above 2k rpm. thanks for the suggestions...keep em coming.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:43 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

The quote below is from another thread. HOWEVER it has a point in it I thought you might want to read.

"The clamps are a pain in the butt to get to. not only that, there is some solenoid in the throttle body that will cause the idle to stick at 2000 rpm or so, its a real pain. I suppose you could disable that solenoid, but I felt zero difference whatsoever."

Again , I do not know if this is correct, but given your current situation I am trying to help any way I can
Old 02-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Wouldn't a bad knock sensor trip the CEL?

Or does it only show up on scanner tools?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:58 AM

Re: Wouldn't a bad knock sensor trip the CEL?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Or does it only show up on scanner tools?
According to the ESM, a bad KS is the only error code that will not trip the CEL.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Wouldn't a bad knock sensor trip the CEL?

Wow...learned something new everything. So that was the problem with your car, how did you ever came to suspect the KS. What's the testing procedure to figure if it's bad or not?

According to the ESM, a bad KS is the only error code that will not trip the CEL.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Wouldn't a bad knock sensor trip the CEL?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Wow...learned something new everything. So that was the problem with your car, how did you ever came to suspect the KS. What's the testing procedure to figure if it's bad or not?

I kept noticing that no matter what mods I had, I was stil running a rather slow 1/4 mile time. I never had got a CEL, but I would check the codes, and always got 0304, the KS one. It would show up immidiately after resetting the ECU, which made me think it was a KS only issue. I got it replaced, and low and behold, the car got faster and the 0304 disappeared. But to tell you the truth, my car always ran smoothly and never truly felt VERY underpowered like others noticed.

The testing procedure is in the Haynes manual. You find the connection for it in the wiring harness and probe it. Forgot wher my aynes manual is right now, or else I woud have told you.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:35 AM

humm i dont think its the knock sensor so i wonder what else there is to look at..
Old 02-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
humm i dont think its the knock sensor so i wonder what else there is to look at..
I say start looking into the fuel management system then. How is the fuel pump reacting?