General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Never Again.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 02:18 PM

Never Again.

Suggestion to anyone thinking of buying the ceramic performance brakes from autozone. I purchased these originally because of the lifetime warranty.

Well I decided to clean my rims today and noticed that the the brake dust didn't wipe off like normal brake dust. Instead after the initial cleaning I noticed little tiny dots black specs everywhere. Looked sort of like road tar that you can scrap off with your finger nail. I guess ceramic pads leave little crystals instead of fine dust like normal brake pads. This was only after two weeks of use. I'm glad I didn't wait longer to clean my rims or this stuff might not even come off. My poor volks.

I'm going to call autozone and see if they can give me a refund or something. Do you think I have a valid reason to return these pads or do I have to make up something more drastic.

I seem to be have the worst luck with my car at the moment. First my crappy alignment job and now this.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:24 PM

Re: Never Again.

Originally posted by NISMO808
Suggestion to anyone thinking of buying the ceramic performance brakes from autozone. I purchased these originally because of the lifetime warranty.

Well I decided to clean my rims today and noticed that the the brake dust didn't wipe off like normal brake dust. Instead after the initial cleaning I noticed little tiny dots black specs everywhere. Looked sort of like road tar that you can scrap off with your finger nail. I guess ceramic pads leave little crystals instead of fine dust like normal brake pads. This was only after two weeks of use. I'm glad I didn't wait longer to clean my rims or this stuff might not even come off. My poor volks.

I'm going to call autozone and see if they can give me a refund or something. Do you think I have a valid reason to return these pads or do I have to make up something more drastic.

I seem to be have the worst luck with my car at the moment. First my crappy alignment job and now this.
You have a valid excuse to return them. The pads are still in good condition. Instead, get the Bendix Titanium pads from Trak Auto. I like those. Part number is MKD430IQ
Old 02-12-2002, 04:27 PM

Return them it is a fauly product. If they dont tell them you will speak to the better business buero. That always get some people moving.

SuDZ
Old 02-12-2002, 05:14 PM

Re: Never Again.

Originally posted by NISMO808

I think you can exchange them for another product or in the worst case scenario for a brand new pair of the same. don't worry about return/exchange policies
Old 02-13-2002, 09:04 AM

Nightrider...from your experience what color was the brake dust for the titanium pads. Grey, or Redish Brown like stock?

I don't mind brake dust... just as long as it wipes off nicely and doesn't stain my rims like white on rice.