General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 08:26 PM

A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Our Maxima has 128K miles, and it was 8K overdue for a tune up. I don't trust dealerships when it comes to this, so I like to do it myself, even though its a pain on two of the back cylinders.

While changing the plugs I noted that the front 3 appeared to have been there since the 60K service. Then when I pulled the back 3. I found, to my disgust, that whoever had done the 60K service neglected to change the back plugs. While operable, they looked terrible. The ground and center electrodes were very worn down!

I wish I knew which dealership did the service so that, even though its been a few years, I could chew their butts! Just an affirmation that I will continue to do certain services myself. The previous owner, a lady, was obviously misled.

The new plugs were worn down so much, even the fronts, the gap was a bit smaller on the new plugs, but within specs. They are supposed to be gapped from the factory, but I like to check. The gap guages aren't very accurate though.

On a brighter note, the Max is now running noticably better.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:44 PM
SLOW

I've never checked my plugs, I've had the car 31K miles (just rolled over 120K yesterday). I wonder what mine look like, after running at LEAST 30K with a bad 02 sensor (open loop mode). Yikes...I need to do that some time.

BTW, anyone notice the 2 quickest stock 4th gens were both over 110K when they ran their times???
Old 02-07-2002, 08:46 PM

Re: A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Originally posted by VeeTec
Our Maxima has 128K miles, and it was 8K overdue for a tune up. I don't trust dealerships when it comes to this, so I like to do it myself, even though its a pain on two of the back cylinders.

While changing the plugs I noted that the front 3 appeared to have been there since the 60K service. Then when I pulled the back 3. I found, to my disgust, that whoever had done the 60K service neglected to change the back plugs. While operable, they looked terrible. The ground and center electrodes were very worn down!

I wish I knew which dealership did the service so that, even though its been a few years, I could chew their butts! Just an affirmation that I will continue to do certain services myself. The previous owner, a lady, was obviously misled.

The new plugs were worn down so much, even the fronts, the gap was a bit smaller on the new plugs, but within specs. They are supposed to be gapped from the factory, but I like to check. The gap guages aren't very accurate though.

On as brighter note, the Max is now running noticably better.
F*cken dealers!
Charge top dollar and don't even do the work.

I think this is alot more commom than people would like to think.

My mom has an altima and paid almost $400 for a "complete" tuneup. Seems like they changed the plugs and tranny and engine oil and air filter. Who knows if they actually changed the plugs.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:04 PM

Damn Veetec sorry about that and to think you were running 14.4's with those plug's. .I must say that i expect nothing but 14.2's from you next time.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:07 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by d_98SE
Damn Veetec sorry about that and to think you were running 14.4's with those plug's. .I must say that i expect nothing but 14.2's from you next time.
Hey fockers I ran 14.4s on my bad plugs too hehe.

Gone Fishin'--for compliments haha
Old 02-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Hey fockers I ran 14.4s on my bad plugs too hehe.

Gone Fishin'--for compliments haha
I guess I might as well say that I changed mine yesterday, and they were in bad shape and they were bosch plugs....so there. My best time was on bad plugs too .
Old 02-07-2002, 11:27 PM

maybe I should buy neal's used plugs
Old 02-08-2002, 02:01 AM

I paid $260 for these toothless hillbillies to do a full tune up on my Max when I first got it. It was idling rough and I wanted to take care of that. I dropped it off for plugs, wires, cap, rotor, the whole nine. Then, it started running horribly and I couldn't figure it out. Long story short I figure out a few months later that they didn't have the plugs gapped right and one of them was even in several pieces. Then, I get to lookin and realize that they didn't even change anything! Needless to say I now do all my own tune-ups!
I went back there to get my money back and they called the cops . I'm researching now how to make small untraceable explosive devices!!! (j/k)
Old 02-08-2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989
I paid $260 for these toothless hillbillies to do a full tune up on my Max when I first got it. It was idling rough and I wanted to take care of that. I dropped it off for plugs, wires, cap, rotor, the whole nine. Then, it started running horribly and I couldn't figure it out. Long story short I figure out a few months later that they didn't have the plugs gapped right and one of them was even in several pieces. Then, I get to lookin and realize that they didn't even change anything! Needless to say I now do all my own tune-ups!
I went back there to get my money back and they called the cops . I'm researching now how to make small untraceable explosive devices!!! (j/k)
Thats funny, the crooks called the Police. I guess you can always sue them, but that costs money too, until you win.

A friend of ours, with a Toyota Camry, to her car to the dealship for a service, and asked for them to rotate the tires. She marked the tires so that she would know it had been done...hehehehe. Well, she got the car back and they hadn't been rotated. the shop manager tried to swear they had been done, until she showed him wear she marked the tires. She told him that they weren't going to fool this woman....bwhahahahahaa...idiots! That was hilarious!
Old 02-08-2002, 06:04 AM

I guess when it comes to plugs everyone should do them to make sure this doesn't happen. Changing the plugs aren't to bad of a job though.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by deezo
I guess when it comes to plugs everyone should do them to make sure this doesn't happen. Changing the plugs aren't to bad of a job though.
You're right, but at the time I was used to working on old cars like my buddy's straight six truck and my old project cars (72 chrystler new yorker w/ 440 & 70 Charger w/ Hemi... oohhhh, yeahhh!!!!) so the crammed engine bay and all the wires and electronics were kinda intimidating at first. I've since learned. I think that is the best way, for anyone who has any sort of mechanical inclination... just get in there and do it!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Originally posted by theMax

F*cken dealers!
Charge top dollar and don't even do the work.

I think this is alot more commom than people would like to think.

How do you make sure that those hillbillies do the job??? I dunno how to change the plugs. But now makes me think that I need to learn atleast how to make sure that they change 'em. BTW I only have 31K miles on my 99 so I have about 2 more years till I need new plugs though. Will taking it to a non-dealer service station help?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Originally posted by dvpatel99se

How do you make sure that those hillbillies do the job??? I dunno how to change the plugs. But now makes me think that I need to learn atleast how to make sure that they change 'em. BTW I only have 31K miles on my 99 so I have about 2 more years till I need new plugs though. Will taking it to a non-dealer service station help?
you can ask to watch!

I always ask to have the old plugs (or parts) returned to me.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:21 AM

hmm... I got my car with 66K and I now have 92K. I have never check my plugs... I guess I should do that sometime.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:23 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by theblue
hmm... I got my car with 66K and I now have 92K. I have never check my plugs... I guess I should do that sometime.
Yet another quick maxima on old *** plugs. Coincidence? Hmmm...
Old 02-08-2002, 12:30 PM

anything yall would recommend changing between 90K and 100K? i have 94K and i do have the original starter
Old 02-08-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Yet another quick maxima on old *** plugs. Coincidence? Hmmm...
My last 1/4 run was on old plugs too (for Bosch Platinum +4 standards). I think I'm over 25,000 miles on my plugs.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: A disturbing find while changing my spark plugs.....

Originally posted by theMax

you can ask to watch!

I always ask to have the old plugs (or parts) returned to me.
It is the only way you know they were changed... or at least removed.

SuDZ