General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? everyones ditching the maxima?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 11:41 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? everyones ditching the maxima?!

Lately all I see is people selling off EVERYTHING off their cars...usually that means that they want to get rid of their car...
WHATS GOING ON?

This makes me feel like crap now...I hate being all excited about modding my car, saving up $400+ for EACH mod only to see "FS: EVERYTING OFF MY CAR" Now I'm reconsidering that VB mod I was saving up for..."What if I want to get rid of my car soon?" - me thinks. There go all the mods I had planned. Whats the point of the Y-Pipe? I dont race my car. Whats the point of the body kit? I dont care what people think of my car. Whats the point of lowering my car? I might have to return it to stock soon...

I know this is stupid but it makes me feel like "HMM, are they selling the car because it's slow? maybe I shouldt buy all that stuff...maybe I should buy a Celica GTS...wait no Im not a chick.."

Everytime I see someone getting rid of their max it makes me feel like I should too, its like they know something I dont know about the max's limited power. I know everyones going to say "Be different, keep your maxima." or "Dont buy the WRX, everyone has one!"
But that doesnt help. Why are all you people getting rid of your maxima, have you outgrown it? Do you need more speed?WHATS UP!?!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:57 PM

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? everyones ditching the maxima?!

Originally posted by mozy
Lately all I see is people selling off EVERYTHING off their cars...usually that means that they want to get rid of their car...
WHATS GOING ON?

This makes me feel like crap now...I hate being all excited about modding my car, saving up $400+ for EACH mod only to see "FS: EVERYTING OFF MY CAR" Now I'm reconsidering that VB mod I was saving up for..."What if I want to get rid of my car soon?" - me thinks. There go all the mods I had planned. Whats the point of the Y-Pipe? I dont race my car. Whats the point of the body kit? I dont care what people think of my car. Whats the point of lowering my car? I might have to return it to stock soon...

I know this is stupid but it makes me feel like "HMM, are they selling the car because it's slow? maybe I shouldt buy all that stuff...maybe I should buy a Celica GTS...wait no Im not a chick.."

Everytime I see someone getting rid of their max it makes me feel like I should too, its like they know something I dont know about the max's limited power. I know everyones going to say "Be different, keep your maxima." or "Dont buy the WRX, everyone has one!"
But that doesnt help. Why are all you people getting rid of your maxima, have you outgrown it? Do you need more speed?WHATS UP!?!
i think it may be because they have outgrown thier Maxima. You are still in the stage where it fits you right, perfectly in fact. They probably have had thier maxima for much longer and have gotten far more enjoyment out of it than you have. Just wait until you are out of college and have every mod concievable, then it will be time for you to sell the Max

DPW
Old 02-07-2002, 12:02 AM

Here's my honest opinion. I drive a 97 SE. The Maxima flat out sucks. I hate this car, and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm still ****ed my mom forced me to buy a sedan back in the day. I shoulda went with the Impala SS I was looking at, or a BMW. You can only have a car you pick once in your life, and she stuck me with this one that she should be driving. Every day I give her crap about how all my friends drive 02 Camaro SS's and 96 Corvettes. That's beside the point.

Simple fact, nissan quality control sucks as well as the engineering. Case in point, my transmission which has given me and many members here many problems due to manufacturing carelessness (read my stickie here, "another transmission update"). If you think the 5 gens got any better, go to the 5th gen forum and they're trying to compile a list to complain to nissan about lousy paint. We even have a minima club of america, when nissan was almost bankrupt in the 4 gen days.

The engineering also sux. What 30K+ car do you see these days that use a NON independent rear suspension on a front drive car??????

Speaking of engineering, the crash test ratings also suck. Visit www.iihs.org, for the insurance institute of highway safety. The early 4 gen were the lowest rated of cars, receiving POOR (lowest rating) in frontal offset crash testing. The 5th gen's arent too much better, and still remain the lowest rated in their class.

Somewhat related to crash tests are insurance costs. A 98 LS1 Camaro z28 would have cost me (19 at the time) only $200 more per year to insure then this POS family sedan rattle trap maxima does to insure with the same company the same coverage. And I'd be having TONS of more fun in that car then this car.

Since most of us here are performance enthusiasts, there isnt many things available to make it go fast. This is UNLIKE BMW, Impala SS, Mustang/Camaro, etc. We're stuck to a few companies who can jack their prices to sky high cause they have no competition.

When you go to try to sell this car, the resale value sucks so bad, that you're maxima is worth less then the FOUR cylinder accord/camry sitting next to it. Don't believe me? Go to www.kbb.com and type it in.

The dealers in sales and leasing received the 2nd to the lowest rating in the April 2001 issue of Consumer Reports for customer satisfaction. Go figure.

OK I'm done ranting. Now I hate this car even more. My advice to anybody with a maxima is to get rid of it as fast as you can, before the heavy depreciation really bites you in the rear. If the flag ship car is so bad, I can't begin to imagine the other cars in the lineup. Buying this car I can honestly say was the worst choice I have ever made.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Here's my honest opinion. I drive a 97 SE. The Maxima flat out sucks. I hate this car, and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm still ****ed my mom forced me to buy a sedan back in the day. I shoulda went with the Impala SS I was looking at, or a BMW. You can only have a car you pick once in your life, and she stuck me with this one that she should be driving. Every day I give her crap about how all my friends drive 02 Camaro SS's and 96 Corvettes. That's beside the point.

Simple fact, nissan quality control sucks as well as the engineering. Case in point, my transmission which has given me and many members here many problems due to manufacturing carelessness (read my stickie here, "another transmission update"). If you think the 5 gens got any better, go to the 5th gen forum and they're trying to compile a list to complain to nissan about lousy paint. We even have a minima club of america, when nissan was almost bankrupt in the 4 gen days.

The engineering also sux. What 30K+ car do you see these days that use a NON independent rear suspension on a front drive car??????

Speaking of engineering, the crash test ratings also suck. Visit www.iihs.org, for the insurance institute of highway safety. The early 4 gen were the lowest rated of cars, receiving POOR (lowest rating) in frontal offset crash testing. The 5th gen's arent too much better, and still remain the lowest rated in their class.

Somewhat related to crash tests are insurance costs. A 98 LS1 Camaro z28 would have cost me (19 at the time) only $200 more per year to insure then this POS family sedan rattle trap maxima does to insure with the same company the same coverage. And I'd be having TONS of more fun in that car then this car.

Since most of us here are performance enthusiasts, there isnt many things available to make it go fast. This is UNLIKE BMW, Impala SS, Mustang/Camaro, etc. We're stuck to a few companies who can jack their prices to sky high cause they have no competition.

When you go to try to sell this car, the resale value sucks so bad, that you're maxima is worth less then the FOUR cylinder accord/camry sitting next to it. Don't believe me? Go to www.kbb.com and type it in.

The dealers in sales and leasing received the 2nd to the lowest rating in the April 2001 issue of Consumer Reports for customer satisfaction. Go figure.

OK I'm done ranting. Now I hate this car even more. My advice to anybody with a maxima is to get rid of it as fast as you can, before the heavy depreciation really bites you in the rear. If the flag ship car is so bad, I can't begin to imagine the other cars in the lineup. Buying this car I can honestly say was the worst choice I have ever made.
wow, ive known you dont like nissans for sometime now, but i didnt know it was that bad.

well, see, I got this car as a hand-me down after I crashed my 2001 corolla (not my fault. it was a fun car to get sideways, really!)
My brother used to have this car before me, he got it brand new.
He told me "I got this car because it is better than the 240SX, it has 6 cylinders, not 4. and It has more power"
I told him "Its a family sedan, why the hell did you buy a family sedan?" he told me that the 240sx was fairly comfortable, but then he started *****ing about how he wanted a "Luxurious car" I told him "why didnt you get a freaking beamer?"

so basically, im now screwed and stuck with the maxima.

thankfully I have no problems with it, it runs...thats all I know...this car is a ***** to work on because of all the problems I encountered and the constant walls people hit while trying to get new stuff made for the car.

i dont know. Im 17, stuck paying off this car at $250/month for the next 5 years. I dont get paid that much!%@%!@%! I can barely afford to pay for the car, and all these stupid mods take me about half a year each to save up for!!! I COULD **** OUT A FREAKING FOCUS FOR THE COST OF SOME OF THESE MODS!!!! Why me? I got ****ed in the *** for something I didnt even ask for. Why the hell do I need a huge-*** 4-door car, just to be different? Yes, most of the kids around here drive 2-door civics, but that doesnt meann I want to be different by driving a FAMILY SEDAN. Yeah, thats SUPER K-RAD COOL, a stock family sedan with 16" rims and a stillen lip. IM ****ING PIMPIN NOW@!$@!#%

I asked my dad, "why did you guys give me this car and not get me a new car after the corolla got totaled? i didnt total the corolla, why does my stupid brother get a brand new ****ing 4runner WITH GOLD PACKAGE????? what did he do to deserve the car?"

they said "Its cheaper to insure a 4-door car, and we like this car, nissans are good."

BAH NOW IM JUST BIITCHING. i sick of
Old 02-07-2002, 12:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ohh jeez..
Old 02-07-2002, 12:50 AM

Yeah some people are leaving their Maxs...from 5th gen Russ is leaving because of Nissan service and Punkdork is leaving because he's buying a house (?). It sucks to see the guys that were here a long time ago go..but if you notice it has nothing to do with the car..

If you want one of those awesome Corollas so bad go sell the Max and get one and ericdwong...I thought I heard last time that you didnt even pay for your car? If you didn't pay for it then quit b!tchin and buy ur own car dumass.. if I'm mistaking you for someone else then nevermind..
Old 02-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

some people juss move on to other things, regardless of the reason. simple as that

Eric, ive never had a prob with you so i dont wanna start any flames, but honestly, if you hate Nissans and Maximas so much your free to move on or not read the board anymore. it seems like you juss want to complain about sucky Nissan to everyone.

you have the same bike as me, do you think its gutless on the low end? dude the low end is so gutless my old F2 was stronger. My rear pegs always scrape when we hit up the mountains, i guess thats the sacrafice to make for comfort, but i dont complain about it, you cant have everything you want in life.

one last thing im wondering, do you really think Beemer parts are cheaper then Maxima parts? umm no, check out how much a Dinan blower goes for..9K? and electrical gremlins....man those suck!

i dont mean this as a flame, juss constructive opinion..
Old 02-07-2002, 01:34 AM

Whiners =P

God, what a bunch of whiners,

Oh no, you're parents STUCK you with this car? You ungrateful ppl.
Do you know how many ppl would KILL to have a 30,000 dollar car handed to them?
You have AC, CD player, power steering, abs, air bags, and a car that runs.

Next time that you pull up at the stoplight next to a kia or a beat up old civic, or a 1981 lincoln mercury, take a look inside at the 35 year old struggling person inside, or the 65 year old senior citizen that's worked their entire lives to be able to afford a car at all. Then after you've thought about how spoiled you are, call your parents and thank them.

Oh, what, so you pay 250 a month for your car? Do you think you could take that miserable salary that you complain so much about and purchase your own vehicle? Your parents got you a car so that you could learn responsibility.

If you want a friggin BMW, camaro, impala, or whatever then go buy it yourself.

If you think, I have no idea where you're coming from you're dead wrong. When I totalled my accord coupe last year, my parents (my insurance being under their name) took the settlement check, went out, and bought a maxima for my b-day as a surprise. A FOUR door, AUTOMAGIC, in a color I hated. But you know what? I'm SO GRATEFUL for it. Go on, ask your parents how hard they work to make ends meet for your family, or how hard they worked to get YOUR *** to where you are now.

When I was in high school, I had to share a beat up old 1989 acura legend sedan with my mother. I would get to drive the car if I had been good.

You have a late model, v6 engine sedan with some pretty nice standard options all to yourself. You can pick up a girl for a date without telling her your mom wants the car back at 10pm.

You think that with your minimum wage high school job you could even buy a saturn? You think the maxima has problems?! try a 9000 dollar car that does the quarter mile in 20+ secs.

Take your damn negativity elsewhere, this is a forum for Maxima Enthusiasts, not maxima haters.

*****This message has been edited by the author, I was angry and too harsh in my initial rant sorry =P*****
Old 02-07-2002, 02:04 AM

I have Independent Rear Suspension you UNgreatfull bastard **** I am indebt because I bought my max MYSELF and modded it MYSELF. Also sounds like your freinds are a bunch of spoiled little ****heads
Old 02-07-2002, 02:48 AM

ahhh i love this board

I stay up all night lookin' at this board and it is all great stuff, how to mod, tweak, tune your baby and then some one starts whining cause the got a car they dont want, and to top it off it is the newer version of your daily driver, I just picked up a 91 SE and felt pretty lucky on such a good deal. I agree with the past few replys, if you dont like it trade it. Maybe u can lower your payments and pick up a 80 trans-am or something your will enjoy driving thru the fields by your house. dont hate the player, hate the game.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:12 AM

[i]...maybe I should buy a Celica GTS...wait no Im not a chick.."
[/B]
Think outside the tri dude. What makes Celica a chick car, you mean excellent handling, 6-spd manual, reliability and resale value? If it's status you want Maxima is definitely thw wrong car because as far as turning heads it doesn't and hasn't since about 1996-97. If you want a car that's inexpensive to drive and easy to pay off with reasonable power, Maxima might be for you.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? everyones ditching the maxima?!

Originally posted by TintDaMax

i think it may be because they have outgrown thier Maxima. You are still in the stage where it fits you right, perfectly in fact. They probably have had thier maxima for much longer and have gotten far more enjoyment out of it than you have. Just wait until you are out of college and have every mod concievable, then it will be time for you to sell the Max

DPW

Yep. After the Maxima, I am done with Japanese FWD. Then it's nothing but AMG E55 for me.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:54 AM

Here's my honest opinion. I drive a 97 SE. The Maxima flat out sucks. I hate this car, and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm still ****ed my mom forced me to buy a sedan back in the day. I shoulda went with the Impala SS I was looking at, or a BMW. You can only have a car you pick once in your life.
Why, you're not planning on getting a job and buying your own car someday?

A 98 LS1 Camaro z28 would have cost me (19 at the time) only $200 more per year to insure then this POS family sedan rattle trap maxima does to insure with the same company the same coverage. And I'd be having TONS of more fun in that car then this car.
I won't argue with that one, but I will say it again...parents should NOT buy a 17-year old inexperienced driver something with 300 hp. Its signing their death-certificate, IMO.

I won't argue that point either. But, the stuff for an Impala SS ain't cheap either. I bought a used '96 SS in '98, and drove it until spring of 2001. My "mods" list when I traded it in included a clogged heater core, and a rear window that would roll down sideways in the track. Nice quality control over at GM too.
Thanks for your opinion. I bought my used 2000 SE two months ago to replace my totalled Sebring convertible. I really enjoy this car, and use it as my daily driver. Any time you try to push a car to its limits, you're gonna break stuff, period. And to make killer horsepower in a front-drive package is foolish...too much damn torque steer, and no traction because of the laws of physics.

Again, you have (IMO) no right to complain, since you didn't pay for the car. When I was 17 (ten years ago-I'm getting old) my first car was a rusted out 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo, but I loved it cause I paid for it with my own hard-earned cash. Believe me, you will appreciate things more once you start paying for it on your own.

I teach in a high school now, and when I hear kids whining and complaining about how mommy -n- daddy won't buy them a new car, I tell them to go and get a job!

Rant over.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:21 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Mozy- Just 1 question, If everyone jumped off a bridge would you?

Peple sell there mods/cars for whatever reasons. Why sell yours? Just rememeber if you don't mod your max , someone will.

Why did you mod your max?

sorry more than 1 question
Old 02-07-2002, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by TPI Monte SS

I won't argue with that one, but I will say it again...parents should NOT buy a 17-year old inexperienced driver something with 300 hp. Its signing their death-certificate, IMO.

We have such creative financing these days. Think hard, a BRAND NEW BMW 525i for $409/month (obviously a lease because 36 mo. 0 down would be $1172/month to buy at 7%). A tenth grader can afford it. Only 175 hp but you're kidding if you think it doesn't drive better than a 255 hp Maxima. Top speed and 0-60 it loses. But it offers other intangibles.

My coworker who got the new RSX has a 20 year-old brother, unemployed. Has a 2k2 Cobra. At the gym he told me "I only pay $740 a month for the car incl. insurance." Are you kidding me? Any idea what you can do with that kinda bread (um, maybe not blow it on a car)?

The President should tell us all to keep charging our way out of the recession. Kids, you may be used to having rich parents but I guarantee they have lost serious cash since 1995 in retirement and investments. They ought to share their experience with you so you don't have to do the same thing. Maybe they want themselves to keep up the rich appearance, I don't know. Just .02
Old 02-07-2002, 04:47 AM

My Maxima is 11 years old, takes 10.5 seconds to reach 60 mph, and probably runs a 17.5 - 18.0 in the quarter mile.

However, I am a 22 year old freshman in college. The car is completely paid for (by me), the insurance is low, and it is ultra reliable. I have spent the maintenance dollars on it and the car treats me right. Sure, it could be faster or cooler or whatever. But the car is MINE. I paid for every mod, replacement part, and tank of gas for that car with my hard earned cash. So I have a lot of pride of ownership.

I just try to remember that right now, the Maxima meets my needs. It is reliable, it is in excellent condition, and one day I will graduate and buy something else. Most college freshman either drive something mommy gave them or they have a p.o.s.

My 2 cents...
Old 02-07-2002, 05:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I hate my car too. But not because it sucks. I hate it because I have ruined it.

It was my first car, and I made some mistakes with it. It has lots of dents, and several of the body panels dont have paint that matches very well. It looks like ****.

Except for its outward appearance, it is a dream. I still love getting in it and driving it every damn day. It has given me no major problems to speak of. It has taken more than its share of abuse and stupid teenage driving habits and never ever complained. I would keep this car forever if it didnt look so bad.

That's my dilema, I love this car so much, but I hate the way it looks.

That's why I'm going to get rid of it in the next couple of years. But I will miss it, no matter what happens.

I love my ugly a$$ Maxima, and I always will.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:41 AM

all I have to do is look at this picture and I remember that my maxima is both good looking and fast. It's not like we really have any competition for 5spd fun on a budget >>
Old 02-07-2002, 06:02 AM

Most ppl who are ditching drive minimas. Not a maxima..
Old 02-07-2002, 06:23 AM
Maxima Enthusiast

Well, there maybe number of people that are selling all their mods for their car and getting rid of them, but there are alot more people who are continually modding their cars. I have a 99SE 5sp and I am always looking to see if there are any other mods I can do to my Maxima. It's not the greatest car, but it's my car and I am proud to own it. Maybe because I haven't had any problems with the car but I love the power. When I floor it, my car takes off.

Of course I want to buy everything for the car, but my car isn't my top priority. It's a hobby and I keep it that way. Whenever I have some money to spare, I save up for that next mod. For now, I don't have any intention of selling the car.

So don't worry about other people moving on to other cars. There are still plenty of us around to assist you in spending more money for you car. I've been adding mods to my car for the past 3 yrs and I am not about to stop. Always something new that comes out that catches my eyes like those new shocks and struts, HID, coilovers and so on..

So have fun and enjoy the ride until you get tired of it or can afford something better. =)

WHATS GOING ON?

Old 02-07-2002, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Eric, ive never had a prob with you so i dont wanna start any flames, but honestly, if you hate Nissans and Maximas so much your free to move on or not read the board anymore. it seems like you juss want to complain about sucky Nissan to everyone.
I'm here to help people too. I answer questions about the car, which I feel I have an above average knowledge of, especially after dropping and opening the transmission twice and doing other projects. However, I also feel it is my duty to inform people my honest opinion about the car when they ask for it, as well as my experience with it and in this case it is negative. I know very well people hate when I post crap about the car, because after all this is a maxima enthusiasts site.

you have the same bike as me, do you think its gutless on the low end? dude the low end is so gutless my old F2 was stronger. My rear pegs always scrape when we hit up the mountains, i guess thats the sacrafice to make for comfort, but i dont complain about it, you cant have everything you want in life.
Regarding the bike, the bike was the best decision I ever made. Why? Because I made the decision and not my mom. She was all against it. I looked at the GSXR600 and the R6 as well as the ZX 6R, but I just didn't feel right on those bikes. Back when I almost totaled the bike, when it woulda been time to get another, I woulda bought the same bike, in the same color (red/black). That's how satisfied I am. I suppose I can also complain about the clutch cable getting in the way of the LCD readout, or the fuel gauge that isnt too intuative, but after almost a year and 6000 miles of riding its still pretty close to perfect, and its also my first bike.

one last thing im wondering, do you really think Beemer parts are cheaper then Maxima parts? umm no, check out how much a Dinan blower goes for..9K? and electrical gremlins....man those suck!
I never said BMW parts were cheaper then Maxima parts. If you look at the BMW performance stuff, they're "normal" stuff isnt much more (if at all) then maxima stuff like exhaust, intakes, suspension. And they have much more to choose from. Theres more available then the Dinan blower is, unlike us with our problematic stillen blower thats the only one available. But you have to admit you can't compare a BMW to a Maxima either.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by TPI Monte SS
Yes, that's why I'm going to college and working part time. If I wanted what I want now, I'd be in full time debt.

My first car was a POS 1990 Toyota Camry that was a hand me down. It ran an 18.3 at the drags strip and was slower then any modern day civic you'd run into now. I thought that car was bad, but at least it had an independent rear and respectable resale value, the transmission is at 190K miles and still rollin without eatin bearings. I'm now 20, I got the maxima when I was 19, so I was driving for 3 years. I also ride a Honda CBR600F4i sportsbike (since the maxima did a pi$$ poor job of satisfying my need for speed), and that thing is far more dangerous and requires more skill and concentration then any car is to drive. It's got only 100 HP or so, but beats 95% of any stock cars out there.

I won't argue that point either. But, the stuff for an Impala SS ain't cheap either. I bought a used '96 SS in '98, and drove it until spring of 2001. My "mods" list when I traded it in included a clogged heater core, and a rear window that would roll down sideways in the track. Nice quality control over at GM too.
Don't even get me started about nissan quality control. And what did you get when you traded in the Impala SS? ALOT more then you would a maxima, that's for sure.

Thanks for your opinion. I bought my used 2000 SE two months ago to replace my totalled Sebring convertible. I really enjoy this car, and use it as my daily driver. Any time you try to push a car to its limits, you're gonna break stuff, period. And to make killer horsepower in a front-drive package is foolish...too much damn torque steer, and no traction because of the laws of physics.
Exactly, so thats why theres no point in trying to make this FWD family sedan fast. As for reliability, its been OK except my transmission along with many others here likes to eat bearings.

Again, you have (IMO) no right to complain, since you didn't pay for the car. When I was 17 (ten years ago-I'm getting old) my first car was a rusted out 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo, but I loved it cause I paid for it with my own hard-earned cash. Believe me, you will appreciate things more once you start paying for it on your own.
If you were handed $18,000 or so in cash saying "you can buy any car you want, but its gotta be a sedan" and then you wind up regretting it wouldnt you be a little bit mad? My thinking is "wow what a waste of money, it would have been far better if I got x car instead of this one."

Let's also look at this on the flip side. How many times have you seen a kid pull up in a mercedes, or BMW, Corvette, or some other expensive car? The fact of the matter is now in the 21st century, there are many kids who are spoiled rotten by their parents. I guess none of those kid's drive maxima's, they all got the car that they wanted.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:54 AM

Re: Whiners =P

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
God, what a bunch of whiners,

Oh no, you're parents STUCK you with this car? You ungrateful ppl.
Do you know how many ppl would KILL to have a 30,000 dollar car handed to them?
You have AC, CD player, power steering, abs, air bags, and a car that runs.
Do you know how many people look at the maxima and think "what an overpriced POS family sedan"?

Next time that you pull up at the stoplight next to a kia or a beat up old civic, or a 1981 lincoln mercury, take a look inside at the 35 year old struggling person inside, or the 65 year old senior citizen that's worked their entire lives to be able to afford a car at all. Then after you've thought about how spoiled you are, call your parents and thank them.
How about the next time you pull up and the hot girl next to you who's young enough to be your little cousin is driving a benz?

Oh, what, so you pay 250 a month for your car? Do you think you could take that miserable salary that you complain so much about and purchase your own vehicle? Your parents got you a car so that you could learn responsibility.
You know as well as I that many times parents make decisions that we disagree with.

If you want a friggin BMW, camaro, impala, or whatever then go buy it yourself.
Not if you were handed a lump sum of cash saying "you can buy any car you want" then get stuck with something you wind up hating.

If you think, I have no idea where you're coming from you're dead wrong. When I totalled my accord coupe last year, my parents (my insurance being under their name) took the settlement check, went out, and bought a maxima for my b-day as a surprise. A FOUR door, AUTOMAGIC, in a color I hated. But you know what? I'm SO GRATEFUL for it. Go on, ask your parents how hard they work to make ends meet for your family, or how hard they worked to get YOUR *** to where you are now.
Yes, and this is so we can live a better lifestyle. Not a lifestyle when I'm driving a family sedan. Hell she shoulda just gone out and bought me a damn minivan then. Everytime I see a maxima, I see an old person driving it, or a mom with a car seat in the back. Not a performance oriented person at all.

When I was in high school, I had to share a beat up old 1989 acura legend sedan with my mother. I would get to drive the car if I had been good.
I had to drive a 1990 toyota camry that had 120,000 miles at the time on it. Yet we had the BMW, Camaro z28 drivers.

You have a late model, v6 engine sedan with some pretty nice standard options all to yourself.
And it is exactly just that. A v6 sedan. Although its fully loaded and a stick, it's NOT and never will be a v8 RWD sports car.

You can pick up a girl for a date without telling her your mom wants the car back at 10pm.
Great, so she can take a ride out in the family wagon huh? I'd rather pick up a girl on my honda bike, its alot better.

You think that with your minimum wage high school job you could even buy a saturn? You think the maxima has problems?! try a 9000 dollar car that does the quarter mile in 20+ secs.
I dont know who you were referring to here, but this isnt the point. The point is, my parents made a lousy decision to get me a vehicle that I think sux. My mom sees how much time I had to put into the car fixing it after it ate bearings, to fix it myself in order to save money. After that she finally realized her mistake and was willing to let me sell the car. But-I can't without takin a huge hit, cause the maxima resale absolutely is the pits.

Take your damn negativity elsewhere, this is a forum for Maxima Enthusiasts, not maxima haters.
I consider myself an enthusiast. Posting my experience is part of being an enthusiast. Just happens to be I've had a really bad ride (pun intended).
Old 02-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Eric, you've got to admit, you were extremely abusive to your Maxima and those tranny problems you encountered are rare. Out of the thousands of members on this board, 8-9 of you had bearing problems. Your only other real gripe is about rattles. As far as I know nothing else ever went wrong with your car. Rattles? Big deal. My buddies 95 Supra TT rattles like no tommorrow, same with my buddies 98 VR6 GTi, and another friends 1998 BMW 325. Consider yourself extremely lucky that you got a car bought for you, especially something like a Maxima. My parents gave me my 86 Accord (hand me down) and I was very grateful even though many kids were sporting much better rides (new in the day Talons, 300Zs, 3000 GTs, Stangs). I wanted a bike early in college and they said fine and that I had to pay for it, but they will take the Accord back. I was piseed, but after having all 5 of my friends wreck their bikes over a 3 year period, I came to realize those things are far too dangerous and my parents probably saved my life or a limb or two. Resale isn't great on the Maxima, but it isn't good on many cars. You can buy lots of expensive cars that are 3 years old for the half the price they cost new. The Supra TT, Volvo 850Ts, some BMWs, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. I bought my 96 SE for $15K over 3.5 years ago. I can sell it now for $9000-10000. I'm perfectly happy with that.

As for performance, sure you make a Honda fast and F-Body/Stangs/Talons/etc are fast, but hasn't that been beaten to death? I had a F-Body and it was fun, but the thing that bothered me the most was that there was ALWAYS another guy much faster than you. You always felt like you had something to prove on the street and strip. If you F-Body doesn't run deep 12s, then you're in for a ride awakening. Everyone expects you to be VERY fast and if you're not, your a joke. With the Maxima, I don't feel pressured at all. I like the Sleeper effect much more. Big deal if my Maxima is over 1.2 second thru the 1/4 mile han my old Z28. The Maxima is far more surprising to the untrained racer. Most guys are literally drop-jawed at the sight of a NA 4-door sedan going anywhere in the 14s plus watching it walk Stangs and F-Bodies thru the 1/4 mile on some occasions. All that is far more enjoyable to me.

The Maxima is easily the best car I've ever owned. It's put toegether far better than my 86 Accord, 90 CRX Si, and of course my 94 Z28. Not one of my friends cars is put together nearly as well. My car has never given me problems except for some of the poor fitting "bolt-on". If my tranny gets screwed, I have no one to blame, but myself. 60 1/4 mile passes and only God knows how many side street blasts, my Max has had lots of hard WOT shifts that will take it's toll on a tranny.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:00 AM

People are simply ditching their Maximas. They just want to move on to other things. If I had the money, I would get rid of the car too. I'm going to keep the car for maybe a few more years, 3 years top. My reason is because I'm a bit bored with the car and it's slow(automagic). Whenever I do get rid of this car, I will miss it though. I never regret getting this car, well...maybe just regret that I didn't get the 5spd.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:07 AM

Eric you're getting nowhere with your argument, you riducle Nissan build quality yet insist on a Camaro/other GM product.

The reasons for Impala's higher resale are obvious, on one hand you have a family sedan that sells 100,000+ per year. On the other you have a (more or less) muscle car produced in far lesser quantities which had a 'historical aura' if you will. Everybody knows this, it's not because Nissans are the cr@p you make them out to be.

I'm sorry but reading ur responses to other peoples posts shows how much of a jealous ***** u are. Oh wow girl has a Benz, another guy has a NSX. Get over it! Are you so insecure that if someone else has a better car you absolutely must one up them? And whining/b!tching to ur mom everyday about it just proves how much of an ungrateful *** you are.

End of rant
Old 02-07-2002, 08:13 AM

Dave, wasnt it you who was the one who said any true car enthusiast has to own a piece of american iron at least once in his life?

My gripes about the Maxima goes far beyond rattles. Try nose heavy understeering handling, poor crash test results, low resale value, heavy insurance for what it is (the z28 is only $200 more to insure argument), peeling paint (5th gen forum and www.nissanpaint.com has a tally on who's got lousy paint), lack of performance parts, etc etc etc. I also REALLY hate the beam axle non independent rear suspension.

The "sleeper sedan" argument to me, is like saying "well that minivan can run 17's in the 1/4 mile. Thats pretty impressive for a minivan." In other words, people don't care. Sure, we may beat mustangs and camaro's once in a while, but how many times have we lost to a civic? Cause we either had a bad run or they caught us off gaurd, or they had a combination of a good run with our bad run? Many times, our "quick" runs are once in a while runs that we can never consistently repeat. If thats the case, a v8 F body/mustang's "quick" runs will be much faster then ours. You can also get an F body to run the 12's ALOT easier and cheaper then you can this FWD sedan can be run. Wasnt it you who posted the video of the turbocharged F body that can run 10's and titled it "If you think a S/C maxima is fast, wait till you read this"?

Fact of the matter is this is simply the wrong car for performance enthusiasts such as ourselves. The point I am trying to make is that there are far better choices in cars out there, from the practicality stand point, or the performance stand point.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:41 AM
pmg

So what car can I replace the Maxima with? It must be faster, better handling and just as reliable, with a similar price, right? So far, I've just decided to hang on to it. My slightly modded '97 5-speed has 97,000 miles, runs perfect, looks perfect and people think it's brand new when the see it and sit in it. It's never had any problems and has no squeaks or rattles (even on the Michigan potholed and dirt roads). I drive this car hard and it doesn't seem to phase it. I wanted to get a WRX (not faster except off the line), but after studying forums for months, I see there's too many problems, way more than Maximas. To feed my need for speed, I may just have to get a 300zx twin turbo to park next to the Maxima.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:56 AM

My gripes about the Maxima goes far beyond rattles. Try nose heavy understeering handling...
You can fix that for a few $$$. My car (even though it is a 3rdgen) can and does out handle stock 4thGens. It used to understeer also, but now the handling is very neutral.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:05 AM

I bought every car I have owned. At 17 I wish my parents would drop the cash for me. You'r spoiled if your parents buy you anything at all (IMO). I just bought my 2nd Max. Yeah it has more Horsepower and it is supposed to be the crem-de-la-crem, but it is just a car. 95% of cars today are just a car. Modding them only makes them a little faster, a little more dangerous, and more abused. Yes it is fun, but the fun has to end eventually. Do I want a Porsche? Helll yeah! Will I ever get one? not unless I become a Millionaire. It is not practical. That is why I have a max. 4 doors, good gas, reliable, yet somewhat fun to drive if I wanna get rowdy. I make near 6 figures and I could get a BMW if I wanted, but I see my bosses BMW and think it really is not much better then my Max. His gets dirty and looks like poop just the same as my car does. And when 4 years goes by, he will trade his car in just like I will. Difference is he will have dropped a lot more money on that car then I did on mine. He has a BMW, I have a house with 1,000 sq/ft more then him. Jeeze, guess I have the better deal.

A couple guys on here sound like spoiled kids, but the rest of the comments I respect. You guys think straight and understand what your car is to you..... a car.

And dood, you keep talking about picking up chicks with your car..... if you had ANY game at all your car could be a yugo and you will still get booty! Get some class and your car won't matter.

Go get a job, buy your Camaro SS and then total it or keep it for a couple years. When that time comes we will see you back here saying, wow I really with I would have kept the Maxima I had.

Good Luck dood!
Old 02-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Dave, wasnt it you who was the one who said any true car enthusiast has to own a piece of american iron at least once in his life?

My gripes about the Maxima goes far beyond rattles. Try nose heavy understeering handling, poor crash test results, low resale value, heavy insurance for what it is (the z28 is only $200 more to insure argument), peeling paint (5th gen forum and www.nissanpaint.com has a tally on who's got lousy paint), lack of performance parts, etc etc etc. I also REALLY hate the beam axle non independent rear suspension.

The "sleeper sedan" argument to me, is like saying "well that minivan can run 17's in the 1/4 mile. Thats pretty impressive for a minivan." In other words, people don't care. Sure, we may beat mustangs and camaro's once in a while, but how many times have we lost to a civic? Cause we either had a bad run or they caught us off gaurd, or they had a combination of a good run with our bad run? Many times, our "quick" runs are once in a while runs that we can never consistently repeat. If thats the case, a v8 F body/mustang's "quick" runs will be much faster then ours. You can also get an F body to run the 12's ALOT easier and cheaper then you can this FWD sedan can be run. Wasnt it you who posted the video of the turbocharged F body that can run 10's and titled it "If you think a S/C maxima is fast, wait till you read this"?

Fact of the matter is this is simply the wrong car for performance enthusiasts such as ourselves. The point I am trying to make is that there are far better choices in cars out there, from the practicality stand point, or the performance stand point.
Yep, I do think everyone should own a musclecar once in their lives. They are a fast and fun to drive, but you have to accept the poor ride, gas mileage, poor fit/finish, poor resale, etc when owning one these cars. There is a reason that most people only keep these cars about 1 year. I kept mine for 3 years, but I wanted some more refined and larger. If you think the beam axle is bad in the Maxima, wait till you drive a car with a 200lb live axle. Talk about unpsrung weight.

I did post twin-turbo ICON SS Camaro mpeg because it's just a bad-a$$ car.

I've never lost of a Civic. Many of my friends run early 90s hatchbacks with B16 swaps. I've never had a problem beating them on the street or strip. I've faced lots of Civics on the track and not one has handed me my butt. There are only 4 Civics I know of at the track that can outrun me, but they run NOS and are gutted. I did get smoked by Del Sol (Dark Sol Motorsports) that ran a 13.6@99mph to my 14.8. I didn't feel bad since he's got a built ITR/Jun motor and the car is COMPLETELY gutted. I don't know about you, but I'm VERY consistent at the track. I've got lots of timeslips showing 14.7/14.8. I don't know about your track, but at my track most of the street driven Stangs/F-Bodies/Grand Prix GTPs are in the upper 13s and 14s. I'm usually very competitve with these cars (win some/lose some) and I've got respect out there. I'm the underdog and I like it. I'm also usually the fastest import there which is fun.

I don't have peeling paint nor is my insurance high, but I'm 27, married, and own a house. However, I can see why insurance is so expensive because nearly EVERY single person I personally know has totalled one Maxima plus I read about total loss's on the this site weekly. High insurance can also be a factor of your driving record or here you live. I don't put much in the crash worthiness tests because no crash is alike. I've seen lots of totalled Maxima's on carparts.com and they all looked like they were pretty safe in a crash. A lack of performance parts for the Maxima is complete BS in my book. You've got Y-pipes, headers, b-pipes, catbacks, cat converters, tons of intakes, UDPs, superchargers, nitrous, ECUs, limited-slip difs, coilovers, springs, subframe connectors, and adjustable struts. What else is there? Cams, heads, turbos? A cam package would cost well over $1000 plus install would be a pain. This isn't a Honda. There are two heads and 4 cams. Heads would be pointless because the only thing that's wrong with the heads on the Maxima is that the ports are a little weak. Turbos are a paiin on V6s. If it was a I6 then it would be easy, but when you're trying to boost off of two banks in a crammed engine bay, it becomes complicated. Stick with the SC.

The Maxima isn't the right platform if you want a 12-second or lower car. Neither is a Honda. I'm not unrealistic when it comes to the performance of my Maxima. I knew what I was getting into. I told myself that all I wanted was 14-second timeslips with a NA Maxima. Well, I've got them and I plan on making them low 14-second slips here shortly. The ONLY cars that will run 12s on pump gas and consistently will be V8 musclecars. But the trade-offs are huge.

Dave
Old 02-07-2002, 09:11 AM

I only have one thing to say: If you are using your car (whatever kind of car that is) to get girls ... then you must have a really really really small ****.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:23 AM

You ask yourself why so many people are selling their max, well why don't you ask yourself why so many people are buying a max. There seems to be atleast 2 people a week anouncing they just bought a 2002 SE 6spd and even some used ones. For everyone selling their max there is a few more buying.

After having Supras, 300Zxs and SportBikes, my Max will never be as fats as I want it to be, but for now it meets all my needs. A good combination of speed, handling, room, (looks) all at a reasonable price.

No complaints from me....
Old 02-07-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by clee130
I only have one thing to say: If you are using your car (whatever kind of car that is) to get girls ... then you must have a really really really small ****.

SuDZ
Old 02-07-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Whiners =P

Yes, I am still in High School. Yes I am spoiled. But does spoiled mean getting something you 1) didnt want 2) couldnt say no to and 3) can't afford 4) pay for yourself, with your hard earned cash ??

Yes I might seem spoiled because I got a brand new car when I got my license. MY BIRTHDAY PRESENT (totalling around 30 people's presents) WAS THE DOWNPAYMENT and the rest was MY DUTY TO PAY OFF!

How is that spoiled? I would understand if my parents straight up bought me the corolla and said "here, have fun, no payments" THEN ITS SPOILED. But when they said "Here, we're going to take your birthday money, put it as a downpayment for a corolla, and you can pay the rest."
What am I going to say to that? SHould I walk or drive a corolla?

SAME THING WITH THE MAXIMA.
SUre I'm greatful, I LOVE MY MAXIMA, its a SUPER CAR. But I didnt ASK for it, I couldnt take anything else. Its either I walk, or pay a monthly payment for the next 5 years.

I basically got the maxima for free...unless you count all the payments that are still due on it.

My parents ****ed up. They buy new cars every three years because they think they're "rich" I keep telling them, "I can't afford to pay for this." Oh well, I guess it is better getting a new car after every lease-end. But once again, I didnt ask for a car that I have to pay 1.5 times as much for every month.

I know I seem spoiled, but can someone please explain why?
My parents didnt just BUY me any car. They didnt even HELP ME WITH ANY MONEY. I basically bought my first car with my birthday money, and was paying for it every month. Same thing with the maxima. Sure they paid half of it, but then I still have half to go.

Now dont get me wrong, I dont want some P.O.S old car, but like I said before...someone crashed into my first car, I DIDNT MESS IT UP, why did my brother get a new car that is worth 3 times as much as the corolla? BAAAAAH I Guess I have to ***** to my parents about this....but you get my point.

You cant be spoiled if you pay for your own car. YES INCLUDING THE DOWNPAYMENT.

LIke I said, I dont hate the maxima. Its a great fast car. But why do I need 4-doors and 6 "magical" cylinders?
I got pushed into it. My brother ****ed up when he chose the max over a sweet 240SX. I could be on a 240 forum right now ecstatic about "OH MY GOD I JUST GOT MY F-MAX TUROB KIT PUT IN, ITS DIIIIZZOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!" but no. I told my parents why dotn I just turn in the max for a 240? Its a 98, with less miles than the maxima, its cherry. They said "WE DONT WANT TO BUY USED CARS ANYMORE, WE ****ED UP WITH YOUR BROTHERS USED SUPRAS." see? you get ****ed once, you pay for a veeeerrry veeeeryy long time. damn.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:00 PM

wow, i just read through this entire thread...

why did i buy a maxima? well lets see here, i was driving a hand me down '92 taurus when i was 16, and then only part of the time. i got this gift when my parents bought my mom a new '97 GLE. i traded in the taurus for a '95 GXE when i was 19. I took on the payments, not my parents. when i wrecked the '95 GXE, i looked for anther Maxima. this time i got a '95 SE. if maxima's sucked so bad, why did i buy another one? lets see:

1) how many other sedans out there built in the mid 90's that are as quick as the maxima? few. narrow it down to imports. now how many of those are in my price range? 1, the maxima. i could have bought a Pontiac GTP and ran 14's out the box with an auto, but its a pontiac. could have bought a SHO with a five speed, but its a ford. if you think ford and Pontiac have better quality then Nissan

2) my SE had leather, sunroof, and rims where as my GXE didn't. my maxima is perfect, to me. yes it rattles, but find me a car in the same price range that doesn't.

3) i could have bought an accord, dropped an H22 and run 14's. why didn't I? because i can get into the 14's with alot less effort and $$.

4) i coul have gotten an f-body like my dad mentioned. why didn't i? because f-bodies rattle more than maximas. their interior makes my maxima's interior look like a lexus. yes they are fast, but they are not as comfortable.

bottom line, if you want to run 12's for cheap. buy a muscle/sports car. that's not why i bought a maxima. i wanted something that would be comfortable to drive everyday but still get up and go and smoke some hondas.

you may be a little spoiled if you're parents handed you a maxima. but just don't complain about it.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:00 PM

Ain't that the truth!

No game before getting a nice car = No game after getting a nice car. I've seen this situation happen to guys time and time again. Besides, the few girls that will jump on you for having a sweet ride aren't worth the time of day anyway....unless that's what you're looking for.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:23 PM
PhatGuy

WHATS GOING ON?

For every Max sold there is one bought....changing of the guard. I am also seeing a lot of newbies who have purchased 2k2's.

Old 02-07-2002, 12:25 PM

You forgot to mention the lack of personality too.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love my Maxima. I have a '91 MAXima, too. I do have black leather, but it's still in perfect shape. I have intermittent wipers, fogs, cruise, manual tranny and the SE package. The Max is perfect for me right now; I get 25mpg if I'm easy on it, it handles well for a FWD, has Independent rear suspension, decent looks, seats 5 on occasion and has good power. I'm a freshman in college and I go out with my friends all the time, I have yet to encounter a serious problem; this car is perfect.

Oh and Eric...

Quick Reply: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? everyones ditching the maxima?!