General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Compression Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:45 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Compression Test Results

I finially got around to doing a compression test today. Here are the results (in PSI):

1: 182
2: 180
3: 179
4: 181
5: 186
6: 181

Note that these numbers are +/- 2 or 3 because my guage is marked in increments of 5psi. I just estimated numbers that fell in between marks.

Any thoughts? Any reason you wouldn't install the NOS? I know factory is 185, so these numbers seem pretty good for an engine with 60k miles.

Also...my kit came with an extendor of sorts that I decided to try to see if it made things any easier...using that piece my readings where all in the 160's. Anyone else seen anything like that?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:49 AM

Either set of numbers would be good.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Compression Test Results

Where do we go to get a compression test done? And for how much? Thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 10:56 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Compression Test Results

Originally posted by medicsonic
Either set of numbers would be good.
Medic - what you do mean "either set"?

Originally posted by N1sMO
Where do we go to get a compression test done? And for how much? Thanks
Your driveway. $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39224

You can get a tester from the link above for $20. If you can change your spark plugs you can do a compression test.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Compression Test Results

Originally posted by ejj5875

Your driveway. $20.

You can get a tester from the link above for $20. If you can change your spark plugs you can do a compression test.
i can't
Old 02-03-2002, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Compression Test Results

Your driveway. $20.

Even if it was 160, 162, 163, etc, those numbers are still fine. Your looking for a number that should be at least 145, so anything CONSISTANTLY above that number is fine.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

ejj5875:

How does it do test the compression? Does it pump air into the cylinder, do you turn the the crank, what? I would like to invest in one.

Dave
Old 02-03-2002, 09:20 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you remove the spark plugs all of them, then you put in a pressure reader with an air gauge. crank the car three times and take the first and last numbers from the first and third crank.. then just take the reader out and go from valve to valve...

you'll need to get the compression reader from like an auto parts store. i think they go for like 100$? i dunno.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
ejj5875:

How does it do test the compression? Does it pump air into the cylinder, do you turn the the crank, what? I would like to invest in one.

Dave
Just unscrew all your spark plugs, then screw the compression tester piece into your spark plug hole. Then just go inside your car and turn the key and let the starter crank for 5 seconds. Then run out and look at the reading on your gauge. Do this to all 6 of your cylinders. I bought my compression piece at pep boys for $20.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:26 AM
ejj

Dave -

What Emax said. The guage records the MAX pressure, not a clumitive (s?) one. So you can crank the engine for as long as you would like. It will just stop reading once it gets to the top.

The link above points to the site where I bought my tester. Its really easy to do. Like I said, if you can change spark plugs then you can do a compression test. I suppose I should do a write up, 'cause I don't think I've seen one any where that is Max specific.

Cheston - $100? Could you be refering to equiptment for a leak down test?
Old 02-04-2002, 05:41 AM

You really should have 2 people doing the test, you want to see how fast the pressure builds also.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:49 AM
Administrator

i thought you had to pull the fuel pump fuse?
Old 02-04-2002, 06:16 AM
ejj

Originally posted by SprintMax
i thought you had to pull the fuel pump fuse?
You should, but I read that you don't have to. I have a generic Automotive book ( my brother is an auto tech student so I steal his old books ) and it doesn't state that you have to. I was also looking around the 'net last night and found that there are several people who just recommend it, because if you don't it will make quite a mess and make the car harder to start when your done. You may even have to let it sit for a hour or so with no plugs to get the gas evoperate.

This is something that I'd have to look into further, 'cause I want to do a test on my gf's 92 Mirage, but can't find a way to kill the fuel pump...I may just have to deal with the mess. Anyone know an answer to this? Do you have to kill the fuel pump?

Sprint...why can't you do a compression test? Can you not kill your fuel pump?

medic - You can watch it from in the car if your hose on the guage is long enough. I just angled the guage so I could see what it was doing.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:22 AM
Administrator

i am too stupid to do the test

You should, but I read that you don't have to. I have a generic Automotive book ( my brother is an auto tech student so I steal his old books ) and it doesn't state that you have to. I was also looking around the 'net last night and found that there are several people who just recommend it, because if you don't it will make quite a mess and make the car harder to start when your done. You may even have to let it sit for a hour or so with no plugs to get the gas evoperate.

This is something that I'd have to look into further, 'cause I want to do a test on my gf's 92 Mirage, but can't find a way to kill the fuel pump...I may just have to deal with the mess. Anyone know an answer to this? Do you have to kill the fuel pump?

medic - You can watch it from in the car if your hose on the guage is long enough. I just angled the guage so I could see what it was doing.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:26 AM

None of the ones I have used was long enough. Cool idea though...
Old 02-04-2002, 06:29 AM
ejj

None of the ones I have used was long enough. Cool idea though...
Yeah, it was not really possiable to read the guage, but I could see the needle moving, which is all I really wanted. I'm sure you could buy the fittings and hose to make your own extension if you really wanted. Hell, you could make it long enough to take the guage into the car with you.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:32 AM
ejj

Originally posted by SprintMax
i am too stupid to do the test

I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:46 AM

You really should have 2 people doing the test, you want to see how fast the pressure builds also.
If the gauge is half way decent and can hold the pressure then there is no neeed for two people. As for how fast the pressure builds? What are you going to learn from watching that? I don't think there is any thing you can learn from watching that.

Sprint, you can do it.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by emax95

If the gauge is half way decent and can hold the pressure then there is no neeed for two people. As for how fast the pressure builds? What are you going to learn from watching that? I don't think there is any thing you can learn from watching that.

Sprint, you can do it.

A car with worn piston rings will show low compression the first 2 or three cranks, but if you aren't watching the guage, then you'll never know.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:32 PM

A car with worn piston rings will show low compression the first 2 or three cranks, but if you aren't watching the guage, then you'll never know.
How fast should it go up? I mean if I am watching it is it the speed that it builds up or the number it builds up to on the first two I should look for?

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 01:34 PM
ejj

Originally posted by SuDZ

How fast should it go up? I mean if I am watching it is it the speed that it builds up or the number it builds up to on the first two I should look for?

SuDZ
The guage will only "jump" as fast as the engine will crank. The less it cranks it takes to get to full pressure the better. Mine took 4-5 cranks to get there...and then would inch up about 5psi over the next 10 cranks.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

SuDZ
You should be at full compression within 3 cranks.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:20 PM

Cool. Thanks guys.

SuDZ
Old 03-09-2002, 02:12 PM

I think it is worth mentioning that you shouldn't crank and crank on your starter for long periods of time without letting it rest.

I think cranking for more than 15 seconds at a time is pushing it with out a short rest for the starter.

I think I'm going to check mine out with 178,000 miles on the clock and see where it is at.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

You can make a jumper wire to connect to the starter trigger wire and the other end to the battery to crank the car from under the hood just be sure its out of gear then your fuel pump wont run and you will be able to see the readings without getting in and out.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

No one seem to have mentioned

Along with removing all the plugs, to keep the TB at WOT while getting your compression readings. I always thought that was the proper way to get the readings.