General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Holy crap...nitrous is fun >=)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Holy crap...nitrous is fun >=)

Before today, I couldn't get my fuel pressure to go above 50psi with the nitrous system activated. I tried smaller bypass jets, but the fuel pressure still wouldn't go above 50psi (in fact, fuel pressure would jump up to 50psi and then slowly drop as my RPMs increased). It was really strange. Anyway, the problem wasn't leaky vacuum lines or low bottle pressure...it turned out to be a VERY bad fuel pump (80K miles). We installed a Walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump today and all my troubles went away!!! Thanks to everyone who helped me and also replied to my posts regarding my fuel pressure problem!!

We didn't have time to tune the system yet, but the couple nitrous test runs that we did (with four people in the car) were pretty damn cool. When I first sprayed, we were going up a hill and the tires immediately broke loose and I had a big smile on my face sorta like this The next couple of runs were on long stretches of road and the car kept pulling and pulling and pulling...It's amazing.

Anyway, I'll try to restrain myself from turning on the bottle until after we fine tune the system this weekend (bypass jet & fuel pressure safety switch) and perhaps install the Sard FPR (now with the Walbro, off-the-bottle idle is 38psi and off-the-bottle WOT is 50psi).

A few questions though...for a .042 nitrous jet (80 shot), I should DEFINITELY be running one-step colder plugs, right? Also, how much should I decrease the gap by (in addition to nitrous, I have y-pipe, CAI, RT cat, exhaust, and UDP)? Do you actually gain performance by decreasing the gap?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:03 AM

Re: Holy crap...nitrous is fun >=)

thats wrong man.. boosting without me
i'm going next time
Old 03-01-2002, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
Before today, I couldn't get my fuel pressure to go above 50psi with the nitrous system activated. I tried smaller bypass jets, but the fuel pressure still wouldn't go above 50psi (in fact, fuel pressure would jump up to 50psi and then slowly drop as my RPMs increased). It was really strange. Anyway, the problem wasn't leaky vacuum lines or low bottle pressure...it turned out to be a VERY bad fuel pump (80K miles). We installed a Walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump today and all my troubles went away!!! Thanks to everyone who helped me and also replied to my posts regarding my fuel pressure problem!!

We didn't have time to tune the system yet, but the couple nitrous test runs that we did (with four people in the car) were pretty damn cool. When I first sprayed, we were going up a hill and the tires immediately broke loose and I had a big smile on my face sorta like this The next couple of runs were on long stretches of road and the car kept pulling and pulling and pulling...It's amazing.

Anyway, I'll try to restrain myself from turning on the bottle until after we fine tune the system this weekend (bypass jet & fuel pressure safety switch) and perhaps install the Sard FPR (now with the Walbro, off-the-bottle idle is 38psi and off-the-bottle WOT is 50psi).

A few questions though...for a .042 nitrous jet (80 shot), I should DEFINITELY be running one-step colder plugs, right? Also, how much should I decrease the gap by (in addition to nitrous, I have y-pipe, CAI, RT cat, exhaust, and UDP)? Do you actually gain performance by decreasing the gap?
yeah get some NGK Copper plugs 1 step colder BKR6E ? i can't remember i a typing it from memory... .38 gap is good.. do a search for colder plugs and MardigrasMax as your poster or plugs any combination like that.. you will definately get your answer
Old 03-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Glad you got everything to work. Good thing you found out about the fuel pump problem now. You could have lost the motor on that one. Let this be lesson to rest of the nitrous guys without a fuel pressure gauge. The two most important tuning tools are the fuel pressure gauge and nitrous pressure gauge. As for the gap, try .035" or .032". I was running stock gap .044" and had tons of problem when I was doing 100 shot.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Glad you got everything to work. Good thing you found out about the fuel pump problem now. You could have lost the motor on that one. Let this be lesson to rest of the nitrous guys without a fuel pressure gauge. The two most important tuning tools are the fuel pressure gauge and nitrous pressure gauge. As for the gap, try .035" or .032". I was running stock gap .044" and had tons of problem when I was doing 100 shot.
Yeah, you are right about how a fuel pressure gauge is VERY IMPORTANT for nitrous users. I keep on reading how one can definitely do without a fuel pressure gauge and run a 50shot or so just fine. WRONG. Take me for example. My stock pump couldn't go above 50psi let alone hold the pressure for several seconds...
Old 03-01-2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by CalsonicSE

Yeah they used that when I got my wisdom teeth out
Old 03-01-2002, 10:37 AM

Juice is good!

BKR6E-11 is one step factory gap, which should be ok on 75shot

BKR6E is one step ~0.038" gap, which will work ok also.

If you ever think you will want to do a 100hp shot get the 0.038"
Old 03-01-2002, 01:16 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of Nitrous...
Old 03-01-2002, 01:46 PM

I still can't get my Fuel Pressure to go UNDER 85psi with my walbro pump....even with a .82 bypass jet....still 85psi...so I can't run anthing less than a 100 shot without running REALLY rich....I think my motor is messed up too...
Old 03-01-2002, 03:53 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Congrats Jeff! yay!

now you're faster than matthel.

HAHAHAH cuz he can't drive his car past 4k.
hahahahah
Old 03-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Check your return line on your fuel pressure regulator.

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I still can't get my Fuel Pressure to go UNDER 85psi with my walbro pump....even with a .82 bypass jet....still 85psi...so I can't run anthing less than a 100 shot without running REALLY rich....I think my motor is messed up too...