General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help Please...Starting probs...95 with 50,000miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 05:27 AM

I've heard from lots of you it's common for the starter to go...just a few questions....since I've had the car(6months) sometimes it doesn't start on the first try...always does on 2nd tho. This morning...frost on the car, pretty cold out...I try to start it and it coughs and dies. Crank again and nothing at all. Same 2 more times...then it starts. When I got home...I turned it off...started/turned off...repeated a dozen times and it's fine...then the same thing...crank..nothing.
I'm assuming it's my starter.

Can I get an aftermarket one...or am I stuck with the crappy stock one?

How much are they?

Can I change it myself...anyone got instructions?

Thanks..
Josh
Old 11-17-2000, 05:38 AM
Rit

The starter is merely a motor that rotates the engine,

so if you can hear that running ( and rotating the engine), it is more than likely, NOT the starter that is the problem. Once again, it sounds like a temperature sensor that is not telling the ECM to give a fuel rich mixture to start the car when the engine is cold. A lot of people are complaining abount this, and we NEED to figure this one out BEFORE I start having the problem!

Now, is you starter turning ?

Old 11-17-2000, 05:41 AM
The missing moderator

No it's not the starter... it's the fuel system in the maxima. If you car turns over and coughs that means the start did it's job. The car not cranking on the first try is VERY common. No real proof, but I think it's the fuel pump, can not supply enough pressure when you get in and crank right away... try giving it a few seconds before you crank... let it prime up.

-Shing

Originally posted by josh95se
I've heard from lots of you it's common for the starter to go...just a few questions....since I've had the car(6months) sometimes it doesn't start on the first try...always does on 2nd tho. This morning...frost on the car, pretty cold out...I try to start it and it coughs and dies. Crank again and nothing at all. Same 2 more times...then it starts. When I got home...I turned it off...started/turned off...repeated a dozen times and it's fine...then the same thing...crank..nothing.

How much are they?

Thanks..
Josh
Old 11-17-2000, 05:56 AM

I always do give it a few seconds first....

Then I crank. Today is the only time ever that when going to start it did nothing....if it was my starter...other than the car obviously not starting...how would I know? BTW...my last oil change they put in 10/30...could that have anything to do with it?

Josh
Also...sometimes it turned over really slow like it was trying to turn over but didn't have the energy....

Originally posted by Shingles
No it's not the starter... it's the fuel system in the maxima. If you car turns over and coughs that means the start did it's job. The car not cranking on the first try is VERY common. No real proof, but I think it's the fuel pump, can not supply enough pressure when you get in and crank right away... try giving it a few seconds before you crank... let it prime up.

-Shing

How much are they?

Thanks..
Josh
Old 11-17-2000, 06:29 AM
The missing moderator

Re: I always do give it a few seconds first....

Check you battery...
no oil won't have anything to do with this.

Well I donno, a lot of people have strating problems... My car have had stupid starting problems since new... so I donno... I guess it's not a real problem per se. But starters generally don't get bad, well they shouldn't anways... But I would check your battery from what you said last... a good battery will have about 13+V when not being charged... just go to your locak autoparts store, and have them load test it.

-Shing

Then I crank. Today is the only time ever that when going to start it did nothing....if it was my starter...other than the car obviously not starting...how would I know? BTW...my last oil change they put in 10/30...could that have anything to do with it?

Josh
Also...sometimes it turned over really slow like it was trying to turn over but didn't have the energy....

Originally posted by Shingles

-Shing

How much are they?

Thanks..
Josh
Old 11-17-2000, 06:38 AM

Thanks Shing...

I'll check the battery..I think it's good tho....lights are still nice and bright with car off.
Old 11-17-2000, 09:18 AM

Re: The starter is merely a motor that rotates the engine,

Hey, now who's stealing my theories about starting troubles now??? Haha just kidding...it's cool you think enough of my crazy ideas to repost them!

Anyways, "josh", I think it is not a starter problem. If your starter cranks but the car does not start, it is most likely a fuel related problem. If your battery is good (i.e. over 12.6V at rest) and the starter does not crank, it's the starter. If you have the Haynes or factory manual, you can backprobe the various sensors to see if one is malfunctioning. All you need is a $20 voltmeter and a bit of patience.

Originally posted by Rit
so if you can hear that running ( and rotating the engine), it is more than likely, NOT the starter that is the problem. Once again, it sounds like a temperature sensor that is not telling the ECM to give a fuel rich mixture to start the car when the engine is cold. A lot of people are complaining abount this, and we NEED to figure this one out BEFORE I start having the problem!

Now, is you starter turning ?

Old 11-17-2000, 12:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok my starter story... About 6 months ago or so the car was starting very weakly... Werrrrr err.er.. (starter sound) then Veroommm... the engine would start. It sounded to me like a weak battery. Then a few day's after I noticed it.. wer...er... (nothing)... wer... (nothing) click...

Damn it must be the battery. The local auto parts store confirmed that. "Yep the battery's toast." So I picked up a new one. It started fine. Well until the next day. Click... Damn....

Ok starter time. Replaced it at 65,000 mile's - oh ya 95 SE here and the problems been fine ever since.

Now the question is, is the car not staying running? or is the car just not starting up? If it start's then immediately dies then you're probably experiencing what's been haunting Shing. If its cranking weakly then I'd beat its what I'm describing.

Btw... Starters in 95-96 are fairly common they seem to last 50,000 - 70,000 miles. Use the search feature and look up Starters

Regards
Wizeguy