General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Purchasing a car heavily modded or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 08:06 AM
les
Newbie - Just Registered

Purchasing a car heavily modded or stock?

I want to buy a 95 maxima and would like you guys opinions on whether it makes sense buying a modded car.The car in question is flawless inside and out and has 10-12k easy in mods. I would like to purchase it but I know "obviously" that the owner ran the car hard. However, if I do a compression and leakdown will this alone give a good indication of the engines condition-how about the trany.As I said before the car is flawless-my only concern is the drivetrain.Should I purchase it knowing that I will probably replace the trany and or engine or should I start with a bone stocker.I like the idea of buying it knowing that I can take it to another level of mods for an insignificant amount of money as comared to modding a stock car which would take more time and even more money. The owner wants 7k for the car.I would like opinions of this age old debate stock or modded.Thanks guys for your views on this matter

Mark
Old 02-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I would never buy a modded car. Even if all seems weel, you never know if they were installed right or anything.

I mod my cars, but I know I will do it right.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:51 AM

That's a really good question. Yes, you will save lot's of money on mods for the car, but I also think that half the fun of being a car enthusiast is being able to modify a bone stock car. It's all personal preference, though.

If you're hell bent on getting the modded car, make sure you, or a qualified mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb. Replacing a motor/tranny is no fun when you buy a car. Also, if there is a reason for him selling it for so cheap in perfect condition, I'd be a little suspicious myself. Look around and see what else you can find before you jump on this one.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:12 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

The car I purchased was slightly modded. UDP, Y-Pipe, Muffler, Springs, Wheels, RSB, FTSB. All after market (all purchased directly from $tilen) and installed by a Nissan dealer that I talked to and got a good feeling from. The knew what they were doing (even after taking everything off...they crossed all the t's and dotted their i's doing the installs).

I've since taken every mod off (except the UDP and RSB, 'cause it would have been dumb to take it off just to replace it with the same thing) and replaced it with the mods that I had or wanted.

The bonus to doing so was that I got to sell the extra parts for money, in my mind reducing the cost of the car.

10-12k in mods doesn't mean you should pay for them. Based on your description of the car (and assuming reasonable mileage) 7k for that car seems more than fair.

Do a compression test (you shouldn't need a leak down unless that shows problems). I don't think there's much you can do about checking the tranny. Maybe purchase him new tranny fluid and drain what's in there..check for metal, etc. But its not worth the cost to open the tranny up just to check its condition. If (assuming 5sp) the clutch holds and every gear feels good, you should be okay.

What kind of mods are we talking about?
Old 02-19-2002, 11:57 AM

One thing to check for too is if it seems that the owner would have really beaten on the car much. That alone might warrant you shying away. But if it was someone who just wanted a bit more power or what not on reserve for if they felt like a fun few moments now and again tthen you should be okay.

SuDZ