General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what should i do with my suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 07:42 PM

what should i do with my suspension?

I was just driving home after the game, and i saw a wrx flying past me in the next lane. the highway was completely empty and so i decide to get up to speed and get a look at what the car could do. when he saw me draw closer to him, he sped up and so did i. i was readily able to keep up with him at about 95 mph and the road was straight until it started to curve a bit. but my max's body started to roll like crazy - i needed to use both lanes to keep the car on the road! i backed off because the car felt so unstable and i watched the wrx continue on through the curves like they were nothing. the only mod i have is fstb, everything else completely stock which of course includes the soft gle springs. i wanted to keep stock springs to avoid becoming a snow plow and keep the ride comfortable, but upgrade to agx's, rsb, and maybe sfc's. will these upgrades be enough for me to at least keep up with a car like the wrx or do i really need to change the springs?
Old 02-03-2002, 07:46 PM

rsb and kyb's will def. help, springs really do not do that much but lower your car and ur center of gravity. in my opinion i think kyb's and rsb will work, but hey might as well get springs while ur at it
Old 02-03-2002, 07:46 PM

You will need springs, and even with springs you won't be able to handle like a WRX.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: what should i do with my suspension?

RSB is a must. Get H&R springs and AGX or Koni shocks and you'll feel more secure while cornering at high speeds.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman
You will need springs, and even with springs you won't be able to handle like a WRX.
i know, i guess that would be stretching it a little. but i felt like crap when i had to back off completely just to keep control of my car, and watched the other car just disappear from sight.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:06 PM
KCTYPHOON

the absolute best bang for the buck is the addco rsb.. with that alone your car will handle completely different. this was my first suspension mod and i also have a gle. i can tell you first hand that you will be more than happy with it. you already have the front stiffened a bit, now do the rear. you cant even compare the differences they each make. theres no such thing as " driving around to see if you can feel a difference". you will, a big one... also, springs do make a difference in handeling. h&r's are 30% stiffer than stock, eibach's are 50% stiffer. i dunno why anyone would say they dont make a difference. but my advice you to just do the rsb for now and go from there. if you want more than worry about doing springs and struts, but take it one step at a time so you can tell how much of a difference each mod is making and stop when your happy with it.

Old 02-03-2002, 08:41 PM

The best thing you can do is spend a couple of days at a racing school. Take what you have learned and your car to the track a few times to learn your car and you will be smoking most people on the road with even the best cars.

It's all about skill my friend.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:09 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by MaxRPM
The best thing you can do is spend a couple of days at a racing school. Take what you have learned and your car to the track a few times to learn your car and you will be smoking most people on the road with even the best cars.

ummm.. just get a rsb.

Old 02-03-2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by MaxRPM

but theres only so much you can do until you push the car to the limits.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:09 AM

That's what used to happen to me when my car was completely stock, I used to get left behind when the curves came around. Now I have a Stillen FSTB (also RSTB but not installed yet, heard it doesn't make much of a difference), Addco RSB and more importantly KYB AGX struts. I'm running all that with stock SE springs and wheels. But believe me now I can keep up with all the good handling cars out there on the curves and it doesn't feel like my life is on the line. So just do those few things and you'll be fine, I also have H&R springs and some 17" performance wheels/tires coming so I'll be SET after that as far as handling is concerned.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Nismo

but theres only so much you can do until you push the car to the limits.
yes, that's exactly what i meant - learning how to handle the car wasn't even an issue because i HAD to back off or else i would've flown off the road! but i do intend to go to a racing school sometime (once i have the time and the $$ of course). i am definitely going to get the rsb soon, and will get the agx's this summer, and then decide if i want to go any further. thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IIRC, a Max like yours should come with 215 width tires. I think people have fit tires as wide as 245 width in the 17" size given the right offset rim. Do that with an aggressive tire and you will improve your cornering limits dramatically, although this is fairly expensive and won't help with body lean.