General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 10:33 AM
SLOW

JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Installed my JWT POP charger yesterday. Whole operation took about 30 minutes... easy as pie.

Anywho, to the "low end loss with pop charger" people. I feel none. I can rip the tires into smoking burnouts from even a 1000rpm roll in 1st.

Top end power seems to have increased dramatically. Maybe its just the sound, but there's definately some power there. I rocketed through 130 mph with my rommate in the car last night as easily as I used to go through 120. Traffic up ahead on the highway put an end to the fun.

So in short, the JWT POP Charger comes highly recommended from me. Now when is Frankencar going to release their upper intake pipe so I can get rid of that nasty resonator between the MAF and TB.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:37 AM

Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Installed my JWT POP charger yesterday. Whole operation took about 30 minutes... easy as pie.

Anywho, to the "low end loss with pop charger" people. I feel none. I can rip the tires into smoking burnouts from even a 1000rpm roll in 1st.

Top end power seems to have increased dramatically. Maybe its just the sound, but there's definately some power there. I rocketed through 130 mph with my rommate in the car last night as easily as I used to go through 120. Traffic up ahead on the highway put an end to the fun.

So in short, the JWT POP Charger comes highly recommended from me. Now when is Frankencar going to release their upper intake pipe so I can get rid of that nasty resonator between the MAF and TB.
"Doubters be silenced"

Hahaha, Your opinion doesn't prove anything.

If you really want to silence the doubters you have to get that thing on a dyno or track!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Originally posted by theMax

"Doubters be silenced"

Hahaha, Your opinion doesn't prove anything.

If you really want to silence the doubters you have to get that thing on a dyno or track!
Don't hate, I have a pop and I love it too. :-)
Old 02-08-2002, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

Don't hate, I have a pop and I love it too. :-)
Intakes are great, I have one on all my cars!

I just think people get carried away sometime.

Gains are minimal on NA engines.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:46 AM
SLOW

Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Intakes are great, I have one on all my cars!

I just think people get carried away sometime.

Gains are minimal on NA engines.
We shall see, when I get to the track and run faster than ever before. You CAI boys can bring it anytime... I'm ready for ya. No one's opinion proves anything, but when you have firsthand experience with something, you know a little more than people who don't. Just like I can't prove it DOESN'T lose low end power, you can't prove that it DOES.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:53 AM

I agree with what he said. I had a CAI before. Now I only use the shorter tube piece off of the CAI so I don't have to use the stock resonator. So my setup is: TB--->PR tube--->MAFS--->Filter. When compared to my old CAI setup, this setup seem to yield better gains all around. Also, for some reason, this setup seem to have an even more aggressive growl than the CAI setup. I really like this setup. The only concern I have is how hot it could get under the hood. I want to find a way to cool the interior a bit somehow.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

We shall see, when I get to the track and run faster than ever before. You CAI boys can bring it anytime... I'm ready for ya. No one's opinion proves anything, but when you have firsthand experience with something, you know a little more than people who don't. Just like I can't prove it DOESN'T lose low end power, you can't prove that it DOES.
I hope you get gains! What kind of gains to you hope to get at the track?

I have the same setup as you on my thunderbird and a CAI on my max. I do have both.

I never said anything about low end power.

I haven't been to the track since I installed my CAI.
I'll try it like it is and by putting the filter on the MAF.

cumalot, have you tested both those set ups at the track?
Old 02-08-2002, 11:10 AM

there is obviously a gain all around with the pop... but once you have driver for a few weeks with the intake you'll see what people are talking about a little more. I've learnt to drive so that I don't ever get the situation, but when I first had my intake I felt a hole where there was no power in the lower RPM range.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

cumalot, have you tested both those set ups at the track?

I will the next time I head to the track. I ran my best of 15.4(automagic)the first and only time I been to the track. I also had a ypipe, rt cat(didn't make any difference really), and cat-back exhaust beside the CAI. Since then I added Don's VB upgrade along with the above mentioned mods plus the recent POP charger CAI setup. So, we'll see next time. I am hoping for very low 15s, maybe even high 14s. Not too impressive, but that's an automagic for you.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Originally posted by Cumalot

I will the next time I head to the track. I ran my best of 15.4(automagic)the first and only time I been to the track. I also had a ypipe, rt cat(didn't make any difference really), and cat-back exhaust beside the CAI. Since then I added Don's VB upgrade along with the above mentioned mods plus the recent POP charger CAI setup. So, we'll see next time. I am hoping for very low 15s, maybe even high 14s. Not too impressive, but that's an automagic for you.
Be happy with a 15.4

My best run was 16.3 last summer w/ a K&N drop in.

(my excuses include 17" stock tires, 1/2 tank gas, 85 degrees, high humidity, 500ft elevation, AE kit weight, cali spec....)
Old 02-08-2002, 12:35 PM

You CAI boys can bring it anytime...
ok, lets race in arizona.... say midsummer - july? ok good deal.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by sx7r

Don't forget to let the car run at idle for a while before racing.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:16 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by sx7r

Okie, but you can't spray hehe
Look what I've gotten myself into
Old 02-08-2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by theblue
there is obviously a gain all around with the pop... but once you have driver for a few weeks with the intake you'll see what people are talking about a little more. I've learnt to drive so that I don't ever get the situation, but when I first had my intake I felt a hole where there was no power in the lower RPM range.
I hear you on the hole in the lower RPM range....when I accelerate slowly in first gear...at about 2200-2300 rpms...there's a hole in power...it's really weird...at constant throttle you can feel the dip in power...and then it pulls again...but at anywhere near WOT I can't feel it at all...
Old 02-08-2002, 02:03 PM

I don't doubt your opinion, but almost everyone who has gone from a pop to a CAI thinks the CAI is better. The only person (that I know of) who has gone from CAI to pop is Cumalot.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:50 PM

Member 97ABMAX also switched from a CAI to pop and liked the pop better: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=95250

Originally posted by Anachronism
I don't doubt your opinion, but almost everyone who has gone from a pop to a CAI thinks the CAI is better. The only person (that I know of) who has gone from CAI to pop is Cumalot.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:52 PM

ejj5875 also switch from a CAI to pop charger and likes it better
Old 02-08-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

Originally posted by clee130
Member 97ABMAX also switched from a CAI to pop and liked the pop better: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=95250

I stand corrected, no need to mention every person who has gone from CAI to pop. I guess I missed it when reading through the 5 million or so intake threads After much research, I think I may go wih a setup like Cumalot or the Franken intake, a compromise between both. The factory tubing and resonator looks restrictive to me.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

We just like pointing them out to spite the CAI lovers.

Originally posted by Anachronism
I stand corrected, no need to mention every person who has gone from CAI to pop. I guess I missed it when reading through the 5 million or so intake threads
Old 02-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think its pretty much established that CAI is better for low end, and for overall sound. However, those of us (including myself), who don't wanna drill a 3 inch hole in our maximas, have a good compromise with the pop charger.. I think the only bad combination is POP + auto tranny = mad lag.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:28 PM

get the PR CAI upper pipe. it works too
Old 02-08-2002, 08:02 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by spiff56747
i think its pretty much established that CAI is better for low end, and for overall sound. However, those of us (including myself), who don't wanna drill a 3 inch hole in our maximas, have a good compromise with the pop charger.. I think the only bad combination is POP + auto tranny = mad lag.
Look at what most of the quickest NA maximas have though... POP. I don't see the POP charger as a "compromise" I see it as superior if you are intending to race. On an automatic I can see how it would be an advantage to have a low end boost to pull that tall gearing out of the hole. That's my opinion of the situation.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:50 PM

did you get the new air filter??
Old 02-09-2002, 12:56 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by wicked1044
did you get the new air filter??
Old 02-09-2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by spiff56747
I agree with Nealoc. The popcharger is simply better. Period.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:51 PM

I went from a JWT Pop --> Cai.. Now I'm at the Hybrid PR Upper Tube W/JWT Pop combo.. I haven't gotten a chance to hit the highways yet to floor it. Can't wait to see the difference (if any)
Old 02-09-2002, 01:57 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
I went from a JWT Pop --> Cai.. Now I'm at the Hybrid PR Upper Tube W/JWT Pop combo.. I haven't gotten a chance to hit the highways yet to floor it. Can't wait to see the difference (if any)
Thats what I plan on doing, when Frankencar comes out with their upper intake pipe.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:45 PM

Thats what I plan on doing, when Frankencar comes out with their upper intake pipe.
isn't that just what the Frankencar intake basically is? Upper pipe with cone intake?
Old 02-09-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

You can feel it for sure. I got the same setup, PR upper tube with the PR filter(K&N actually).
Old 02-09-2002, 04:51 PM

ok - i got a question........the people that went from cai--> pop .....what did u guys do about that hole in the fenderwell??? - leave it as is or patch it up with sumthing?
Old 02-10-2002, 01:51 AM

Now when is Frankencar going to release their upper intake pipe so I can get rid of that nasty resonator between the MAF and TB.
If you wanted to get rid of that "nast resonator" you should have gotten the Dragon INtake from Weapon R. It looks great and replaces everthing from the TB to the MAF. Gains on all intakes ARE minimal but I felt decent gains with the Weapon R intake. Take Care
Old 02-10-2002, 12:14 PM

I noticed an immediate difference with the JWT Intake. I also have noticed no lag to date, just improvement throughout.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:21 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by 97ABMAX

If you wanted to get rid of that "nast resonator" you should have gotten the Dragon INtake from Weapon R. It looks great and replaces everthing from the TB to the MAF. Gains on all intakes ARE minimal but I felt decent gains with the Weapon R intake. Take Care
I don't like foam filters, or weapon R products, so that ruled that particular intake out.
Old 02-10-2002, 03:54 PM

I don't trust the foam filters either. K&N or paper for me.

Even the amsoil one I would not use.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: JWT POP installed. Doubters be silenced.

I don't like foam filters, or weapon R products, so that ruled that particular intake out.
I wouldn't go the foam route either, but theres quite a few of us who have the hybrid HAIs
-hype
Old 02-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 97ABMAX

I disagree to a point. I dynoed my 96 Maxima with the Poorman's CAI which is pretty much the stock intake with a KN filter and no resonators. The Poorman's CAI made nearly the same PEAK power (within 1-2 hp and tq) as the my HKS (POP) setup, but after 5400rpms the HKS intake was able to sustain power a bit longer. At one point in the graph (6000rpms), the HKS was making 5fwhp and tq more than the Poorman's CAI. This technically let me delay my shifts just a little longer which resulted in better 1/4 mile ETs. With a completely stock intake, I'd bet the difference in power after 5000rpms could be fairly dramatic. With my butt dyno, the VQ feels much more responsive and lively after 5000rpms.

Dave
Old 02-11-2002, 09:05 AM

theres a new cone filter out. looks real nice.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:45 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by wicked1044

theres a new cone filter out. looks real nice.
No I think mine is just the normal cone filter. Nothing special about it.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
ok - i got a question........the people that went from cai--> pop .....what did u guys do about that hole in the fenderwell??? - leave it as is or patch it up with sumthing?
I took a piece of thin metal sheet and cut it to the size of the whole. Then just used some silicon and sealed it up..