General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

understeer and suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 07:10 AM

understeer and suspension mods

Without getting the RSB, does upgrading to high performance struts like kyb agx's help reduce the understeer of the maxima? how about agx's with h&r springs? if it does, does it reduce the understeer as much as having just the RSB alone? I hate having the fear of flying off the road on highway exit/on ramps because my gle is fighting me as i turn the steering wheel
Old 02-01-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

my car corners great.. but i have everything.. so i dunno
Old 02-01-2002, 07:25 AM
SLOW

The stiffer the rear suspension of your car is, the less it will understeer in general. That's why the RSB prevents it so well. Springs will reduce understeer some, RSB will reduce it dramatically.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:16 AM

My 'turn-in' seems alot better since I put in a FSTB.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Not really. Shocks/springs will make your car handle better than before but it won't really change the overall car's tendency for understeer. Only by adding a RSB or a thicker RSB(3-gens) will you be able to dial out the understeer. Even then, it will probably go no further than just neutral(which is pretty damned good)
Old 02-01-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Not really. Shocks/springs will make your car handle better than before but it won't really change the overall car's tendency for understeer. Only by adding a RSB or a thicker RSB(3-gens) will you be able to dial out the understeer. Even then, it will probably go no further than just neutral(which is pretty damned good)
ok, i wasn't considering rsb because i read that rsb sometimes makes the car oversteer too much and rear end skids out in certain conditions such as rain, so it was a safety issue - my family sometimes use my max so they may not be used to the rsb. also, i read that rsb sometimes makes the ride a little harsher over large bumps. oh and of course there's shelling out more $, but if it is really worth it and doesn't make the car dangerous in rain or snow and doesn't increase ride harshness, then i'd prob put it back on my list
Old 02-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get a RSB and a FSTB... once you see what they really do then you will feel more safe about your family being in the car... they make the car feel more stable and predictable
Old 02-01-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall
My 'turn-in' seems alot better since I put in a FSTB.
yup, i have one too and it improved the handling too but i'm looking for "the next level"
Old 02-01-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by theblue
get a RSB and a FSTB... once you see what they really do then you will feel more safe about your family being in the car... they make the car feel more stable and predictable
so you haven't experienced the rear end swing out? or do you have to really try to make that happen? i just don't want it happening if someone is driving in the rain and have to do an emergency lane change and lose control and spin, etc.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've tried on purpose to get my car to oversteer and I couldn't. I have the thickest one available for my 3-gen. The aftermarket just doesn't offer one thick enough to dial in much if any oversteer. You would have to do some super crazy high speed stuff to get the back end to come out.

Originally posted by ne max

ok, i wasn't considering rsb because i read that rsb sometimes makes the car oversteer too much and rear end skids out in certain conditions such as rain, so it was a safety issue - my family sometimes use my max so they may not be used to the rsb. also, i read that rsb sometimes makes the ride a little harsher over large bumps. oh and of course there's shelling out more $, but if it is really worth it and doesn't make the car dangerous in rain or snow and doesn't increase ride harshness, then i'd prob put it back on my list
Old 02-01-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I've tried on purpose to get my car to oversteer and I couldn't. I have the thickest one available for my 3-gen. The aftermarket just doesn't offer one thick enough to dial in much if any oversteer. You would have to do some super crazy high speed stuff to get the back end to come out.

awesome, and in terms of ride harshness-did you see any increase at all?
Old 02-01-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope. Sway bars don't transmit harshness. Not nearly like shocks/springs would. Wife/family probably wouldn't even know it's there.

awesome, and in terms of ride harshness-did you see any increase at all?
Old 02-01-2002, 01:07 PM

so you haven't experienced the rear end swing out? or do you have to really try to make that happen? i just don't want it happening if someone is driving in the rain and have to do an emergency lane change and lose control and spin, etc.
if you are pushing your car to its limits then you may get a "swing out" when your car loses all traction, but you would almost have to want this to happen to get that effect. it could never happen on an expressway, you would have to be making a 90 degree turn and then some to force the back to lose grip (unless you have really dead tires)
Old 02-01-2002, 01:14 PM

If your pulling that on the highway you have more to worry about though.

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually, on bumps where only one wheel is hit (like potholes) it will transmit some motion, but from Jeff just now and other people I've heard, it's not very bad or noticable.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:45 PM

I have had the rear jump out me but you have to be driving very aggressively (I have never approached this level on the street) and you almost have to provoke it. If your wife is driving normal you will never have a control issue with the RSB.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:49 PM

Too much over steer with an RSB only happens if you drive the car hard into a corner AND abruptly let off the accelerator. Driving regulary in the rain it deosn't happen. So, if your family members are driving the car hard, that RSB over steer will be the least of your worries.

As for cash, http://www.cattman.com/specials.shtml has the rsb on special for $120 right now.

DW

DW

Old 02-01-2002, 01:58 PM

ok, so there really aren't any major downfalls of the rsb. but i just remembered there are subframe connectors that warpspeed performance is making for the 4th gen. wouldn't the subframes also reduce understeer by making the chassis stiffer? i am wondering if i should just hold out on the rsb for the subframes instead? sorry, just another idea that popped into my head.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:49 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i just finished putting on my addco rsb. i had the fstb on a few days earlier. gave the car a test drive and it feels GREAT!!! the suspension feels so much better. wheel hop only happens when you purposely want it to happen... you family will be much safer with the suspension mods on...
Old 02-01-2002, 06:18 PM

ok, so there really aren't any major downfalls of the rsb. but i just remembered there are subframe connectors that warpspeed performance is making for the 4th gen. wouldn't the subframes also reduce understeer by making the chassis stiffer? i am wondering if i should just hold out on the rsb for the subframes instead? sorry, just another idea that popped into my head.
No, stiffening the chassis and stiffening the suspension are different. The SFCs only compliment anything else you add to the car.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Bman
No, stiffening the chassis and stiffening the suspension are different. The SFCs only compliment anything else you add to the car.
yes, but doesn't stiffening the chassis allow the suspension (any suspension setup) to work better? i read a couple of posts that said that when the chassis flexes it alters the suspension geometry, and so the suspension is not working the way it should be ideally.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:20 AM

yes, but doesn't stiffening the chassis allow the suspension (any suspension setup) to work better? i read a couple of posts that said that when the chassis flexes it alters the suspension geometry, and so the suspension is not working the way it should be ideally.
That is true, but who's to say whether the SFCs benefit the front or rear suspension more since they just join the two subframes between them? Personally I think they just let both suspensions work better and mainly make the car feel more solid, much like STBs. Remember: stiffening the front will increase understeer, stiffening the rear will reduce it. Personally I wouldn't count on SFCs replacing the RSB since they kinda have different jobs.... I'd save up for both but start with either! my 2 cents
Old 02-04-2002, 06:01 AM

Chassis flex does alter suspension geometry. The FSTB and, to a smaller extent the RSTB, addresss that very thing.
The FSTB links your front shock towers so that when you take a hard corner, your left and righ suspension components stay in-line, so to speak. In a hard corner without the FSTB, your front L and R suspension parts tend to bend or flex away from each other.

DW