General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

sumitomo HTRZ II vs. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sumitomo HTRZ II vs. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712

Looking for new tires for the 17's since I'll be getting my income tax soon Which would you rather go w/, the sumitomo or the kumho's?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2002, 07:03 PM
Master Will

I like my Kuhmos

Old 02-01-2002, 07:14 PM

I've heard good things from kuhmo's. I just see that no one talks about the Sumitomo, and I was wondering if there's a reason why.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:15 PM

I had Sumitomo 235/45's on my I30 and really liked the tires a lot. They are deffinatly better then the quick wearing Yokohama A520's they replaced.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda Convert!

The Kumho's side wall is very soft and the Sums's are a very well rounded tire but for the money you cant beat Kumho's.

Bruce
Old 02-01-2002, 10:12 PM

Kumho all the way!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
Kumho all the way!
Y O K O H A M A A V S S P O R T 235/45 17

that's my recommendation.

I put kuhmo's on my mom's corolla 205/40 17 I felt a lot more bumps at first, but then i got used to it, i've forgotten what it used to feel like befor. AA trac rating A temp rating and 240 treadwear (as opposed to my 180) for 78 bucks (my mom's size, not maxima size), you can't beat it. I'd say if you want more information, go to www.tirerack.com under each tire model are sometimes feedback from owners and track testing by the employees over at tire rack. I tend to side with employees on performance stuff and the polls on comfort/wear stuff. look around at different stuff, i enjoy learning new things about cars everyday. later, and good luck.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:23 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Xtreme5053

Y O K O H A M A A V S S P O R T 235/45 17

that's my recommendation.

I put kuhmo's on my mom's corolla 205/40 17 I felt a lot more bumps at first, but then i got used to it, i've forgotten what it used to feel like befor. AA trac rating A temp rating and 240 treadwear (as opposed to my 180) for 78 bucks (my mom's size, not maxima size), you can't beat it. I'd say if you want more information, go to www.tirerack.com under each tire model are sometimes feedback from owners and track testing by the employees over at tire rack. I tend to side with employees on performance stuff and the polls on comfort/wear stuff. look around at different stuff, i enjoy learning new things about cars everyday. later, and good luck.
Yoko AVS sports are in a different league than Kumhos and Sumitomos...

Both are decent tires. I have kumhos but I'm moving on to a stickier tire.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:01 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

I have the sumitomo's. I like them but have nothing to compare them too cept Nitto 555r for d/r

Don't you need an ALL SEASON TIRE?
Old 02-02-2002, 03:03 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm
I never had Kumhoes or HTRZs but I had regular HTRs on 16s, they were kind of noisy but gripped well in the dry and pretty good in the rain.. With low profile tires, you will never get good all season traction, meaning (snow) most high performance tires are good in the wet and the dry, just as good as all season tires.. so I'd save some $ and go for the Kumhos since they are ultra high performance etc.. although do not use them in snow.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:33 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Confused

no he doesn't..

he has stock 15's to roll around on during winter..

i say get the Dunlop SS 5000 235/45/17...
those are good tires...
Old 02-02-2002, 07:55 AM

but those are all season..

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

no he doesn't..

he has stock 15's to roll around on during winter..

i say get the Dunlop SS 5000 235/45/17...
those are good tires...
Old 02-02-2002, 08:06 AM
i SeE what you did therE

but those are all season..

i know.. that is what i got.... and i have stockers for winter too!!
Old 02-02-2002, 08:20 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

T O Y O P R O X E S F Z 4 235/45R17 My all season solution.
i like those too!!
Old 02-02-2002, 08:24 AM
i SeE what you did therE

At least someone else does, some toyo haters are on the .org
actually there are a LOT of toyo haters on the org...
Old 02-02-2002, 08:28 AM

toyo its ok

I know you have firearms, I have firearms, lets go on a Toyo-Hater Hunt. I'm bored.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:59 PM

i had the same Question when buying my tires about two weeks ago. I talked to some people and they said that there Kuhmos didnt handle as well as they would like. The tire wall collapses when going into a corner to hard. I bought the Sumitomos..235/45/17. They handle well in the rain and on dry road. As for the price..i got mine for $103.00 a piece off of Tirerack.com . $3.00 more than Kuhmos. i think it was worth it.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Can anyone tell me why they choose the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 WR over the Sumitomo HTR Z II WR. TireRack indicates that the Sumitomo out perform the Kumho in almost every catagory. S, I don't get it? I'm leaning towards the Sumitomo. Can you guys give me a sound logical reason to sway me to the Kumhos?
Old 04-20-2002, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Supa Lao
I've heard good things from kuhmo's. I just see that no one talks about the Sumitomo, and I was wondering if there's a reason why.
Not alot of people seem to have tried Sumitomo. I have them on my car and they are fine. Seems like one person says Kumho and BOOM 15 people all go out to get them and claim they're really good. They do come as standard equipment on Kia, and I'm not trying to be funny. That would imply ultra-low production costs IMHO. Just like you never see a Michelin as standard equipment on a Nissan, as they are pricey across the board. Doesn't mean a Michelin is better than a Kumho, but again, I don't like the idea of tires made in China or Korea. They're not there quite yet. Korean LCD screens, you bet, best in the world. Not tires.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I use to have Sumitomo HTR ZII 235/45 on my old 17s. They are great tires and they have an awesome visual design. The grip very well in temps above 50 degrees and they wear pretty good (~30K miles). The reason many people haven't gone with Sumitomos is because most people stick to tires that others are running. Look at the huge shift towards Kumhos. No one had heard of these street tires 1.5 years ago. Now with the Honda/Acura crowd, Nittos are out and Kumhos are in.

I've never had Kumhos, but a lot of people run them. I think the main reason people go with Kumhos is because they are a low priced Z-rated tire with a good looking design. Recently, I began looking for a new set of 225/50 tires for my 16" K1s. I wanted a lower priced Z-rated summer tire because my all-season performance Yokohama Avid V4s just didn't cut it for me. My choices were some Dunlops, Yokohamas, Sumitomo, and Kumhos. I read many of the personel reviews over at the Tirerack concerning the Kumhos. Most of the people that loved the Kumhos were mostly Honda/Acura owners. Not to sound like an ***, but I don't put much faith in the review of most Honda/Acura owners because most of them are young, have little performance experience, and most likely they were running on crap OEM tires before getting the Kumhos. Many BMW, Benz, Maxima, F-Body, Stang, etc owners reported the Kumhos as being loud, rough, and not exactly high-performance when put to the test. I passed on the Kumhos simply because the Kumhos were a "love or hate" kind of a tire. There were just too many conflicting reports concerning this tire. I ended up going with the HTR Zs because of their excellent reviews and low price $84 (vs $76 Kumhos). The HTR Zs are incredible and I couldn't be happier. They hook up like drag radials, this is no joke. Read my post about the HTR Zs I posted yesterday if you're interested.

Dave
Old 04-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
I use to have Sumitomo HTR ZII 235/45 on my old 17s. They are great tires and they have a awesome visual design. The grip very well in temps above 50 degrees and they wear pretty good (~30K miles). The reason many people haven't gone with Sumitomos is because most people stick to tires that others are running. Look at the huge shift towards Kumhos. No one had heard of these street tires 1.5 years ago. Now, with the Honda/Acura crowd, Nittos are out and Kumhos are in.

I've never had Kumhos, but a lot of people run them. I think the main reason people go with Kumhos is because they are a low priced Z-rated tire with a good looking design. Recently, I began looking for a new set of 225/50 tires for my 16" K1s. I wanted a lower priced Z-rated summer tire because my all-season performance Yokohama Avid V4s just didn't cut it for me. My choices were some Dunlops, Yokohamas, Sumitomo, and Kumhos. I read many of the personel reviews over at the Tirerack concerning the Kumhos. Most of the people that loved the Kumhos were mostly Honda/Acura owners. Not to sound like an ***, but I don't put much faith in the review of most Honda/Acura owners because most of them are young, have little performance experience, and most likely they were running on crap OEM tires before getting the Kumhos. Many BMW, Benz, Maxima, F-Body, Stang, etc owners reported the Kumhos as being loud, rough, and not exactly high-performance when put to the test. I passed on the Kumhos simply because the Kumhos were a "love or hate" kind of a tire. There were just oo many conflicting reports concernign this tire. I ended up going with the HTR Zs because of their excellent reviews and low price $84 (vs $76 Kumhos). The HTR Zs are incredible and I couldn't be happier. They hook up like drag radials, this is no joke. Read my post about the HTR Zs I posted yesterday if you've interested.

Dave
I've got Pilot Sport AS's now but had Kumho 712's before these. I also tried the SO3's for a couple of weeks before sending them back to TireRack. The SO3's stick incredibly well and the AS's are great all-around. I live in Austin, so cold weather isn't much of a factor. For the most part I was happy with the Kumho's even when compared to the the other two tires. I'm not saying they are as good, but for the money they are a good value. HOWEVER, the big problem I have with them is that they tend to get permanently out-of-round when braking just moderately hard at high speeds (100+ mph). I think I'll give the Sumitomo's a shot next time I need tires.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:44 PM

I have never been a fan of Kumhos. They were cheap, and TireRack marketted them as a "ploy" to boost sales. I've read reports on Kumhos, and they looked real promising. Some of the I-club members who do AutoX use Kumhos, and say they perform real well. I was sold on it. I bought a set from Tire Rack and slapped them on factory 17s, just to see how they compared to my Toyo Proxes FZ4s.
I was in for a big shock later in the evening running Kumhos in the rain. I've driven one back road over and over again.(Which everyone from today's 4/20 meet got to experience.) I was taking one of the last stretch of curves in the rain at my "usual" 45mph, my Toyo's in rain have not had a problem, and first thing I noticed was the sidewall was fairly stiff, giving the car a "hard edge"(vs my toyo's "soft edge") Dry grip was impressive, but tended to give out all of a sudden, compared to gradually on my Toyos. Getting back to the story, I came around the turn, and immediately felt my front tires break loose, the vibrations in the wheel, and I was sliding towards the banking, turned the wheel opposite the turn and then braked enough to get grip, give back some direction, and nicked my rear wheel on the grass edge.
My personal experience. KUMHO'S SUCK DONKEY NADS. I burned up both sets in a fury the next day, and THEY CHUNKED OFF...like...

-End Story.

Old 04-20-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by sleepermax

I've got Pilot Sport AS's now but had Kumho 712's before these. I also tried the SO3's for a couple of weeks before sending them back to TireRack. The SO3's stick incredibly well and the AS's are great all-around. I live in Austin, so cold weather isn't much of a factor. For the most part I was happy with the Kumho's even when compared to the the other two tires. I'm not saying they are as good, but for the money they are a good value. HOWEVER, the big problem I have with them is that they tend to get permanently out-of-round when braking just moderately hard at high speeds (100+ mph). I think I'll give the Sumitomo's a shot next time I need tires.
Why did you send the S03's back? I was considering these.

Albert
Old 04-20-2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by akrus

Why did you send the S03's back? I was considering these.

Albert
They're great tires but I just wanted something with longer wear life, plus I don't really drive hard enough to take full advantage of them. I'm VERY happy with the A/S's.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:12 PM

Bump
Old 04-23-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
I have never been a fan of Kumhos. They were cheap, and TireRack marketted them as a "ploy" to boost sales. I've read reports on Kumhos, and they looked real promising. Some of the I-club members who do AutoX use Kumhos, and say they perform real well. I was sold on it. I bought a set from Tire Rack and slapped them on factory 17s, just to see how they compared to my Toyo Proxes FZ4s.
I was in for a big shock later in the evening running Kumhos in the rain. I've driven one back road over and over again.(Which everyone from today's 4/20 meet got to experience.) I was taking one of the last stretch of curves in the rain at my "usual" 45mph, my Toyo's in rain have not had a problem, and first thing I noticed was the sidewall was fairly stiff, giving the car a "hard edge"(vs my toyo's "soft edge") Dry grip was impressive, but tended to give out all of a sudden, compared to gradually on my Toyos. Getting back to the story, I came around the turn, and immediately felt my front tires break loose, the vibrations in the wheel, and I was sliding towards the banking, turned the wheel opposite the turn and then braked enough to get grip, give back some direction, and nicked my rear wheel on the grass edge.
My personal experience. KUMHO'S SUCK DONKEY NADS. I burned up both sets in a fury the next day, and THEY CHUNKED OFF...like...

-End Story.
There's definitely a double-standard here. Kumho tires are standard equipment on Kia Motors products. People here make fun of Korean cars. It's funny, the new Hyundai has a 6-spd and Michelin Pilot sports standard in 17". Think about it when you're taking delivery of your 2.5 Altima S that cost more, has steelies and a one less gear and 20 less HP.

Where are Nokia cell phones built? Korea. Finland is not exactly expensive labor relative to Sweden and Norway, but still they turn to Korea for cheap labor. Does Japan have cheap labor? Not really. Does Korea excel at anything? Why yes, LCD flat panel screens, best in the world.

But one has to be realistic about tires. Again, I'll choose Japan over China and Korea. But maybe that'll be different in 15 years if Japan keeps sleeping. Sumitomo is behind the 8-ball in brand-recognition as it's a saturated arena. Brigestone now has a sour taste and OEM Dunlop is questionable (standard on GXE Sentra). What would be nice is if Nissan shod their cars with Michelin Pilots, as does Hyundai.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:03 PM

I'd like to see more people try the Falken FK-451

Not too many commentaries on those here or on the internet.... Sound like good tires though, from what I have seen.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Bman
I'd like to see more people try the Falken FK-451

Not too many commentaries on those here or on the internet.... Sound like good tires though, from what I have seen.
Aggressive pattern, but doesn't live up to its looks.

Another Nitto.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

How about Falken Azenis ??
Old 04-24-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
How about Falken Azenis ??
A few of the WRX guys got them, but no word yet, looks like a Parada Bite Off...but

-Nothing Positive, Nothing Negative, Yet.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:17 AM

I have the sumitomo's. I like them but have nothing to compare them too cept Nitto 555r for d/r

Nitto 555s suck! i had them before..they're decent for everyday street driving...but at the limit, they just suck!
Old 04-24-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

Nitto 555s suck! i had them before..they're decent for everyday street driving...but at the limit, they just suck!
He meants the Drag Radials 555R Not the 555 Street Tire.

I got one of Nittos defective 555 Street Tires which blew out at 30 mph w/ approximately 8 miles after I had them installed on 17x8 Konig Rims.

-Bad Omens.