General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

amber side marker bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:56 AM

amber side marker bulbs

When I put on my clear corners I noticed there were amber bulbs for the side markers. I thought they looked cheesy and ruined the effect of all clear lights, so I put the stock bulb back in with the new lenses. Is there any legal reason I have to run these? The larger corner light next to the headlamp runs clear, so I don't see why the smaller light under it can't as well. I'm not talking about the turn signals. These are just the side front running lights next to the turn signals.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

stock bulbs? you'll most likely be fine... i have PIAA Xtreme Whites in there; surely grabs some attention.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:23 PM

I like the amber look

I switched back to the amber bulbs for safety reasons. You just can't tell see the turn signal during the daytime. I painted a transparent silver coat over the bulbs, so they look clean when not activated. After having clear bumper lights on my white Maxima for 4 years, I'm getting kinda tired of the look. I'm thinking about digging out my old stock orange pieces and slapping them on the car for awhile.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:15 PM

Re: I like the amber look

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I switched back to the amber bulbs for safety reasons. You just can't tell see the turn signal during the daytime. I painted a transparent silver coat over the bulbs, so they look clean when not activated. After having clear bumper lights on my white Maxima for 4 years, I'm getting kinda tired of the look. I'm thinking about digging out my old stock orange pieces and slapping them on the car for awhile.
I'm running amber turn signal lights. I'm talking about that tiny bulb in the marker light next to it (doesn't blink). As for clear corners, it's the first time I've really done something just for cosmetics on this car, and I think it looks a lot cleaner. Just my opinion ...
Old 02-24-2002, 10:20 PM

Oh I see

I did the sidemarker mod so it blinks with the front turn signal. I figure cars can't see my signal from the side on the freeway, so I thought it'd be safer. Oh hey, I noticed in your sig that you have the Quaife differential. How do you like it? I'm thinking it might be my next and last mod. I'm getting crazy wheel spin now.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:50 PM

Trade ya!

How did you wire the side marker to blink with the turn signals? Electrical work isn't my favorite, that's for sure!

As for the Quaife ... yummy! I was getting lots of wheel spin, even just driving normal, since I went to a lighter flywheel and stronger clutch. With the Quaife I get very little wheel spin. In fact, it's better in the wet than I was in the dry without it. Torque steering is negligible. If you can afford it, it's a nice mod. I bet it would be great with a supercharger! One warning ... a shop I know put one in a supercharged VW. The guy was showing off how he could lay double stripes on the pavement and he broke his crankshaft! That's a pretty thick chunk of steel to snap ... but great traction, hey!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: I like the amber look

ya, i think it's illegal to not have an amber reflector and a lighted amber on the side of the front. But everyone i've seen who has clears just has the normal clear bulb in there except for me. So, do whatever ya want, it's your car....