General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Paint Protector?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 04:22 AM

Paint Protector?

Hi all,

I've just placed an order for a 2002 Ebony Maxima SE. I'm switching over from a 2001 Acura CL Type-S (yes, acura-cl.com ).

My question:
The salesperson is offering something called "Paint protector". In the past, this has always been a scam, imho. However, this year they are guarenteeing it as a "stone and chip protector" too. Supposedly it adds enough protection that stones and chips will deflect harmlessly instead of sandblasting the paint off.

There is actually a 4-yr warranty with this. After 2 yrs, we have a (free) appointment for a second treatment. At that time, if we have noticed any chips,nicks,paint removal, we point it out to the dealer who is supposed to take care of it for free under the warranty.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it a total scam? I had purchased the original "paint protector" plan from Acura and it amounted to nothing more than a nice wax job and a bottle of polish to take home. Considering many ppl are complaining about the 02's paint-quality issues and suscessibility to chips, wouldn't this be a good thing if they indeed hold their end of the bargain? The dealer guarenteed me that after 4 yrs, the car would look "practically" new -- any chips would be taken care of by the dealership, and not just touch-up paint either.

Thanks for your input
Old 02-20-2002, 04:44 AM

Re: Paint Protector?

Never heard of this & they didn't offer it to me (although I did get the extended warranty cause I was scared bout the Navi system - $0 deductable)

But this sounds like a good option. Make sure you get it ALL in writing!!! And you should be fine.

BTW: How much?..

G

Old 02-20-2002, 06:03 AM

Re: Re: Paint Protector?

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Never heard of this & they didn't offer it to me (although I did get the extended warranty cause I was scared bout the Navi system - $0 deductable)

But this sounds like a good option. Make sure you get it ALL in writing!!! And you should be fine.

BTW: How much?..

G

hi ,

I got it for $35900CDN + tax. I'm happy with the price, it was stickered at $37,200 for SE + leather package ($3000 option) + transport/prep + AC tax + tire tax. When I first walked in we were talking $39xxx + taxes, eek.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:51 AM
JUVIN's ride

Re: Paint Protector?

Originally posted by CrippenX
Hi all,

I've just placed an order for a 2002 Ebony Maxima SE. I'm switching over from a 2001 Acura CL Type-S (yes, acura-cl.com ).

My question:
The salesperson is offering something called "Paint protector". In the past, this has always been a scam, imho. However, this year they are guarenteeing it as a "stone and chip protector" too. Supposedly it adds enough protection that stones and chips will deflect harmlessly instead of sandblasting the paint off.

There is actually a 4-yr warranty with this. After 2 yrs, we have a (free) appointment for a second treatment. At that time, if we have noticed any chips,nicks,paint removal, we point it out to the dealer who is supposed to take care of it for free under the warranty.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it a total scam? I had purchased the original "paint protector" plan from Acura and it amounted to nothing more than a nice wax job and a bottle of polish to take home. Considering many ppl are complaining about the 02's paint-quality issues and suscessibility to chips, wouldn't this be a good thing if they indeed hold their end of the bargain? The dealer guarenteed me that after 4 yrs, the car would look "practically" new -- any chips would be taken care of by the dealership, and not just touch-up paint either.

Thanks for your input
I never heard of that.

I would ask what they use to protect the paint. Getting it in writing is a must, if there is nothing on paper DON'T DO IT.

If they are willing to repair any paint problem ( chips, fade, peeling etc) then go for it, just make sure to get the (WRITING).

Let us know what they use to protect the car.

good luck!
Old 02-20-2002, 06:52 AM

How much

How much additional are they asking for the paint protector? This would be an excellent investment if it works. I guess even if it doen't work like he claims at least for the next 4 years any chips and/or scratches will be taken care of. The only issue I see, and you may not care, but it only benefits Nissan, is that if you ever trade it back in to Nissan they know it's had paint work
Old 02-20-2002, 02:35 PM

That must be a Canadian thing, let us know how it works or if thier are nay visual imperfedtions in your paint as a result of it.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:09 PM

crippen i got the paint protector myself. cost was 300 cdn. I say go for it!
Old 02-22-2002, 03:13 PM

First of all get it in writing.

Second of all what if your neighbours kid decides to ride his bike beside your max? does that count as well?

Anyway on my max, the only paint damages have been from either the weather or my neighbours learning how to ride their bike for the first time beside my car.

I've never had any stone scratchings or anything like that and I use the 2-in-1 car washes (shamp00 + condi..er wax) and I get alot of rock/sand kicked up on me from those stupid SUV's on the Highway
Old 02-24-2002, 07:46 AM

scam