General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PICS! Chrome Guage Rings / Red Intelliglo Needles

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 03:36 PM

PICS! Chrome Guage Rings / Red Intelliglo Needles

Ok folks -- I just got a digital camera, so I finally got a chance to snap a couple pics of my guage setup and what the red intelliglo needles look like. Here are some pics spread out over a couple posts (sorry to those of you on dial-up; these are pretty big):

Chrome guage rings, needles off:
Old 02-11-2002, 03:40 PM

Needles/rings, dusk -- picture 1:

NOTE: I got a shot of the needles at night time, but unfortunately, I left the picture on a computer at home, and I'm up at university now. And, my camera batteries are dead, so I can't take another one. And all my dash lights went out except for the needles, so i don't want to bother with a pic of it at night anyway until I get the lights fixed.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:41 PM

Needles/rings, dusk -- picture 2:
Old 02-11-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by micahdc
Needles/rings, dusk -- picture 1:
How much where the needles and where did you get them those look sweet, they would match my red interior neons just perfectly
Old 02-11-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
How much where the needles and where did you get them those look sweet, they would match my red interior neons just perfectly
Around $80 if I remember correctly. I got them at www.importintelligence.com.

Just so you know, install was a pain in the a$$, but worth it. Total time was about 7 hours, but I fumbled a lot since I wasn't sure what I was doing. If I were to do the install over again now, it would take me about 3 hours.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:10 PM

Just so you know, install was a pain in the a$$, but worth it. Total time was about 7 hours, but I fumbled a lot since I wasn't sure what I was doing. If I were to do the install over again now, it would take me about 3 hours.
can you take me a picture at night with your lights on so I can see what it looks like with the dial lights on as well? is it wired to a switch or does it just stay on all the time?
Old 02-11-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
can you take me a picture at night with your lights on so I can see what it looks like with the dial lights on as well? is it wired to a switch or does it just stay on all the time?
Like I said above (I edited one of my posts), my camera is out of batteries and I don't have a charger, AND my dash lights are out. When I get both problems resolved, I'll definitely be taking a picture. However, they look SWEET with the regular dash lights.

The needles come with an adjustable **** that you can mount wherever in your car. With the **** you can turn them up or down. However, I've noticed that the two smaller guage needles don't turn off all the way (only noticeable at night -- in the day they're all the way off), and the larger guage needles dim much more quickly than the smaller ones. So, if you don't have the needles at or near the highest setting, the glow is uneven. I suppose this could be cool looking if you liked it, but I just keep mine on full bright all the time, and it's a nice even glow.

I wired the needles to the 12V line that goes to the dimmer switch for all the dash lights. So, when the lights are on, the needles are on. Another thing you can do is wire the needles to the output line of the dimmer switch so that when you dim your dash lights, you also dim your needles. That way, you could just hide the adjustable switch somewhere.

If you wanted total control, you could also wire in an on/off switch in the needle wiring so you could turn the needles totally on/off regardless of whether your lights are on. Additionally, you could wire the needles up to any 12V in the car and the use the on/off switch to turn them on an off completely independently of the lights. Sort of a pain, in my opinion, though, and not really worth it.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:37 PM

Like I said above (I edited one of my posts), my camera is out of batteries and I don't have a charger, AND my dash lights are out. When I get both problems resolved, I'll definitely be taking a picture. However, they look SWEET with the regular dash lights.

The needles come with an adjustable **** that you can mount wherever in your car. With the **** you can turn them up or down. However, I've noticed that the two smaller guage needles don't turn off all the way (only noticeable at night -- in the day they're all the way off), and the larger guage needles dim much more quickly than the smaller ones. So, if you don't have the needles at or near the highest setting, the glow is uneven. I suppose this could be cool looking if you liked it, but I just keep mine on full bright all the time, and it's a nice even glow.

I wired the needles to the 12V line that goes to the dimmer switch for all the dash lights. So, when the lights are on, the needles are on. Another thing you can do is wire the needles to the output line of the dimmer switch so that when you dim your dash lights, you also dim your needles. That way, you could just hide the adjustable switch somewhere.

If you wanted total control, you could also wire in an on/off switch in the needle wiring so you could turn the needles totally on/off regardless of whether your lights are on. Additionally, you could wire the needles up to any 12V in the car and the use the on/off switch to turn them on an off completely independently of the lights. Sort of a pain, in my opinion, though, and not really worth it.
I wired mine up to the 12V feed to the light in the ashtray (it only gets voltage when the headlights are on). I also wired a switch in line like you said so you could turn them off if you wanted to. Found out that if you turn them off at night, the needles hardly glow at all. The stickers that hold the intelliglow LED's cover up the light that would normally light the needles. So if you turn off the intelliglow completely at night, the needles are just black silhouettes on the guages. So you're probably right about it not being worth it
Old 02-11-2002, 05:46 PM

man, that looks so ILL...
good job, u shud of gotten them in blue, but red doesnt look bad at all...

keep us posted
Old 02-11-2002, 05:48 PM

How does it contrast to the A/C lights and other dash lights like the radio?
Old 02-11-2002, 06:12 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Good job! I really like the rings.

Long time since I seen you on the board, when you coming back around for a meet?
Old 02-11-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by 99MAXSE
man, that looks so ILL...
good job, u shud of gotten them in blue, but red doesnt look bad at all...

keep us posted
Thanks man! I got them in red for a couple reasons:

a) Red is the only color offered for 98-99 Maxes.
b) I liked it better anyway -- more unique and aggressive, in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
How does it contrast to the A/C lights and other dash lights like the radio?
It looks just fine. I'd imagine it'd look a little better if everything was orange or red too, but it's really not a big deal at all -- it looks fantastic, I promise. When I get my dash lights fixed I'll take a picture of the whole setup so you can get an idea.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by bags533
Good job! I really like the rings.

Long time since I seen you on the board, when you coming back around for a meet?
Thanks man! I love the rings too. Really sporty. Anyway, I'll be at the meet this Sunday at Andretti's. You gonna be there?
Old 02-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Import Intelligence SUCKS...

I wanted a simple design done for my gauges (if you go to the specialty installations on their webpage it's the FIRST ONE).. I said DO THAT EXACT DESIGN... what they sent was histerical).. this was in October.

Well, 5 month's later, 5 custom **** gauge faces later, I end up just getting plain white face gauges and some dash light bulbs that can't be used in the Maxima, and I have Red Needle Kit from them but the LEDS behind the RPM Gauge don't work at all.. such a pain in the ***.

All said and done, it isn't worth the time to mess with that company.

Took me an hour to install my indiglo needles and about 30 minutes for the gauges.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:59 PM

i wish i had white needles for teh blue needles. anyone have them e-mail me
Old 03-13-2002, 09:02 PM

i like alot!

Ant
Old 03-13-2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
i like alot!

Ant
I am diggin your new wheels Ant

17 or 18 Ace Mantas right?
Old 03-14-2002, 12:15 AM

How much did you pay for the Chrome rings? and whare did you get them at???
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:26 AM

oooh, i like the needles....rings would look better with a guage bezel
Old 03-14-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
i like alot!

Ant
You got new wheels Ant?! I like them. What are they?
Old 03-14-2002, 03:01 PM

NNNIIIIICCCCEEEE

SuDZ
Old 03-14-2002, 06:40 PM

Looks good. I think that I'm gonna do this setup on my car.

Where did you buy the Gauge Rings? How much?

Thanks,
-Nick