General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Oh $hit...knocking sound on 4th gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 07:13 AM

I was driving to work this morning and pulled out of the drive and took off as normal; don't hit above 2500rpm till its warmed up. I get on the highway and here this knocking sound coming from the right front end. I stop on the side of the highway at 6am and get a flashlight out and look under the car. There is fluid everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I check tranny, oil, PS, Brake fluids and all are fine! The fluid is red in color like tranny fluid. I get in the car and start driving to work and as I get into the parking lot I lost all forward gears! Reverse works fine. I called Nissan and the towed it to the dealer. They told me the rear seal blew out on the tranny. So how come the fluid level was OK? Nice thing is that he said the tranny isn't damaged. They put some fluid in and it ran in gear but was blowing everywhere....idiots!

No I need a new seal and they said $500min and more like 650 b/c the tranny has to come out of the car. Is that acceptable for a god damn seal? I know it must be labor intensive...but that seems labor abusive.

I need thoughts quick as I have to call him before noon!

Thanks,
SHUMAX
Old 11-17-2000, 07:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

u sure u didn't hit anything?? yeah if it is your rear main seal they have to drop the tranny to change a oil seal. i assume it's the seal on the tranny. yes it's labor intensive. when you check the fluid it was prob just the beginning of the leak. by the time u got to work all the fluid was gone...hence stopped car. i'm thinking why did u kept going when u know there was a bad leak in the car?? you sure it's not the cooler lines? the fluid should not "shoot out" like a spray if it was just the seals. something not right here...
Dan

Originally posted by shumax
I was driving to work this morning and pulled out of the drive and took off as normal; don't hit above 2500rpm till its warmed up. I get on the highway and here this knocking sound coming from the right front end. I stop on the side of the highway at 6am and get a flashlight out and look under the car. There is fluid everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I check tranny, oil, PS, Brake fluids and all are fine! The fluid is red in color like tranny fluid. I get in the car and start driving to work and as I get into the parking lot I lost all forward gears! Reverse works fine. I called Nissan and the towed it to the dealer. They told me the rear seal blew out on the tranny. So how come the fluid level was OK? Nice thing is that he said the tranny isn't damaged. They put some fluid in and it ran in gear but was blowing everywhere....idiots!

No I need a new seal and they said $500min and more like 650 b/c the tranny has to come out of the car. Is that acceptable for a god damn seal? I know it must be labor intensive...but that seems labor abusive.

I need thoughts quick as I have to call him before noon!

Thanks,
SHUMAX
Old 11-17-2000, 07:45 AM

hmm

I kept driving b/c the fluid levels were fine; why wouldn't I if the levels are OK? I saw the fluid underneath, but wasn't sure where is was coming from. I only had 2miles to go too. Probably not that smart, but neither was leaving my car on the side of a major highway!

I was hoping you would tell me they were full of crap! Darn it...humor me anyway!

SHUMAX

Old 11-17-2000, 08:02 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: hmm

well like i said "normally" ATF don't just spray out due to a bad seal. the spraying is probably a broken cooler line or something. when it was on the lift did u see where the ATF was coming from? towards the front of the car (by the radiator) or more in the mid of the engine bay?
Dan

Originally posted by shumax
I kept driving b/c the fluid levels were fine; why wouldn't I if the levels are OK? I saw the fluid underneath, but wasn't sure where is was coming from. I only had 2miles to go too. Probably not that smart, but neither was leaving my car on the side of a major highway!

I was hoping you would tell me they were full of crap! Darn it...humor me anyway!

SHUMAX

Old 11-17-2000, 09:26 AM

Sounds a lot like you hit something on the road. I'm guessing you have a lowered Maxima, so it would not be an usual thing to happen.

Either way, good luck on your repair. It is very unusual for a rear seal to just "burst". Usually it fails over time, leaking slowly enough for you to catch the problem before it becomes serious.

How often did you have your transmission serviced on your car? Since you are getting it repaired now, it would be the perfect time for you to get the valve body mod if you have an auto, or to flush and refill it with synthetic fluid.

Old 11-17-2000, 09:56 AM

problem determined.

Ok....this is odd. They tell me its the seal and then they determine that the main feed line burst from a crack so small you couldn't see it unless you had a microscope. The crack ran the ENTIRE length of the tube. My car is a 95SE with 64k and the dealer said it was a defect and would replace it for free.
I know its not a big deal to fix so I could have done it on my own if they weren't going to do it for free. They are filling it with Synthetic oil that I got over lunch...expensive!!! I just have to pay them to clean it for me. I said forget it and that I would clean it on my own with my power washer.
The banging was the bracket that holds the pipe hitting the ground as I went along on the road. The fluid built up enough pressure for it to burst and break the bracket and spray everywhere. When the car stopped there was no pressure so none came out....thus the level appeared OK. As soon as I started the car and took off the pressure built up and started spraying again.

So this isn't costing me a thing other than the oil and the inconvience! Thank you god! I can't afford it right now!

SHUMAX

Old 11-17-2000, 10:32 AM

Congrats on the cheap fix!!

*whew*