General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Rattles help, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 10:05 AM

Rattles help, need advice

Alright this one has been driving me nuts. I have 2 rattles that I cannot seem to find or get rid of. One is localized to the rear area of the trunk. It sounds like metallic sheet metal rattling. This is what I have done so far. Removed the muffler heat shield cause I thought it was that. Removed all stereo equipment in the rear trunk except the back speakers. Removed the jack, spare tire, spare tire cover and anything else that may cause rattling. Today, I removed the back seat, and the piece of sheet metal around the back seat, yet the rattle persists.

Tested the muffler n exhaust by moving it around, making sure it will not contact anything.

I have a feeling it may be the trunk lid itself rattling. But if anybody else had this problem please let me know what it was. My next step is to have somebody else drive my car while I crawl around the back trunk and hopefully find out wth is rattling. Its driving me absolutely nuts.

Now, for the second rattle, it sounds like its coming from beneath where the ashtray is (i have a headunt in there now). It sounds like a loose screw. I went as far as taking apart the stereo assembly to check for loose nuts but no cigar. I guess once again, I'll make somebody else drive the car while I can put my head down there to see what is making the noise. Help!
Old 03-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Re: Rattles help, need advice

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright this one has been driving me nuts. I have 2 rattles that I cannot seem to find or get rid of. One is localized to the rear area of the trunk. It sounds like metallic sheet metal rattling. This is what I have done so far. Removed the muffler heat shield cause I thought it was that. Removed all stereo equipment in the rear trunk except the back speakers. Removed the jack, spare tire, spare tire cover and anything else that may cause rattling. Today, I removed the back seat, and the piece of sheet metal around the back seat, yet the rattle persists.

Tested the muffler n exhaust by moving it around, making sure it will not contact anything.

I have a feeling it may be the trunk lid itself rattling. But if anybody else had this problem please let me know what it was. My next step is to have somebody else drive my car while I crawl around the back trunk and hopefully find out wth is rattling. Its driving me absolutely nuts.

Now, for the second rattle, it sounds like its coming from beneath where the ashtray is (i have a headunt in there now). It sounds like a loose screw. I went as far as taking apart the stereo assembly to check for loose nuts but no cigar. I guess once again, I'll make somebody else drive the car while I can put my head down there to see what is making the noise. Help!
ive had the exact problem for the past 2yrs, lol. My boy one night stuck his head in the trunk and told me it was the actual trunk lid makin the noise. Maybe some extra foam around the edges of the lid might help.

ive learned to deal with it :/

Ant
Old 03-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Administrator

its ither your new spoiler that you had installed or the letters on the trunk(if you have any) i will bet you anything its that new spoiler..
Old 03-02-2002, 04:27 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by SprintMax
its ither your new spoiler that you had installed or the letters on the trunk(if you have any) i will bet you anything its that new spoiler..
if your license plate only has two screws everytime your bass hits or when you hit a tiny bump ..that could be the source of your rattle ..
Old 03-02-2002, 05:03 PM

Hehe, I guess I forgot to mention, I do NOT have a different spoiler on the car. Although my spoiler is not the original one from the car, it is an OEM replacement. I am pretty sure it is not rattling. I hear the rattling noise as I am driving down the road INSIDE the car, NOT outside the car while blasting bass. Odd part is, if I open the trunk and bang on the trunk lid with my hand, it doesnt rattle too much. Maybe because it is vertical. Infact, I turn up the music just so that it will drown out the noise. I may be closer to the source, I removed the trunk liner, and the rattling seemed to have gotten worse.

Tonight, I am going to resort to the extreme. I am going to get my friend to drive my car, while I crawl arouond the trunk until I can pin point and finally silence the noise thas been driving me *****.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

check conrad's response above yours.. i had that problem with my 89 accord..

Originally posted by ericdwong
Hehe, I guess I forgot to mention, I do NOT have a different spoiler on the car. Although my spoiler is not the original one from the car, it is an OEM replacement. I am pretty sure it is not rattling. I hear the rattling noise as I am driving down the road INSIDE the car, NOT outside the car while blasting bass. Odd part is, if I open the trunk and bang on the trunk lid with my hand, it doesnt rattle too much. Maybe because it is vertical. Infact, I turn up the music just so that it will drown out the noise. I may be closer to the source, I removed the trunk liner, and the rattling seemed to have gotten worse.

Tonight, I am going to resort to the extreme. I am going to get my friend to drive my car, while I crawl arouond the trunk until I can pin point and finally silence the noise thas been driving me *****.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:20 PM

Oh ya, well regarding the license tag, Its held in by 4 screws, and its got rubberized weather stripping behind it to ensure it, nor the bolts that may contact the metal bumper are touching, so I'm pretty sure its not the license tag. I can pound on the tag with my hand, or turn the bass up and it doesnt rattle. Also, the tag is in the bumper, not on the trunk lid so it would probbly be heard more outside the car then inside.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:38 PM

It's too cold to verify this, but I'm going to guess.

If you take out the carpet trim that is clipped on to the inside of the trunk, look and see if there is any looseness between the trunk lid frame and the sheet metal panel. On most cars, I've seen a type of rubberized glue used to prevent rattle and if the glue gives, the sheet metal panel is free to rattle and hit the trunk lid frame.

Sorry if I'm wrong and you actually go through the trouble of checking. Make sure your friend let's you out of the trunk

Gnite.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:11 AM

I havent been able to pin down the noise yet, cause tonight it was just raining like crazy. I have the back seat still removed, so I'll be able to rove about the cabin. I plan to go to a road where it is almost never traveled, to minimize the chance of me getting hurt while crawling around. Its amazing how much road noise you hear with that back seat removed. It is also possible that because my stereo is larger then average, it may have caused something to unsettle and start ratting.

On a side note, when I was at the dealers the other week picking up my motor mount, they had a "squeak and rattle repair kit". It was pretty interesting, they had slabs of foam, polyurethane sheets, various foam covers and other things to try to quiet down the car. I should see if I can get my hands on one of these seeing how my car is full of squeaks and rattles.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:52 AM

someone mention that it was the locking mechanism of the trunk lid...have u checked the two crossbar of the trunk lid??
Old 03-03-2002, 11:21 AM

I have rattling around the passenger side pillar when I drove my
car I can hear it but unable to figure why it rattling. I think
there are quite a Max owners have the same problem.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:38 PM

It is definetly the locking mechanism and/or entire trunk lid. I have this noise too, and I didn't notice it until I had my seats out and was doing my shocks and system. For the past month I was going CRAZY looking for that noise. I thought I had screwed up somewhere when I did my rear suspension. Anybody remember a post a while back asking about the AGX setup? I finally had someone sit in the back with their head in the trunk to find all that noise. It is LOUD with the seats out. In disbelief, I stood outside the car and pushed on the trunk, and there it was. Actually I'm so relieved that it's the trunk and not my springs/shocks. BTW, thanks to anyone that replied to my post. Has anyone figured out a way to fix the latch?
Old 03-19-2002, 04:07 PM

Ooops, I guess I forgot to follow up on this post. I rode in the trunk with it closed with a friend driving and it did it. But, I did alot of listening and it was indeed the license tag. It turns out that when I got hit while my car was parked maybe a month ago, it bent the license tag in far enough to contact the metal bumper. One thing I do have to work on though, is the top 2 bolts of the plate also contact the metal bumper. I cut them down before, but they still do it. I backed them out in the mean time, but I'm gonna glue some rubber in there to make the noise go away.

I also noticed that my trunk lid wasnt shutting completely in line with the body. The tail lights were maybe 1/8" too high. So, I adjusted the height of the latching mechanism and now it shuts perfect. Infact it doesnt rattle as much when it comes to bass either.

As for the rattle up front, I am pretty sure it is the Y pipe flex section that is busted rattling.

However my dash still rattles, but they arent nearly as bad as the licnese plate and the Y pipe.

Thanks for all your help.