General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:32 PM

True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

I am very pleased. Let me give you a little background, I have a JWT intake, and Y and I have a manual tranmission. The most noticable difference was LOW-END power I removed the resonator because I thought I would get a throatier sound and maybe better throttle response. When when I intially I got the intake I stated along with many others I did not feel a lowend loss; I thought there was no low end loss. Now that I have removed the resonator I feel I might have initially lost some low-end with the intake, ( 4 months ago) but upon removing the resonator:

1. The sound is more refined better than JWT w/ resonator
2. Throttle feels more responsive
3 The gears feel as though they pull considerably harder.

The only negative was my idle dropped and I had adjust it to get back to normal.

I think it is definetely worth removing the resonator.

While out testing intake a totally destroyed a Mustang v6 and a new Camry

**Special thanks to Dave B in KC
Old 02-01-2002, 09:00 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I barely notice any change when fiddlin' with the intake..it seems this resonator is too insignificant to make you actually feel the change..I mean I barely noticed the change with my Y at first. (but now the midrange pull puts a smile on my face )

Anywhoo its late and i donno what im sayin so im happy about your lil' resonator and what not
Old 02-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

Originally posted by ivolley
I am very pleased. Let me give you a little background, I have a JWT intake, and Y and I have a manual tranmission. The most noticable difference was LOW-END power I removed the resonator because I thought I would get a throatier sound and maybe better throttle response. When when I intially I got the intake I stated along with many others I did not feel a lowend loss; I thought there was no low end loss. Now that I have removed the resonator I feel I might have initially lost some low-end with the intake, ( 4 months ago) but upon removing the resonator:

The only negative was my idle dropped and I had adjust it to get back to normal.

If your idle is lower you probably have a air leak before your Throttle Body. Adjusting your idle with the screw will just cover up the problem for a little bit, then your ECU will compinsate for your adjustment and then your idle will probably become low again.

I also noticed when I installed my franken ram section that my throttle response became much better and the sound was terrific.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:32 PM

I removed my resonator about 3 weeks ago and it was definitely worthwhile for me. The intake is throatier and I think it helps out some. Too bad I just got my Gtech today or else I could have tested to see the difference.
-hype
Old 02-02-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

how did you get rid of the the resonator, did you get a pr upper tube? where did you get it for and how much? is it possible to use the upper tube with the stock airbox instead of an intake?
Old 02-02-2002, 08:50 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

pat- seems like your converting.. hehehe.. you will be in the club soon.. that voice is gonna start talking less and less
Old 02-02-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

Originally posted by ne max

how did you get rid of the the resonator, did you get a pr upper tube? where did you get it for and how much? is it possible to use the upper tube with the stock airbox instead of an intake?
Yes the upper piece came from Place Racing for ~$100 shipped. You can use it with a stock airbox because it goes after the MAF.
-hype
Old 02-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

www.frankencar.com

that's what we do, i still believe and you are backing me up that it does help more then just the sound ot take out the resonator.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
www.frankencar.com

that's what we do, i still believe and you are backing me up that it does help more then just the sound ot take out the resonator.
so is the frankenintake the pr upper tube with a k&n cone filter at the end of it, or is it different? also, when do you expect to be making 4th gen intakes?
Old 02-02-2002, 01:20 PM

so is the frankenintake the pr upper tube with a k&n cone filter at the end of it, or is it different? also, when do you expect to be making 4th gen intakes?
it is the same idea as that yes. it is OUR OWN tube with a adapter plate and a k/n filter on the end. we expect to make 4th gens ones in about a month or less.

-steve
Old 02-02-2002, 01:57 PM

www.frankencar.com

I would agree that I am basically supporting your intake I already owned a JWT Pop charger and I wanted to get the upper piece rather than waiting for your intake to come out so the timing wasn't right. If nothing else removing the resonator makes the engine bay easier to access. The only reservation I have about the Frankencar intake are the breather filters. I looked on your website and didn't see any on the 5th Gen intake, but from my past experience breather filters usually introduce a whistle of sorts.
-hype
Old 02-02-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

I wanted to order the upper piece from the CAI but I decided to fabricate a set up. I ran 3" heavy duty hose from the throttle body and installed the hose in the appropriate places. Do a search using "intake and heatshied" you will see a posting by Dave B and there is a picture of his set up. I decided not to purchase the upper pipe and use that money instead for spark plugs and fuel filter. Go for it, you will not be dissapointed.

Old 02-02-2002, 05:54 PM

Bags, you taught how to do this "THE VOICES OF REASON I just need to get rid of the 4X4 look and I think I will be done for now.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bags533
pat- seems like your converting.. hehehe.. you will be in the club soon.. that voice is gonna start talking less and less [/QUOTE
Old 02-02-2002, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: True confession, I removed my resonator from intake and......

I wanted to order the upper piece from the CAI but I decided to fabricate a set up. I ran 3" heavy duty hose from the throttle body and installed the hose in the appropriate places. Do a search using "intake and heatshied" you will see a posting by Dave B and there is a picture of his set up. I decided not to purchase the upper pipe and use that money instead for spark plugs and fuel filter. Go for it, you will not be dissapointed.

if it helps out in the low-end like you say, i will definitely try this setup (i have autotragic )
Old 02-02-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

I would agree that I am basically supporting your intake I already owned a JWT Pop charger and I wanted to get the upper piece rather than waiting for your intake to come out so the timing wasn't right. If nothing else removing the resonator makes the engine bay easier to access. The only reservation I have about the Frankencar intake are the breather filters. I looked on your website and didn't see any on the 5th Gen intake, but from my past experience breather filters usually introduce a whistle of sorts.
-hype
the breather filter was only for the prototype. we integrate the hoses now, just like PR. so no reservations
Old 02-03-2002, 05:30 AM

it is the same idea as that yes. it is OUR OWN tube with a adapter plate and a k/n filter on the end. we expect to make 4th gens ones in about a month or less.

-steve
how is your tube design different from the pr tube? and for how much are you expecting to sell your upper tube only?
Old 02-03-2002, 05:52 AM

how is your tube design different from the pr tube? and for how much are you expecting to sell your upper tube only?
the design is basically the same but we are gonna sell it for lir 60-65 where the place racing one is 100.

-steve