General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pic of my dyno plot with the UDP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Pic of my dyno plot with the UDP

I haven't had time to scan my dyno plot so I took a digital pic. The green lines are show my power with the HKS intake, B-pipe, RT cat, and Stillen Y-pipe. The red and blue lines show my power with the addition of UDP and the change to a Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe. The left axis is HP and goes from 60-190 and the right axis is TQ and goes from 110-200. The lower axis is RPM and goes from 2.0 to 6.5. The horizontal gray line is peak HP.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0002.jpg

Dave
Old 02-13-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: Pic of my dyno plot with the UDP

Originally posted by Dave B
I haven't had time to scan my dyno plot so I took a digital pic. The green lines are show my power with the HKS intake, B-pipe, RT cat, and Stillen Y-pipe. The red and blue lines show my power with the addition of UDP and the change to a Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe. The left axis is HP and goes from 60-190 and the right axis is TQ and goes from 110-200. The lower axis is RPM and goes from 2.0 to 6.5. The horizontal gray line is peak HP.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0002.jpg

Dave
Why did you decide to go with a non-mandrel bent Y-pipe over the Stillen??
Old 02-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Pic of my dyno plot with the UDP

Originally posted by Victim64

Why did you decide to go with a non-mandrel bent Y-pipe over the Stillen??
My Stillen Y-pipe's flex went bad. My buddy works at auto shop and he wanted a Y-pipe. I sold him mine and he fixed it. I got the non-mandrel Y-pipe because it was cheap, came with a lined flex, and I had personally seen the pipe on another occasion and was amazed at how "non'restrictive" the non-mandrel were.

Dave
Old 02-13-2002, 10:55 PM

It is kind of hard to tell in the pic but how much of a gain was there in the HP and Torque?

SuDZ
Old 02-14-2002, 08:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SuDZ
It is kind of hard to tell in the pic but how much of a gain was there in the HP and Torque?

SuDZ
About 9fwhp and 10fwtq.

Dave
Old 02-15-2002, 01:40 PM

About 9fwhp and 10fwtq.

Dave
Cool. Thanks

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 05:35 AM

Doesn't this end the UDP Debate? It gained 9hp!
Old 02-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by 93_MaxSpeedMark
Doesn't this end the UDP Debate? It gained 9hp!

no, since a new y-pipe was added.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by bill99gxe

no, since a new y-pipe was added.
that and the fact that you can dyno 5 - 10 hp difference on the same modifications in different conditions..

until he does a dyno like Bryan did with the warpseed and cattman pipes .. put one mod on.. dyno.. take the mod off.. dyno .. do it a couple more times and compare..

until then.. this debate will never be over.. the UDP is useless...
Old 02-20-2002, 06:24 AM

Ah. I stand corrected.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:29 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SprintMax

that and the fact that you can dyno 5 - 10 hp difference on the same modifications in different conditions..

until he does a dyno like Bryan did with the warpseed and cattman pipes .. put one mod on.. dyno.. take the mod off.. dyno .. do it a couple more times and compare..

until then.. this debate will never be over.. the UDP is useless...
Same dyno and nearly the correction factor (0.99 vs 1.00). I gained anywhere from 3-10fwhp (9fwhp peak gain) and 3-16fwtq (10fwtq peak gain). The dyno gains were a fluke because I showed a SIGNIFICANT gain in trap speed last Sunday at the track on opening day. ALL my trap speeds were above 96mph with my best being 96.5mph. Corrected for altitude, my trap speeds are near 98mph. My 60 foots were still in the pathetic 2.29-2.32 range, but I still ended up running my best of a 14.69@96.5mph. Conditions were actually worse last Sunday (60 degrees) than when I ran my former best of a 14.73@93.93mph with a 2.26 60' (40 degrees).

Take it for what you will, but my car is clearly faster with the addition of the UDP and Warpspeed non-mandrel bent y-pipe. Do you guys REALLY believe that the change from a Stillen mandrel bent y-pipe to a non-mandrel y-pipe is gonna gain all that power? Doesn't that go against laminar flow and such?

I doubt anyone is going to be willing to change out thier pulley at the dyno. It's a tough job due to space limitations therefore you'll be at the dyno shop for hours. It's not like swithcing out Y-pipes which takes about 10 minutes.

Sprint, you only ran 93mph in 1/4 with a Y-pipe, intake, and a lighter GXE and I'm running almost 97mph in the 1/4 with a Y-pipe, intake, b-pipe, UDP, 16s, and a heavier fully loaded SE. Why is it so hard to believe the UDP does add performance?

Dave
Old 02-20-2002, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Same dyno and nearly the correction factor (0.99 vs 1.00). I gained anywhere from 3-10fwhp (9fwhp peak gain) and 3-16fwtq (10fwtq peak gain). The dyno gains were a fluke because I showed a SIGNIFICANT gain in trap speed last Sunday at the track on opening day. ALL my trap speeds were above 96mph with my best being 96.5mph. Corrected for altitude, my trap speeds are near 98mph. My 60 foots were still in the pathetic 2.29-2.32 range, but I still ended up running my best of a 14.69@96.5mph. Conditions were actually worse last Sunday (60 degrees) than when I ran my former best of a 14.73@93.93mph with a 2.26 60' (40 degrees).
like i said before.. dyno with and without on the same day and i will shut my mouth.. until then.. doesn't mean anything.. for all i know you could have had faulty plugs on one day and good plugs on another.. clogged fuel filter on one and clean on another.. dirty air filter on one.. and clean air filter on another.. cotton filter.. blah blah blah.. too many factors on different days to assume..

Take it for what you will, but my car is clearly faster with the addition of the UDP and Warpspeed non-mandrel bent y-pipe. Do you guys REALLY believe that the change from a Stillen mandrel bent y-pipe to a non-mandrel y-pipe is gonna gain all that power? Doesn't that go against laminar flow and such?
who knows.. as i said before.. too many factors..

I doubt anyone is going to be willing to change out thier pulley at the dyno. It's a tough job due to space limitations therefore you'll be at the dyno shop for hours. It's not like swithcing out Y-pipes which takes about 10 minutes.
well until then you can use these claims.. i am sorry.. its like running in 50 degree weather at the track without a y pipe with good plugs, good fuel filter, good air filter and runnign 15.0 and then running in 90 degree weather with clogged filter, bad plugs and faulty O2 sensor and a Cattman Y pipe and then run the same time and go.. oh the Cattman pipe shows no gains..

Sprint, you only ran 93mph in 1/4 with a Y-pipe, intake, and a lighter GXE and I'm running almost 97mph in the 1/4 with a Y-pipe, intake, b-pipe, UDP, 16s, and a heavier fully loaded SE. Why is it so hard to believe the UDP does add performance?

Dave
again too many factors.. i launch higher than you.. our shift points are different.. i run 15 inch wheels.. everyone knows the b pipe gives better top end.. BriGuyMax runs 14.0 @ 97 mph with 50 shot of NOS.. are we going to compare that your b pipe and UDP is comparable to a 50 shot of NOS? c'mon now Dave.. i know you are smarter than that..
Old 02-20-2002, 10:27 AM

again too many factors.. i launch higher than you.. our shift points are different.. i run 15 inch wheels.. everyone knows the b pipe gives better top end.. BriGuyMax runs 14.0 @ 97 mph with 50 shot of NOS.. are we going to compare that your b pipe and UDP is comparable to a 50 shot of NOS? c'mon now Dave.. i know you are smarter than that..
Brian's times arent his best though. That 14.0 run was done with a strong headwind and his fuel pump was shot causing his nitrous to "cutout" up top. He claims he could have run 13.8 if his NOS was tuned right. Also note that Brian has a UDP and he noticed gains in his trap speeds at the track like Dave did. I am gonna dyno my car this weekend and plan on getting a UDP soon. If I have the money I will re-dyno after the UDP install with no maintence done to my car to eliminate some of the critics complaints.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:04 PM

14.0@99

and that was with a 30 knot headwind and a dying stock fuel pump....