General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 06:09 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

(Good Steve): noooooo...my wonderful sensible car is officially dead!!! :-(
(Bad Steve): Time to get something faster...muhahaha!! :-D

My settlement couldn't have gotten any better. If anybody here is eligible for USAA ( www.usaa.com ) insurance then you should seriously consider getting it.

Now...what to get.

WRX 5spd or 97-99 Maxima 5spd

I've ruled out all other cars - it's down to these two and only these two.

The WRX
Handles awesome, very fast, decent equipment levels, but not a lot of passenger room. AWD is a bonus, very tuneable, and in wagon form it's very practical. There's a chance I'll be moving up to the Northern climates (Chicago / Minnesota) in a year or so, so the AWD would definitely be a very big plus here. I don't need much room anyways so the small size isn't really a problem.

The Maxima
Good compromise between luxury (comfort) and performance. Not as tuneable. Much cheaper, but I'm afraid to buy a used car and don't have the time to deal with a car that could start falling apart soon after I get it. Plus, I think anyone that buys a 5spd Maxima is much more likely to drive the snot out of it than an automagic. I wouldn't buy an automagic, but I'm just scared of used cars. I live on my own and need a guaranteed-to-be-reliable car.

===========

What would help me out the most (as far as swaying me towards the Maxima) is if you guys that got your Maxima's used could tell me about your experiences. How did you buy it? (Private owner, dealership, certified used) And has it been reliable?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 06:13 AM
Administrator

WRX can be made fast.. but the tranny is **** and you will be upgrading parts because you will want to go faster and faster.. second of all every light you stop at you will have a rice boy and thier mother trying to race you.. that and its fugly..

ok how much is the settlement? tell me if its enough to pick up a 97 5spd ($8000) and a Supercharger ($3250) .. if thats the case? then just get a smaller pulley (3.125) with the SC.. you have a nice sleeper.. people only race you because they think you are slow and you can have lots of fun.. nice.. big.. lots of cargo room and passenger room.. and its a nice conservative daily driver..

ok if you are considering the WRX.. then thats enough money to get a 97 5spd.. Supercharge it.. do engine work $1200 and go 14 PSI boost body kit, rims, you can have a sweet 97 5spd with all that money..

its a no brainer stevie.. why did you even get me all worked up..
Old 02-03-2002, 06:15 AM
Administrator

sorry forgot the used car part..

i bought my 97 5spd a little over 1 year ago.. it had 60k miles and it costed me 10g's.. so far i have beat the living **** out of it.. day by day.. night by night.. i live by the "drive it like you stole it" philosophy.. i have put 100 shot of NOS on it.. i race it constantly.. i do clutch dumps, burnouts.. constant races.. e-brake turns..

and so far i have.. replaced plugs, fuel fitler, air filter, oil, and thats pretty much it steve..
Old 02-03-2002, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sprint is right.

He does beat his car and the thing won't die. I live alone too and my Max hasn't missed a beat.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:12 AM

You're asking what you should get on a Maxima board? Well I'm going to have to go with Sprite and say get the 4th gen w/ a supercharger. Unless... you're interested in a good deal on the car in my sig.

Stereodude
Old 02-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Stereodude
You're asking what you should get on a Maxima board? Well I'm going to have to go with Sprite and say get the 4th gen w/ a supercharger. Unless... you're interested in a good deal on the car in my sig.

Stereodude
you do have a 4th Gen in your sig
Old 02-03-2002, 07:17 AM
Administrator

changed it real quick...eh
Old 02-03-2002, 07:21 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by SprintMax
you do have a 4th Gen in your sig

you mean "you do NOT have a 4th gen in your sig"
Old 02-03-2002, 07:30 AM

changed it real quick...eh
Actually I changed it early yesterday. I'm surprised no one has guessed what the car is.

Stereodude
Old 02-03-2002, 07:32 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Stereodude
Actually I changed it early yesterday. I'm surprised no one has guessed what the car is.

Stereodude
well it says lumina on the woodgrain...
Old 02-03-2002, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

Old 02-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Vic

Re: Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

get a WRX =)

Originally posted by SteVTEC

My settlement couldn't have gotten any better. If anybody here is eligible for USAA ( www.usaa.com ) insurance then you should seriously consider getting it.

Now...what to get.

The WRX
Handles awesome, very fast, decent equipment levels, but not a lot of passenger room. AWD is a bonus, very tuneable, and in wagon form it's very practical. There's a chance I'll be moving up to the Northern climates (Chicago / Minnesota) in a year or so, so the AWD would definitely be a very big plus here. I don't need much room anyways so the small size isn't really a problem.

The Maxima
Good compromise between luxury (comfort) and performance. Not as tuneable. Much cheaper, but I'm afraid to buy a used car and don't have the time to deal with a car that could start falling apart soon after I get it. Plus, I think anyone that buys a 5spd Maxima is much more likely to drive the snot out of it than an automagic. I wouldn't buy an automagic, but I'm just scared of used cars. I live on my own and need a guaranteed-to-be-reliable car.

===========

What would help me out the most (as far as swaying me towards the Maxima) is if you guys that got your Maxima's used could tell me about your experiences. How did you buy it? (Private owner, dealership, certified used) And has it been reliable?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

Originally posted by Vic
get a WRX =)

no get a minivan
Old 02-03-2002, 07:39 AM

Old 02-03-2002, 07:40 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

Originally posted by Vic
get a WRX =)

are you still mad about losing you max??? if you get over hating RED maxima's you will feel better
Old 02-03-2002, 08:05 AM

I wonder how long it would take and how much money for a wrx to become this magnificant creature..

http://importtuner.com/archives/feat...features01.jsp
Old 02-03-2002, 08:31 AM

WRX!
Old 02-03-2002, 08:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My advice to you, SteVTEC

i bought my 97 5spd a little over 1 year ago.. it had 60k miles and it costed me 10g's.. so far i have beat the living **** out of it.. day by day.. night by night.. i live by the "drive it like you stole it" philosophy.. i have put 100 shot of NOS on it.. i race it constantly.. i do clutch dumps, burnouts.. constant races.. e-brake turns..

and so far i have.. replaced plugs, fuel fitler, air filter, oil, and thats pretty much it steve..
You might not want to buy Sprite's Max

Sounds to me like you're really aiming for the WRX because of the reliability/warranty. Most people I know that consider those reasons never buy used. They can't seem to sleep at night

What about waiting for that Mitsu Lancer EVO whatever the hell it is? or the G35. If you can wait a little, your options may open up for you. I realize you have problems fitting in a new Max, but maybe the 350Z or the G35 will be a perfect fit? My dealer told me that their first 350Z is supposedly on it's way to them - whether that means it's just being built or it's on a truck, I don't know. Hell, maybe he's yanking my chain, you know how sales guys can be when they don't want to go out and scrape ice/snow off the cars on the lot.

Buy a beater temporarily until you can be completely satisfied with your decision, you don't want to rush this choice.

Albert
Old 02-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...And has it been reliable?

Thanks
Well I can say that I have access to both vehicles in question. You see my buddy has best of both worlds. A WRX(Wagon) and a 99 4th genSE. I have a 5th genSE.

We drove all three back to back, but could not really pound on the WRX due to it only having 600 miles on it.

WRX: Very tight. Between the clutch and "snick-snick" gearbox (really short throws compared to the Maxima), made both the 4th gen and 5th gen seem like sloppy seconds. The MOMO steering wheel has some really good feedback in it (due to suspension not name brand to those that are going there) to have a better idea whats going on on the road. No extreme body roll even through some aggressive twisties around my place.

Visibility is o.k. there are some blind spots because of outside mirror placement.

There is severe turbo lag under 3K. So much that I was outlaunching him at the line, but again he is not going to magazine launch it. Over 3K.. its nice, but we did not exceed 4K. Break in period again.

I am glad that interior space is not a consideration because the damn thing is small inside. I am 6' and had to scootch the chair almost all the way back which left about 4" of leg clearance in the back seat: Read if you be over 6' and have rear seat passengers...better be a short trip. Cargo space is going to be great when seats are down in the wagon. I "think" you could almost put a sheet of drywall in but not for sure. But the quality is kinda cheesy. Not bad, just a little below even the 4th gen. By far my 5th gen is holding up much better with less squeeks and wear. Gauges read ok, but placement is goofy to me. Illuminates well at night.

The engine bay is small, but not tight. The air induction is all weird as it routes through the engine bay, through fender and back into the engine bay???? An aftermarket filter system is a must. Where the turbo is situated, you could put one the size of watermelon on it with no clearance issues.

4thGen: better power off the line. size and comfortability. Even with FSTB and RSB body roll is definately evident. Steering is way light and agravate the body roll issue. Mirrors are better placed and visibility seems better, but could be a mind thing.

Overall like you have already said or its been said. For speed and a "drivers" car get the WRX. For comfort get the Max. We cant test longevity of any of the cars because they are all fairly new. No warranty work on his (4th gen and WRX) but I had a vent replaced in the 5th gen and have the fuel cut issue but don't want them (NIssan) monkeying around with the electronics.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:42 AM

if your looking for used 5 spd stories... I bought my 96 about 2 years ago from a dealer. Car had about 38k miles on it and was just off lease (i'm guessing). Car was in MINT condition. Honestly it looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor (boy did i **** it up ). Anyway... i'm now 2 years later... at 85k miles - and really drive the **** out of it... and it hasn't asked for anything but oil and gas.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Vic

Re: Re: Re: Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??

not mad at all, in fact i'm glad i did it. I got rid of it because my company gave a free ride for business and personal use. I gas it, I floor it, I burn it, I don't give a crap. They pay for insurance, they pay for gas and maintenance. The only thing they did not give me is a parking spot in my area. So why bother having my maxima around when i'm saving big a$$ money and I can buy any car I want now? I'm sick and tired of these guys mentioning about my lose. I'm sick and tired of these newbies talking crap about me when their mom/dad purchased the car they are driving now and can't afford mods. Let the guy decide on what car he wants. He wants an opinion, and I do like the 4WD WRX more. Are you becoming one those kids that get ****ed cuz your maxima is almighty and lost to a 'vette? Then your becoming another Honduh boy. I have nothing against maxima's and I'm still happy to help other maxima owners. So next time when ANYONE has something to say about me, IM me. yeh, i still hate red max's =)
i'm done venting... and SPRINT thanks for reminding me.
Vic

are you still mad about losing you max??? if you get over hating RED maxima's you will feel better
Old 02-03-2002, 10:48 AM

WRX can be made fast.. but the tranny is **** and you will be upgrading parts because you will want to go faster and faster.. second of all every light you stop at you will have a rice boy and thier mother trying to race you.. that and its fugly..

ok how much is the settlement? tell me if its enough to pick up a 97 5spd ($8000) and a Supercharger ($3250) .. if thats the case? then just get a smaller pulley (3.125) with the SC.. you have a nice sleeper.. people only race you because they think you are slow and you can have lots of fun.. nice.. big.. lots of cargo room and passenger room.. and its a nice conservative daily driver..

ok if you are considering the WRX.. then thats enough money to get a 97 5spd.. Supercharge it.. do engine work $1200 and go 14 PSI boost body kit, rims, you can have a sweet 97 5spd with all that money..

its a no brainer stevie.. why did you even get me all worked up..

damn, this is right on the money and should be made a sticky, just this post of course i hear steve posting 12s in the near future
Old 02-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by redmaxpa69

Well you don't need to worry about that...You'll be alone soon enough!
Old 02-03-2002, 11:03 AM

And your curb side o2 sensor change which I think you did with your cousin

Tuff choice Steve, I would definatly have to drive a WRX to tell you how I feel about which car to get. The 4th gen maxima is a very nice reliable car, much like Sprint I have beat the $hit out of my 95 max on a daily bases and other then fried clutches the car has been very good.(104K miles on it)
Old 02-03-2002, 11:13 AM

Get a jag x-type. It is a nice compromise between both cars.

4gen max's are nice cars. I wish I had one, but I got my car with similar options and specs for about 5k less. The front of the 4th gen is one of the best designs, imo.
WRX is a nice car as well. It's a nice fast car, but if you plan on taking your family around in it, you might want to go the other route.

Go drive each of them and take your time deciding. From some of your posts, it seemed that after you bought your accord, you sort of wished that you could have waited for a 6 speed 2k2, so take your time man. Don't let us make up your mind, go to a dealer and feel each car.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:25 PM

I say go work out more & make yr legs thinner & buy the 6spd max.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:15 PM

Are you sure wanting a car like the WRX isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the plain-jane Accord? I say get a Maxima and do some suspension mods, you'll be right up there in handling. Plus you'll have at least $10k in the bank.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:24 PM

Now...what to get.

The WRX

The Maxima

===========

Thanks
WRX would definitely be more of a blast to drive, it didn't end up on the C&D 10 Best for nothing. It's got good company like Focus, 3 & 5 Series, Integra, Accord.

If it were me I'd chill--totalling a V6 Accord is a shame. That car would probably go 15-years without any issues.

Like someone else said, maybe get a beater at least until the bad weather is behind. Why put an additional year of winter wear/tear on a vehicle?
Old 02-03-2002, 08:09 PM

Well guys, I think I've found my ride

At the beginning of the day I really was leaning towards a WRX because my insurnace settlement was so damned good that I thought I might as well just spring for a "new" car. But because of some reservations from the woman, she convinced me (yes, SHE convinced me) to spend the day checking out Gen4 Max's.

GOD DAMN AM I GLAD I DID!!!!

The VQ is simply awesome - this was my first time driving one hooked up to the 5spd. It may not pull as hard as a WRX, but it has serious ***** (relatively) down low and in the mid-range. The VQ would pull away strongly from low speed in 3rd or 4th gear that the EJ20 would have lagged like mad on in the WRX out of the boost range. Plus the Maxima is simply so much more luxurious. Bose system, leather, moonroof, useable back seat, much larger trunk, etc... I think you could say I've seen the light.

I got a little discouraged by this afternoon because a lot of the 5spds in my area just seemed really beat up. Some didn't drive right and felt like the whole front-end was out of alignment. Others had tons of scratches and paint problems. But hot DAMN I finally found the following...

1999 Maxima SE 5spd - LOADED - MINT CONDITION.
Leather, Bose, Moonroof, Full Power seats, side airbags, everything.
Just off lease with 44,000 miles.
Test drove it and it was perfect.
No body or under-hood rust or anything - definitely garage-kept.
Perfect paint and exterior - no chips or scratches.
Clean title.

I'm in love!!!!!

The salesperson ran some numbers by me but I said I'd think about it and left - it was close of business anyways so the risk of someone snatching it out from under me was minimal.

I'm going back first thing in the morning to negotiate out a deal and put a refundable deposit down on it.

By the end of the week I should have insurance and loan issues sorted out and closed on my Accord and hopefully I'll be able to take delivery by Friday.

Wish me luck guys!!!
Old 02-03-2002, 08:46 PM

Well guys, I think I've found my ride

At the beginning of the day I really was leaning towards a WRX because my insurnace settlement was so damned good that I thought I might as well just spring for a "new" car. But because of some reservations from the woman, she convinced me (yes, SHE convinced me) to spend the day checking out Gen4 Max's.

GOD DAMN AM I GLAD I DID!!!!

The VQ is simply awesome - this was my first time driving one hooked up to the 5spd. It may not pull as hard as a WRX, but it has serious ***** (relatively) down low and in the mid-range. The VQ would pull away strongly from low speed in 3rd or 4th gear that the EJ20 would have lagged like mad on in the WRX out of the boost range. Plus the Maxima is simply so much more luxurious. Bose system, leather, moonroof, useable back seat, much larger trunk, etc... I think you could say I've seen the light.

I got a little discouraged by this afternoon because a lot of the 5spds in my area just seemed really beat up. Some didn't drive right and felt like the whole front-end was out of alignment. Others had tons of scratches and paint problems. But hot DAMN I finally found the following...

1999 Maxima SE 5spd - LOADED - MINT CONDITION.
Leather, Bose, Moonroof, Full Power seats, side airbags, everything.
Just off lease with 44,000 miles.
Test drove it and it was perfect.
No body or under-hood rust or anything - definitely garage-kept.
Perfect paint and exterior - no chips or scratches.
Clean title.

I'm in love!!!!!

The salesperson ran some numbers by me but I said I'd think about it and left - it was close of business anyways so the risk of someone snatching it out from under me was minimal.

I'm going back first thing in the morning to negotiate out a deal and put a refundable deposit down on it.

By the end of the week I should have insurance and loan issues sorted out and closed on my Accord and hopefully I'll be able to take delivery by Friday.

Wish me luck guys!!!
good job steve, what color? 99 maxima ownz everyone.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
good job steve, what color? 99 maxima ownz everyone.

Super Black (or whatever that color is called) with gray-ish leather interior.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:54 PM

Congrats!! Welcome (officially) to the family!

Old 02-03-2002, 09:02 PM

Also remember to stop whoring in the 5th gen forum, u gotta use the 4th gen one from now on.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Also remember to stop whoring in the 5th gen forum, u gotta use the 4th gen one from now on.

Old 02-03-2002, 09:12 PM

What kind of mods do you plan on doing?
Old 02-03-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by emax95
What kind of mods do you plan on doing?
Intake and Y-Pipe first. Maybe an RT cat. Probably a FSTB/RSB setup too. I'd keep the wheels/suspension stock though. No FI either. I need to maintain reliability.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:18 AM

Congratulations, Steve. Just think how lucky the 4th gen guys will be now. You contributed plenty to the org while owning an Accord, can't imagine how much posting you'll do now.

Albert
Old 02-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Intake and Y-Pipe first. Maybe an RT cat. Probably a FSTB/RSB setup too. I'd keep the wheels/suspension stock though. No FI either. I need to maintain reliability.
VQ just gets better with a Supercharger.. check TBag with 130k on his SC 95 running 10 PSI
Old 02-04-2002, 04:55 AM

akrus - thanks

Sprint - why are you trying to sell me an S/C?
Old 02-04-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
I wonder how long it would take and how much money for a wrx to become this magnificant creature..

http://importtuner.com/archives/feat...features01.jsp
That chick is in the way and I can't see the car.

Quick Reply: Official - My Accord V6 Totalled - What To Get? Used Max or...??