General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got pulled over tonight.. kind of long, not bad.. read it

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got pulled over tonight.. kind of long, not bad.. read it

So I come up behind a truck (U-Haul deal) and he was doing about 10 MPH in a 35, so move to the left lane and slightly accelerate to go around and come back over maybe doing about 40 MPH at the maximum.. I don't speed because I stand out too much to try and get away with it..

I pass and come back over and as I start to make a right turn a mile down the road a cop on a bike pulls me over..

Cop: License and Registration please..
Me: Okay sir, here you are..
Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over this evening?
Me: Well I am guessing you saw me pass that truck back there and maybe I was speeding..
Cop: You were doing 55 in a 35.. Is that a TV??
Me: Well sir I had no idea I had gotten up to 55, I was using cruise control and I am well aware of the speed limit, I apologize if I was speeding.. and yes that is a TV..
Cop: Well it's $168 and 3 points for your speeding ticket, $78 and 3 more points for the TV obstructing your view of the road (a distraction) and $112 and 2 more points for your decals on the side of your car because they distract other drivers, what do you have to say for yourself?
Me: Well it seems I have racked up quite some fines and points, I was unaware of any problem with decals as well as the TV, but dont a lot of SUV's and vans have TV's for passengers??
Cop: I'll let you go on the speeding and decals, but you cant have that tv, vans and suv's are not supposed to have them on either, it is against the law.. what are you going to do with the tv.??
Me: my car is a show car and goes to shows almost every weekend and a lot of companies have investments in my car, so i will turn the tv off when i am not showing the car..
Cop: if i pass you again and see that TV, i will pull you over and take the tv from your car.. this is nothing to mess around with..
Me: thank you officer i appreciate it.. (shakes hands)..

well who had any idea that car dealerships had been breaking the law all this time by having tv's available in cars stock.. i called my audio guy right after and he said the cop was just a ***** and saw a kid in a hooked up car.. oh well. just figured i'd share.. glad to see the cop was doing his job i guess..
Old 02-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

is that a tv?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
is that a tv?
it took some strength to not say.. NO IT'S A MICROWAVE DUMB@SS.. of course it's a TV..
Old 02-19-2002, 08:07 PM

i hear ya on the too much attention to get away w/thingy....
Old 02-19-2002, 08:08 PM
Administrator

do black maxima's attract more attention than the others? because you both have plain looking black maxima's
Old 02-19-2002, 08:13 PM

I don't know your state's laws, but I don't think TV's are illegal in cars. Stickers aren't either. Sounds like he saw a hopped up car and thought he could get his quota. I'd fight it, that's a ridiculous number of points anyway.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:13 PM

do black maxima's attract more attention than the others? because you both have plain looking black maxima's
to bad jasons max isn't black!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by pawn

to bad jasons max isn't black!
sorry BLACK Emerald
Old 02-19-2002, 08:17 PM

sorry BLACK Emerald

still not black!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:19 PM

and i dont care what people think of my decals.. i like em.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by thebigsadler

and i dont care what people think of my decals.. i like em.

pawn.. i still love you for selling the auto for a 5spd
Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 PM

pawn.. i still love you for selling the auto for a 5spd
smartest thing i ever did!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:49 PM

Re: Got pulled over tonight.. kind of long, not bad.. read it

well who had any idea that car dealerships had been breaking the law all this time by having tv's available in cars stock.. i called my audio guy right after and he said the cop was just a ***** and saw a kid in a hooked up car.. oh well. just figured i'd share.. glad to see the cop was doing his job i guess.. [/B]
The TV can not be in the driver or passengers view from what I remember. Most importantly the driver can not be able to see the TV.
Other than that it is OK. If you had a TV mounted were the dome light was facing the rear seats, it would have been legal.
As well as any conversion/custom van I have ever been in has a built in TV/VCR between the captains chairs facing the second row of seats.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:51 PM

wouldn't you think that he would hit you for the speeding if that's what he pulled you over for, and not for the tv?...i mean, i'm sure the city would rather have a higher speeding fine due to them than a bogus tv fine...unless of course he knew you weren't really speeding and he just wanted to pull you over to be a pain in the @$$, which is most likely the case...but i don't really think that having a TV in vans and suvs is illegal because those things are so well-advertised that law enforcement would be all over it if it really was illegal
Old 02-19-2002, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by 97BlackMax
wouldn't you think that he would hit you for the speeding if that's what he pulled you over for, and not for the tv?...
Unless he only saw you speeding and didn't really get you on radar which means he has no proof. Hence the 55/35 when you said you only got to 40mph. He saw the TV and thought he could get you for that easier than a false speeding ticket. Prolly just jealous of the real cops with real cop cars.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:58 PM

ok, just to set everyone straight here:

its illegal when its the driver can view it(tv/movie/video game etc.), but the indash tv/hu isn't illegal itself because your not supposed to be able to watch it while in motion...like w/alpine your there is a feature that you have to go: push brake, pull ebrake, let ebrake down, pull it back up, let off brake..then it will let you use the features....(all though that is easily bypassed) so if not watching anything their not illegal..

jason....you were watching a movie weren't you???
Old 02-19-2002, 09:19 PM

so what about navigation system? it's a LCD screen.. and the driver have to watch it? just curious..
Old 02-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So... Was the TV on?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:40 PM

no officer its a microwave...."ding"...oh my hotposcket is done...would you like a bite"?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by MarkG
no officer its a microwave...."ding"...oh my hotposcket is done...would you like a bite"?

some DVD was playing I imagine.. I don't even remember actually.. I never look at it when I am alone and driving only when other people are in the car..

and i loved the comment about the bike cop being jealous of the real cops with cars.. that was great.

sprint.. blah blah blah..
Old 02-19-2002, 10:52 PM

Hey jason..

I would have to agree with the statement that if the tv is within the driver/front passenger's view and is on then it might be illegal, I have never had a problem with it here in mississippi.

Also I have been meaning to get the pics of my car for ya, I just haven't really been able to find it in myself to take a pic of my car since the wreck, but when it is finished I will definitely post the long awaited pics.

One lase thing, I might be a dumb@ss but what does your large graffix represent?

Blake
Old 02-20-2002, 01:20 AM

Re: Hey jason..

Look at it closely, it's a Maxima. I got the idea from the BTCC touring Primera's, look at those cars and you will understand.

Originally posted by nvmymax2

One lase thing, I might be a dumb@ss but what does your large graffix represent?

Blake
Old 02-20-2002, 01:20 AM

It is a bird of prey graphic, the bird is always chasing him! run dude RUN!
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 AM

that kinda sucks kinda funny all in the same, i dont know about the legality of tvs where you live but up her in minnesota its against the law to ship cars in with tvs in them. a dealer was tellin me a few years ago, like those vans that had that warners brothers package awhile back couldnt be shipped in to the state but tvs could be installed after the sale. some laws dont make sense.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Sway1331
that kinda sucks kinda funny all in the same, i dont know about the legality of tvs where you live but up her in minnesota its against the law to ship cars in with tvs in them. a dealer was tellin me a few years ago, like those vans that had that warners brothers package awhile back couldnt be shipped in to the state but tvs could be installed after the sale. some laws dont make sense.
Laws may not make sense but one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is distractions in a car that cause "stupid-driver-itis". Of course nobody on this board is accused because we all drive to drive..
I just could not imagine driving the way I do (aggressively, so I may be no better) and trying to watch a movie at the same time.

BUT, any law that make these dummy drivers who, when they pick up their phone, all of a sudden drop 10 - 15 MPH STAY in the left lane and become oblivious to the road and surrounding drivers is a good one for me. I understand it might cause a loss of freedom.

But IMHO, as long as the driver cannot be distracted (read: tempted to watch) then it should be no biggie. Some people are capable of doing more than one thing, but most usually neglect the part most important to driving a car when two things are present....the driving part.

My favorite example, at my moms expense, was when she had a friend in the car and was having a lively conversation took both hands off the wheel to explain something, missed a turn and we through someones yard and bonked a tree. I was like 8 when it happened. I just remember my dad getting FURIOUS at the stupidity.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:44 AM

you should have invited him to take a seat and watch the movie with you..
Old 02-20-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by 99maxi
you should have invited him to take a seat and watch the movie with you..

the decal was shadow's design and my application, some of us are better at installing then others..

i guess if i ever get pulled over again i'll close the tv immediately or turn off any DVD or game.. it's really not on for me to watch, just on.. i am a very observant driver.

blake- take some damn pictures
Old 02-20-2002, 10:14 AM

Occasionally on my way to work, I pass this woman in a Jeep Wrangler who every morning, is combing her long hair and talking on her cell at the same time.

If that isn't bad enough, one morning while she was doing everything else, she reached for and took a drink of coffee. You know she was driving with her knees and with the small wheel base those Jeeps have, it wouldn't take much to make that thing do a triple-gainer on the road. I fly past her as quickly as I can every time I see her.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:22 AM

it's so weird when some people get on the phone when driving they become retarded.. women in SUV's on the phone is a horrible mix of events.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:51 AM

Ever see those ladies doing their hair, make up, eye lashes, talking on phone, reading magazines, painting nails? Get out of my way! Maxima coming through.

If it's illegal to have a TV in the automobile then there will be tons of SUV and Minivan with factory installed TV geting pulled over at a state near you.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Stealth Max
Ever see those ladies doing their hair, make up, eye lashes, talking on phone, reading magazines, painting nails? Get out of my way! Maxima coming through.

If it's illegal to have a TV in the automobile then there will be tons of SUV and Minivan with factory installed TV geting pulled over at a state near you.
Yeah, like a moto-cop is going to pull over a road-rage prone soccer-mom in a minivan or SUV. That's a good one.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:31 PM

as far as the decals go, I've seen a lot of people with kick *** paint jobs, does that maen they are also a distraction. What about the hot chick or the excotic ferarri in the next lane, those also distract other drivers.

for the TV, ti's probably an issue if you have it in the front seat where the driver can see it. if it's in the back (for passengers), like in SUVs and vans, then it's not an issue.

You should have just said it's a GPS device display. Those are legal.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by medic
as far as the decals go, I've seen a lot of people with kick *** paint jobs, does that maen they are also a distraction. What about the hot chick or the excotic ferarri in the next lane, those also distract other drivers.

for the TV, ti's probably an issue if you have it in the front seat where the driver can see it. if it's in the back (for passengers), like in SUVs and vans, then it's not an issue.

You should have just said it's a GPS device display. Those are legal.
i never think of these things, good points though.. i didnt even think to just CLOSE the tv..
Old 02-20-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by MarkG

Dont you mean Doughnut.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: Got pulled over tonight.. kind of long, not bad.. read it

So I come up behind a truck (U-Haul deal) and he was doing about 10 MPH in a 35, so move to the left lane and slightly accelerate to go around and come back over maybe doing about 40 MPH at the maximum.. I don't speed because I stand out too much to try and get away with it..

I pass and come back over and as I start to make a right turn a mile down the road a cop on a bike pulls me over..

Cop: License and Registration please..
Me: Okay sir, here you are..
Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over this evening?
Me: Well I am guessing you saw me pass that truck back there and maybe I was speeding..
Cop: You were doing 55 in a 35.. Is that a TV??
Me: Well sir I had no idea I had gotten up to 55, I was using cruise control and I am well aware of the speed limit, I apologize if I was speeding.. and yes that is a TV..
Cop: Well it's $168 and 3 points for your speeding ticket, $78 and 3 more points for the TV obstructing your view of the road (a distraction) and $112 and 2 more points for your decals on the side of your car because they distract other drivers, what do you have to say for yourself?
Me: Well it seems I have racked up quite some fines and points, I was unaware of any problem with decals as well as the TV, but dont a lot of SUV's and vans have TV's for passengers??
Cop: I'll let you go on the speeding and decals, but you cant have that tv, vans and suv's are not supposed to have them on either, it is against the law.. what are you going to do with the tv.??
Me: my car is a show car and goes to shows almost every weekend and a lot of companies have investments in my car, so i will turn the tv off when i am not showing the car..
Cop: if i pass you again and see that TV, i will pull you over and take the tv from your car.. this is nothing to mess around with..
Me: thank you officer i appreciate it.. (shakes hands)..

well who had any idea that car dealerships had been breaking the law all this time by having tv's available in cars stock.. i called my audio guy right after and he said the cop was just a ***** and saw a kid in a hooked up car.. oh well. just figured i'd share.. glad to see the cop was doing his job i guess..
What state? He probably thought you looked suspicious so he wanted a look/see. When he saw you were an upright citizen he probably cut you a break. This girl told me her brother in-law is going to prison for driving with a revoked license. 3 DUI's or something. Now they might have to take care of the dude's kids. Reminds me how driving is a privelage.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM

In MA, the law says a TV must be behind the driver.

The motorcycle cop didn't know how fast you were going, did he? How did he say he measured you? I thought so.

Decals distracting other drivers? LOL How about bumperstickers?

I'm amazed when I see people commuting to work, drinking coffee, eating, and reading a newspaper or book while driving.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:38 PM

I am in Florida.. and he just said "i clocked you" or something around that.. i'm sure he passed me going the other direction..
Old 02-20-2002, 09:47 PM

I am in Florida.. and he just said "i clocked you" or something around that.. i'm sure he passed me going the other direction..
I'm not 100% sure, but last I heard (when I went to court for a ticket) radar was not admissable evidence in court in FL. I know for a fact that in KY. a cop cannot issue a citation for speeding if he clocked you on radar traveling the opposite direction on a two-lane road. Might want to check that out in FL.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:28 AM

what about Navigational displays??

So many high end cars now offer these TV like screens that interface with a GPS to show you a real-time map of where you are. In full view of the driver and front passenger. Isn't that a similar distraction? Granted, a movie would constantly take your eyes from the road, I could understand that.

I highly suggest you plead not guilty and fight this. Most definitely, the DA will let you off and probably have some corrective action for the cop. There is no illegality here. The only way it could be was if you were actively watching a TV program or movie and the cop spotted you doing this.

I was once pulled over for "passing on the right", which just happened by default (cop in left lane, car in front slows down because he realizes a cop is behind him--I'm in the right lane so he can't pull over and I end up passing without accelerating). Well, the cop had something up her colon so she pulled me over. Real attitude too, which wasn't instigated by me (I was very PC). Anyway, I went to court about it--the assistant DA looked at the docket, said something like "I don't like what this officer wrote here" and immediately dismissed it. Maybe it was just that time of the month, but anyway I hope she got wrist slapped for it.

~Gary
Old 02-21-2002, 07:23 AM

cops are @ssholes, its that simple. a TV does come in SUV's and Vans it does not make it illegal it only makes it legal if you are watching it while you are driving the car...... I cant believe the sh*t they pull you over for these days. I got pulled over and got a warning for my headlights and my licens plate cover thats tinted. The cop told me to take the lights out and the cover off and i never did. I never knew that decals where illegal also WTF is that all about. Seeing that I only have 2 little stickers on each of the back little windows its not that big of a deal but WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just my .02 cents,

Jay

Quick Reply: Got pulled over tonight.. kind of long, not bad.. read it