General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trailer Hitch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 02:43 PM

Trailer Hitch Wiring

I need to put a Class 1 hitch on my I-30. (Don't flame me, its to haul a jet ski ) The local hitch company uses Draw Tight and according to their catalog, the Maxima, nee I-30, requires a electronic module to hook the trailer lights to. Apparently the module needs a direct voltage from the battery to run it.... and it cost $110.00 (ouch). Plus the cost of the hitch. The only reason I could think of is there might be a voltage sensor to let you know if a bulb is out, but I never had a bulb out. Any ideas?

Anyone wire up their 4th Gen splicing wires in the back?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2002, 02:47 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Trailer Hitch Wiring

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
I need to put a Class 1 hitch on my I-30. (Don't flame me, its to haul a jet ski ) The local hitch company uses Draw Tight and according to their catalog, the Maxima, nee I-30, requires a electronic module to hook the trailer lights to. Apparently the module needs a direct voltage from the battery to run it.... and it cost $110.00 (ouch). Plus the cost of the hitch. The only reason I could think of is there might be a voltage sensor to let you know if a bulb is out, but I never had a bulb out. Any ideas?

Anyone wire up their 4th Gen splicing wires in the back?

Thanks
If you can't get a good answer.. Email or AIM me monday. I have a factory service manual with wiring diagrams and I could help you if need be.

bags533@aol.com
bags533 AIM
Old 02-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

depends on how "clean" you want the install to be, for 100+ bucks, it had better include clips that are the same as the ones to the factory tailights (ie, unhook harness from tailight, clip in trailer wiring harness, clip back in to tailight) if you aren't concerned about that, go to a autozone or similar and get a ~$30 trailer light kit, you'll have scotchlocks which will piggyback off the wires this way though...

IMHO it would be a rip off to have them wire your car, if you aren't afraid to crawl under your car, then i would buy the kit and do it myself, cuz if that is just for parts, and they charge labor on top...sheesh...

if you want to do it yourself, i could walk you through it step by step and give more explination on what kit to buy from the store...i used to work for a rental company (hint orange trucks) and have wired a few vehicles and put on some hitches in my time...