General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tire decision..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 08:03 AM

Tire decision..?

Yep for the 1000th time

I've been reading threads about tire choices and most people seem to mention the Nito 555s. However a lot of people also mention they handle like crap in the rain. Since it rains quite a bit here even in the summer time I really am looking for an all weather tire that can haldle pretty decent in the snow (I'd prefer not to slide all over).

I was thinking of getting 245/40/18 or 235/40/18 as I understand that 225s give a rough ride for an 18" rim. Noise is quite important to me as well. Anyone have any pictures of what different tire sizes look like I am not too sure what the 40 measurement meants.

So far I have only looked at tirerack mainly because of the user reviews. I was thinking about theYokohama AVS dB The only thing that concerns me is the mileage. From the reviews I read it gets about 30K miles is that normal for a low profile tire?

Also since I would be getting 245s or 235s I would probably need (not require though?) a odometer adjustement. Any idea as to what one would cost me?

I would appreciate any other suggestions on tires though
Old 02-26-2002, 08:33 AM

Yes you are correct Nitto's do not hold up well in the rain. They also have a "sidewall cracking" characteristic to them. I guess that would depend on the environmental conditions but everyone I know has had their Nitto's crack along the sidewall.

As for a good All season tire please check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. From the tirerack.com surveys and from what I hear about them they are excellent tires.

The 40 in 235/40 is called the aspect ratio and means the the height of the sidewall is 40% of the tire width, thus in this case 40% of 235mm = 94mm. This info along with other relevant tire info can be seen at the www.tirerack.com

I'm not sure if the speedometer can be adjusted as I'm not sure whether the computer compensates but with a 225 or 235 your speedo won't be that off. Since your going with an 18", personally I'd get the 235s but that's just because I like wider tires.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Ravq
Yes you are correct Nitto's do not hold up well in the rain. They also have a "sidewall cracking" characteristic to them. I guess that would depend on the environmental conditions but everyone I know has had their Nitto's crack along the sidewall.

As for a good All season tire please check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. From the tirerack.com surveys and from what I hear about them they are excellent tires.

The 40 in 235/40 is called the aspect ratio and means the the height of the sidewall is 40% of the tire width, thus in this case 40% of 235mm = 94mm. This info along with other relevant tire info can be seen at the www.tirerack.com

I'm not sure if the speedometer can be adjusted as I'm not sure whether the computer compensates but with a 225 or 235 your speedo won't be that off. Since your going with an 18", personally I'd get the 235s but that's just because I like wider tires.
Thanks for the info The Re950s seem very good as well however according to Bridgestone and Tirerack they do not offer that tire in 18s

How wide would 245s be? Does anyone have any pictures of what the different sizes would look like? I remember going to a site that would draw you a picture of tire sizes some time ago but seem to have lost the link
Old 02-26-2002, 11:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Finality
How wide would 245s be? Does anyone have any pictures of what the different sizes would look like?
At the Tirerack, go to "specs/prices" for the specific tire. They have a chart of the different sizes, including the tread width (contact patch width) section width (width at the bulge of the sidewalls, important for rubbing issues) and overall diameter. If you choose the right combination of tread size and aspect ratio, you can have a tire with the same overall diameter as a stock tire, just lower profile. This means you won't need to adjust the speedo.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Please be more specific about your requests.....

As far as 18" tires go chances are you wont find a cheap all-season 18" tire. Plus in 18" size tires really dont do that well in adverse weather. Rain and snow dont like stiff sidewalls and aggressive summer tread design most 18" tires feature. If you want a quiet comfortable tire I'd look at the Yokohama AVS DB's that you mentioned. But if price is not an option and you're looking for an "all-season" tire with a nice quiet ride and good treadwear check out the Michelin Sport A/S (all-season). Be warned they're a very expensive tire at $240+ each. But they do offer 9/10 ths of the sporty characteristics of the full blown sport tires and still have a treadwear rating of 400. Another suggestion would be Bridgestone Potenza RE 730. In 18" they're about $170+ per tire so they're still pretty expensive. I've driven on these tires in 17" (235/45/17) and I loved it. They grip really well have good treadwear rating (300) and they're pretty quiet on the road for a sport tire. This is in contrast to my current tires (BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDW 235/45/17) which are pretty loud but grip the road like glue.

Those are the only tires I can comment on, but if money isn't an object and your car is a daily driver I'd go for the Michelin Pilots Sport A/S 235/40/18. Either way good luck!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Please be more specific about your requests.....

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
Another suggestion would be Bridgestone Potenza RE 730. In 18" they're about $170+ per tire so they're still pretty expensive. I've driven on these tires in 17" (235/45/17) and I loved it. They grip really well have good treadwear rating (300) and they're pretty quiet on the road for a sport tire. This is in contrast to my current tires (BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDW 235/45/17) which are pretty loud but grip the road like glue.

Those are the only tires I can comment on, but if money isn't an object and your car is a daily driver I'd go for the Michelin Pilots Sport A/S 235/40/18. Either way good luck!
The Potenza are also very comparable to the Yokohamas unfortunately it looks as if it it was not designed for snow use. I am not to keep on spending the $240 for the Michelin Sport A/S.

Badaxxima: Thanks gonna take a look at it right now.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:08 PM

Any more advice? I'm probably going to order the Yokohama AVS dB seeing as there is little alternative *cough* read price *cough*. I would ideally like to get the Michelin Sport A/S but at over $100 more I doubt its worth it.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Badaxxima
At the Tirerack, go to "specs/prices" for the specific tire.
My bad, there's "specs" and "sizes/pricing." I was referring to "specs."
Old 02-26-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Badaxxima

My bad, there's "specs" and "sizes/pricing." I was referring to "specs."
Gotcha already figured that part out

Anyone car to comment on what tire size?
245/40WR18
235/40WR18

225s are too small for 18"s right?

Bleh just realized will these fit TSW revos 18 by 8? or would I be better off with 18 by 7? ie they wont stick outside the car like some ghetto Jeep
Old 02-26-2002, 09:37 PM

225s are too small for 18"s right?
It's been said (and repeated) that 18" 225's don't ride well. 235 40's are what most people go with. Try 245's for performance if you don't get rubbing, or just choose the size that comes closest to the stock overall diameter so it doesn't mess with your speedo. Just my $0.02
Old 02-26-2002, 09:46 PM

Re: Tire decision..?

Yep for the 1000th time

I've been reading threads about tire choices and most people seem to mention the Nito 555s. However a lot of people also mention they handle like crap in the rain. Since it rains quite a bit here even in the summer time I really am looking for an all weather tire that can haldle pretty decent in the snow (I'd prefer not to slide all over).

I was thinking of getting 245/40/18 or 235/40/18 as I understand that 225s give a rough ride for an 18" rim. Noise is quite important to me as well. Anyone have any pictures of what different tire sizes look like I am not too sure what the 40 measurement meants.

So far I have only looked at tirerack mainly because of the user reviews. I was thinking about theYokohama AVS dB The only thing that concerns me is the mileage. From the reviews I read it gets about 30K miles is that normal for a low profile tire?

Also since I would be getting 245s or 235s I would probably need (not require though?) a odometer adjustement. Any idea as to what one would cost me?

I would appreciate any other suggestions on tires though
ANY low profile tire will create a lot of road noise. I have Michelin Pilots. 225/50/ZR17 and I love them. They have a lot less noise than my 18s (225/40/18) and handle a lot better, but don't have as low profile of a sidewall. They still look great, but the performance is better than any tire I've tried so far, even the Yokohamas adn Pirelli p-zeros. Really, it's personal preference and trial and error...
Old 02-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Yokohama AVS dB
Bridgestone Potenza RE730s
Bridgestone Potenza S0-2s
Bridgestone Potenza S0-3s

sweet *** tires all of them...
Old 02-27-2002, 02:51 AM

Re: Please be more specific about your requests.....

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
As far as 18" tires go chances are you wont find a cheap all-season 18" tire. Plus in 18" size tires really dont do that well in adverse weather. Rain and snow dont like stiff sidewalls and aggressive summer tread design most 18" tires feature. If you want a quiet comfortable tire I'd look at the Yokohama AVS DB's that you mentioned. But if price is not an option and you're looking for an "all-season" tire with a nice quiet ride and good treadwear check out the Michelin Sport A/S (all-season). Be warned they're a very expensive tire at $240+ each. But they do offer 9/10 ths of the sporty characteristics of the full blown sport tires and still have a treadwear rating of 400. Another suggestion would be Bridgestone Potenza RE 730. In 18" they're about $170+ per tire so they're still pretty expensive. I've driven on these tires in 17" (235/45/17) and I loved it. They grip really well have good treadwear rating (300) and they're pretty quiet on the road for a sport tire. This is in contrast to my current tires (BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDW 235/45/17) which are pretty loud but grip the road like glue.

I bought Sumitom HTR+'s for $131 a piece in 235/40WR18. If you labelled them Michelin you'd say these are cool looking tires. Hey, my car is seriously not a Porsche Carerra 4 so I simply CANNOT justify spending over $245 for the Pilot Sport A/S. I searched the web for info on Sumitomo and on other forums they said they were good tires with a low price because they want to get their foots in the door. Like anything else, if they gained demand, that $131 price would be history. We're driving Maximas with FWD and non-independent rear suspensions. A 168 mph WR rated tire will more than suffice. What I didn't like about the Yoko AVS db is they didn't get the AA traction rating, the treadwear is only 320 (Sumitomo is 360 and Michelin 400), and their load rating is not shown on the service bulletin.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep in mind that the treadwear rating is not consistent across manufacturers. A Brand X tire will not necessarily wear as long as a Brand Y tire even if they have the same treadwear rating. Within the same mfr, treadwear ratings are useful.

FWIW, I've been running Dunlop SP5000's on my 16" wheels and they are a very good all season tire. I will proabably replace them with the same tires when the time comes.

Jim
Old 02-27-2002, 06:27 AM

Re: Re: Please be more specific about your requests.....

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I bought Sumitom HTR+'s for $131 a piece in 235/40WR18. If you labelled them Michelin you'd say these are cool looking tires. Hey, my car is seriously not a Porsche Carerra 4 so I simply CANNOT justify spending over $245 for the Pilot Sport A/S. I searched the web for info on Sumitomo and on other forums they said they were good tires with a low price because they want to get their foots in the door. Like anything else, if they gained demand, that $131 price would be history. We're driving Maximas with FWD and non-independent rear suspensions. A 168 mph WR rated tire will more than suffice. What I didn't like about the Yoko AVS db is they didn't get the AA traction rating, the treadwear is only 320 (Sumitomo is 360 and Michelin 400), and their load rating is not shown on the service bulletin.
Frank some really awesome info there. My only concern would be the snow and noise rating for these tires. Care to comment?

JJW95SC I took a a look at the Dunlops but apparently they are not made in 18" size. They do however have better snow traction than the Yokohamas.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:38 AM

Got some more info about the Yokohama AVS dB 235/40WR18

Max Load:1356, Max inflation pressure: 44, Tread Depth: 11/32, Rim Width range (should be perfect for 18 X 8) 8-9.5", Meas Rim Width: 8.5, Sect width: 9.5, Tread Width: 9.5, Overall Diameter: 25.3, Revs per mile: 820

This should give the tires that flat look along the sidewall right?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:05 PM

FWIW, I've been running Dunlop SP5000's on my 16" wheels and they are a very good all season tire. I will proabably replace them with the same tires when the time comes.

Jim [/B][/QUOTE]

Can you still buy Dunlop SP5000's - I can't find them - do they have a new name??
Old 02-27-2002, 03:56 PM

Just ordered the TSW Revos silver w silver center caps 18X8 and the Yokohama AVS DB 235/40/18 balanced shipped with locking bolts etc for $1450 shipped.

I know there are better tires out there but snow is a definite problem here. I talked to a few dealers locally and they advised me that high performance tires can be ordered but not recommended do to the virtual 0 control I would get when the snow hits here.

Revos where pretty cheap about $175 Looking back I probably could have bargained for another $50 but no biggie.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-27-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
Keep in mind that the treadwear rating is not consistent across manufacturers. A Brand X tire will not necessarily wear as long as a Brand Y tire even if they have the same treadwear rating. Within the same mfr, treadwear ratings are useful.

Jim
Ah but I beg to differ. That's the whole purpose of the UTQG grading system, "uniform" and controlled on a govt. course. One tire has a treadwear of 300, another 400, the 400 lasts 33% longer on the govt. test course. Where it differs is you buy the 300 and they last 40k, I buy the 400 and they last maybe 38k because our driving habits are different and the roads we take are also different. But the entire purpose of the treadwear is to be able to compare, like 27 MPG highway. With the highest traction rating being AA these days, I don't feel like settling for just A, but that's just my opinion. Truthfully HR tires are good enough for the Maxima, WR is overkill but what the hey it's cheap.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Ah but I beg to differ. That's the whole purpose of the UTQG grading system, "uniform" and controlled on a govt. course. One tire has a treadwear of 300, another 400, the 400 lasts 33% longer on the govt. test course. Where it differs is you buy the 300 and they last 40k, I buy the 400 and they last maybe 38k because our driving habits are different and the roads we take are also different. But the entire purpose of the treadwear is to be able to compare, like 27 MPG highway. With the highest traction rating being AA these days, I don't feel like settling for just A, but that's just my opinion. Truthfully HR tires are good enough for the Maxima, WR is overkill but what the hey it's cheap.
I agree with JJW95SC. Taken from tirerack.com:
The Department of Transportation requires each manufacturer to grade its tires under the Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) labeling system and establish ratings for treadwear, traction, and temperature resistance. These tests are conducted independently by each manufacturer following government guidelines to assign values that represent a comparison between the tested tire and a control tire. While traction and temperature resistance ratings are specific performance levels, the treadwear ratings are assigned by the manufacturers following field testing and are most accurate when comparing tires of the same brand.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Ravq

I agree with JJW95SC. Taken from tirerack.com:
The Department of Transportation requires each manufacturer to grade its tires under the Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) labeling system and establish ratings for treadwear, traction, and temperature resistance. These tests are conducted independently by each manufacturer following government guidelines to assign values that represent a comparison between the tested tire and a control tire. While traction and temperature resistance ratings are specific performance levels, the treadwear ratings are assigned by the manufacturers following field testing and are most accurate when comparing tires of the same brand.
The Tire Rack knows what they're doing, after all, they've been around at least 10-15 years before most people on this forum were even born. But if it's mfg. centric, then you don't even really know if a tire is WR, YR, HR, VR, etc. Why not say my tire is WR at $131 when really it's only good to 149? Or maybe it's unknown, we just know it drove at 135 for 40 minutes before the belts shifted and it blew out. Slap it with a 91W service description regardless.

If a Pilot A/S is 400 and a Sumitomo is 360, I feel pretty confident that the Pilot is gonna last longer under controlled conditions. But I see your point.