General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 08:23 PM

Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

I am in the process of building a S/C setup on my 4th gen and I need to know what are the most important guages to have as to properly monitor things like fp, EGT, Boost and a/f. Those wideband o2 af guages are to expensive so the a/f guage is out of the question. I only have a pillar to hold 2 guages so which should I get? It seems that I would really need all 3. I will be running a vac/boost port FMU with a 6:1 or 8:1 disc and a 255lph pump, but I would eventually like to fine tune the mixture with a fields or apexi afc. Anyone know good info/pricing on either of these? Also as a side note is it always necessary to run some type of bov with a 7-9 psi s/c setup? Thanks in advance, I just want to do this right the first time.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:29 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

Originally posted by AllGo
I am in the process of building a S/C setup on my 4th gen and I need to know what are the most important guages to have as to properly monitor things like fp, EGT, Boost and a/f. Those wideband o2 af guages are to expensive so the a/f guage is out of the question. I only have a pillar to hold 2 guages so which should I get? It seems that I would really need all 3. I will be running a vac/boost port FMU with a 6:1 or 8:1 disc and a 255lph pump, but I would eventually like to fine tune the mixture with a fields or apexi afc. Anyone know good info/pricing on either of these? Also as a side note is it always necessary to run some type of bov with a 7-9 psi s/c setup? Thanks in advance, I just want to do this right the first time.
Welcome! Try the search feature to answer most of your questions...

But most of the stuff you listed isn't really necessary using the 'standard' SC kit from Stillen with 6-7 psi...
Old 02-20-2002, 05:02 AM

Re: Re: Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

Originally posted by Chunger

Welcome! Try the search feature to answer most of your questions...

But most of the stuff you listed isn't really necessary using the 'standard' SC kit from Stillen with 6-7 psi...
I have been on the org for over two years but mainly read all the info and watch sprintmax post on every topic with smilies?
I was hoping someone with some experience with s/c and guages would give some opinions on which guages they felt were most important.
I am running a powerdyne s/c with a custom mounting plate so everything is being done by myself. I can't justify spending $3600
for a noisy V2 when I buy direct and can do the work myself for ~$2300 sans bov. I will be running approximately 8 psi so I think just a FMU would be sufficient but if I could get some info on a good AFC I would definitely consider it. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:05 AM

I'm running the Fields Fuel Controller(http://www.field-net.co.jp/english/) along with EGT, boost, fuel pressure and trans temp guages.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

Since you're willing to hold only two gauges, get boost and EGT.

You should go with a BOV... don't want to mess up your SC, right?
Old 02-20-2002, 08:29 AM

Re: Re: Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Since you're willing to hold only two gauges, get boost and EGT.

You should go with a BOV... don't want to mess up your SC, right?
I guess your right about the BOV extending the s/c life since it is such a big investment whats another $200. Does anyone happen to know the quietest one available? I try to keep all the stuff under the hood as quiet as possible to not alarm my g/f of my mod spending or the unsuspecting vehicle alongside. I think I will just get the egt and boost gauges. My f/p should be ok with the stronger pump and I will just have to monitor my burn according to the egt reading. After thinking about it more the boost gauge is a must to really know how your pulley is producing and if you have any leaks. EGT seems strange but provides a constant reading but does anyone here have any experience with reading the plugs? I here mardigrasmax talk about it but he runs copper electrode plugs if I am not mistaken. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

In the Stillen kit, there's a Bosch recirculation valve. It reroutes boosted air (let out because of a closed throttle plate) back into the intake. Since it doesn't let out into the atmosphere, it's fairly quiet.

Do a search on reading plugs. There's plenty of useful info.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:21 AM

For boosted cars generally EGT, boost, fuel pressure are the gauges to get. This company www.westach.com sells dual channel gauges so you could have EGT/boost on the same gauge.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:28 AM
BlkCat

Re: Re: Re: Best Guages / Air Fuel Mgt.?

I can't justify spending $3600 for a noisy V2 when I buy direct and can do the work myself for ~$2300 sans bov.
The V2 really isn't very noisy IMHO.