General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HID thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 06:36 PM

HID thoughts

Ok I know that the hue from the HID lamp is created by its heat. So the hotter the lamp the whiter the color? So is the reason why all the 4th gens with HIDs on them are blue, because of the huge amount of space our headlights have in them? Or is it due the extremely thin front plastic lense doesn't provide adequate isolation to let the bulb get up to optimal heat? Please dont tell me because we are buying cheap kits.

I noticed (as my retina's were being burned by a friends Audi A8) that his HID's are purple then if you take a step to the side they are rose then you take another step and they are yellow and one last step they are white. Why isn't that true on all HID sytems?

When people are buying HID's and they are marketed as Plug and Play, does that mean that they have an adaptor for my stock harness?

thanks

Louie
Old 02-17-2002, 09:00 PM

one thing i noticed is that audi's use projector style hid's vs. hid's in a more normal style headlamp. Both systems seem to work well with flooding the road.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:19 PM

I assume by heat you are refering to the color temperature, which is measured in Kelvin. However, as this is a form of energy, it is not really in heat per se. Granted the HID bulb does give off heat, the HIDs burn cooler than regular H3 or H4 bulbs. The color temp is the color index at which it is compared to the color spectrum. The reason why the Audi lights reflect different colors at different angles is because of the way the lens is made. Being at different angles to the way the light is reflecting makes you notice the refraction of that particular color at its respective wavelength. Just think of sunlight travelling through a prism, and how you get the refraction of a rainbow. It's all about physics. The color temp is about physics with chemistry. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:14 AM

Thank you.

Do you know if anyone has problems with snow building up on their bumpers in the winter with our HID conversions? Also can you explain the plug and play compatibility with the OEM harnesses?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:51 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The actualy color is dependent on the bulb. You can get purple bulbs or blue bulbs. They look exactly the same if you compare them side by side. One shoots with a blue hue and the other shoots with a purple hue. (Hanabi kits) I've had both bulbs in my car, the purple is wild. My point is it's the bulb and whats in it that make the color. If you look close there is some white poweder in the capsule of the HID bulb. I "think" this white substance actually adds the color to the light output. Thats the only thing I could find, because both sets that I had, blue and purple, looked identical. Until you lit them up. Then there were very different, right from startup. I think the purple light did a better job of lighting up the road with less glare then the blue ones do. Anybody want to trade my blue for your purple?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The actualy color is dependent on the bulb. You can get purple bulbs or blue bulbs. They look exactly the same if you compare them side by side. One shoots with a blue hue and the other shoots with a purple hue. (Hanabi kits) I've had both bulbs in my car, the purple is wild. My point is it's the bulb and whats in it that make the color. If you look close there is some white poweder in the capsule of the HID bulb. I "think" this white substance actually adds the color to the light output. Thats the only thing I could find, because both sets that I had, blue and purple, looked identical. Until you lit them up. Then there were very different, right from startup. I think the purple light did a better job of lighting up the road with less glare then the blue ones do. Anybody want to trade my blue for your purple?
So what kit and bulb would you suggest for me? I want something that is just white and bright. If it has a slight jue of any color thats ok, but if I want blue lights I'll go spend 10 bucks and get the cheapo sylvania cool blue bulbs.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
how easy are the HID's to install, are they really a plug and play install? meaning no splicing and nothing of that sort? do they plug into the stock harness like the upgrade headlight harnesses? thanks....
Old 02-18-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
I assume by heat you are refering to the color temperature, which is measured in Kelvin. However, as this is a form of energy, it is not really in heat per se. Granted the HID bulb does give off heat, the HIDs burn cooler than regular H3 or H4 bulbs. The color temp is the color index at which it is compared to the color spectrum. The reason why the Audi lights reflect different colors at different angles is because of the way the lens is made. Being at different angles to the way the light is reflecting makes you notice the refraction of that particular color at its respective wavelength. Just think of sunlight travelling through a prism, and how you get the refraction of a rainbow. It's all about physics. The color temp is about physics with chemistry. Hope this helps.
Like he said, all these projector headlights have quartz capsules made out of blue glass that gives off that purple / bluish color at certain angles. I tried getting those capsules but they don't sell them separetly only as a whole assembly. but you if you try really hard, you might just find them...
Old 02-19-2002, 05:32 AM

Well said >>

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
It's good to see an auto enthusiast who actually applies physics rather than bandwagon-jumping on the latest rice trend.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HID thoughts

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Or is it due the extremely thin front plastic lense doesn't provide adequate isolation to let the bulb get up to optimal heat?
The 95-96's have Glass Lights not plastic. Does anyone know if they look better on the 95-96 then the 97-99's?

Does anyone think that the 97-99's lights will melt because of the HIDs?

erik
Old 02-19-2002, 06:31 AM

Re: Re: HID thoughts

Originally posted by tifosiv122

The 95-96's have Glass Lights not plastic. Does anyone know if they look better on the 95-96 then the 97-99's?

Does anyone think that the 97-99's lights will melt because of the HIDs?

erik
i have done 5th gens, 4th, and 3rd gens and never herd of a housing melting. a few ppl even have them in the fog lights and i have to say they look great.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:38 AM

Geez, where are all of these HID myths coming from????
Old 02-19-2002, 06:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

Originally posted by 97GLES
i have done 5th gens, 4th, and 3rd gens and never herd of a housing melting. a few ppl even have them in the fog lights and i have to say they look great.
I still did not install mine because I need to go for re-inspection. I failed real bad last week.

Erik
Old 02-19-2002, 06:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

I still did not install mine because I need to go for re-inspection. I failed real bad last week.

Erik
did you show the guy the NOS bottle? lo lol lol
Old 02-19-2002, 06:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

Originally posted by 97GLES
did you show the guy the NOS bottle? lo lol lol
I removed the bottle and brackets in case they wanted to open trunk for whatever reason.

Erik
Old 02-19-2002, 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

I removed the bottle and brackets in case they wanted to open trunk for whatever reason.

Erik
Glad to know about your inspection problem, and I am very happy that there are people here who have done this mod. But can ANYONE explain for the lay people (me) how this plug and play thing works? Is it a direct plug into my stock harnesses? or is there cutting and splicing needed? Does it use my stock light switch?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

Glad to know about your inspection problem, and I am very happy that there are people here who have done this mod. But can ANYONE explain for the lay people (me) how this plug and play thing works? Is it a direct plug into my stock harnesses? or is there cutting and splicing needed? Does it use my stock light switch?
The only thing you will need is wire taps and Radio Shack sells them. I I haven't installed the taps yet because its to cold out. The other thing you need to do is find where you want the starters and balasts to go. That's it.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

Originally posted by deezo

The only thing you will need is wire taps and Radio Shack sells them. I I haven't installed the taps yet because its to cold out. The other thing you need to do is find where you want the starters and balasts to go. That's it.
Thanks man, so they just piggy back on to your current light switch? or on to the the power source?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:21 AM

Re: Well said >>

Originally posted by Albertt

It's good to see an auto enthusiast who actually applies physics rather than bandwagon-jumping on the latest rice trend.
What's rice about H.I.D.? I would support your comment if you were talking about cheap blue halogen imitation bulbs.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID thoughts

Thanks man, so they just piggy back on to your current light switch? or on to the the power source?
Connects right into the connector for the 9004.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Sweeeeet.
So just so I have it right in my head. The power supply connects directly into the 9004 plug? Then what do you wire tap?
Old 02-19-2002, 10:48 AM

Sweeeeet.
So just so I have it right in my head. The power supply connects directly into the 9004 plug? Then what do you wire tap?
There are 2 narrow "pins" that you either will stick into the holes on the connector or splicing the wires to the positive and negative to get power.

The easy and cleanest way to do it is to get the wire taps. You would tap the positive to positive and negative to negative.