General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ME Variable Intake Manifold Part # ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ME Variable Intake Manifold Part # ??

What's the part number for this thing. Roadbeast says he can't get it. Surely it's on one of the ones that has been shipped over. Anybody????
Old 03-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Re: ME Variable Intake Manifold Part # ??

Originally posted by BSwithTF
What's the part number for this thing. Roadbeast says he can't get it. Surely it's on one of the ones that has been shipped over. Anybody????
he says he can't get it because he doesn't want you buying elsewhere..
Old 03-04-2002, 12:38 PM

I REALLY hope that's not the case.

If he only has a couple left, how are the rest of us going to get a hold of one? We are going to have to find another place to purchase them.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Re: I REALLY hope that's not the case.

If he only has a couple left, how are the rest of us going to get a hold of one? We are going to have to find another place to purchase them.
NZ has lots of junk yards.. if you are really in need you can find them no problems.. but he wants to run a monopoly so he isn't going to give you any leads on them.. who knows how much they really cost and the cut he is getting on them..
Old 03-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: I REALLY hope that's not the case.

BSwithTF sorry to go off-topic, but, I just noticed your 1/4 mile time and was curious to know what your 60' time was? As well what PSI were your front tires set at? I ran 15.267 @ 91.217 MPH, with a 2.346 second 60' time, with a PR CAI only, and was interested to see how our times compared.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

To keep going off topic...

I ran a 15.27 @ 89.11 with a 2.27 60' time and 25 psi in the front tires...

...OSCAI w/K&N panel filter.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:01 PM

If I can get a blue print of the intake I know of a performance shop that would make one to see if it would work.
Then we would not have to worry about him.
Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
To keep going off topic...

I ran a 15.27 @ 89.11 with a 2.27 60' time and 25 psi in the front tires...

...OSCAI w/K&N panel filter.
That's a great 60' time. What resistance was your dropping resistor set at? Was it left at ~12 ohms?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:10 PM

That would be really cool.

Originally posted by mark w chrzanow
If I can get a blue print of the intake I know of a performance shop that would make one to see if it would work.
Then we would not have to worry about him.
Just a thought.
I want to try to get a hold of a factory one but an aftermarket one might be even better. Courtesy Nissan says they can get them if we can get them a part #.

Supermachoman: I think I ran a 2.3?? 60 ft. as well. I was running on 17" Enkei RS6's with 35 psi in them. Next time at the track I'm putting my stock wheels on so I can try to get it lower. I really need to work on my launch. I spin clear through 1st and part way into 2nd.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Supermachoman

That's a great 60' time. What resistance was your dropping resistor set at? Was it left at ~12 ohms?
Stock...

I'm not convinced cutting it out makes a difference.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:33 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Of course he wants to make money off of this, can you blame him?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by mtrai760
Of course he wants to make money off of this, can you blame him?
don't roll your eyes off me matt... there is a diff of making money and makign a killing i know he won't tell us anything and he gets defensive when someone points about getting it else where.. so i am curious if he is making money? or he is making a killing
Old 03-04-2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
don't roll your eyes off me matt... there is a diff of making money and makign a killing i know he won't tell us anything and he gets defensive when someone points about getting it else where.. so i am curious if he is making money? or he is making a killing
I killing, I would bet money on it
Old 03-04-2002, 01:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

And if he is making a killing?
If people thought it was too pricey, they wouldn't buy it, pretty simple.

Old 03-04-2002, 01:54 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I agree with you, don't take me wrong, he is most likely making a killing. I was just commenting on his situation, not putting you down. If he and his mechanic just have some 'laying around' then yes, he is making a LOT of money by selling these. Someone who has the intake here needs to look for the part number though. He has no incentive to give it to anyone here, if he did, then no one here would need his help. He has found a useful product and made 'friends' here because of it, I'm sure that is whats most important to him, being accepted. Has anyone asked Mardi for the part #? Theres a good place to start. Didn't you say they had the same part in NZ? If Ethan got headers and a Y-pipe from there then we could surely get intake manifolds. There was someone on this board for a while from NZ, don't remember his SN though...

Old 03-04-2002, 01:58 PM

Well , it is THE 4th gen mod bar none and it is extremely limited in availabily. He's exploiting an opportunity. I'm sure he's taking advantage, but I hope not too much b/c he's a fellow Maxima fan.

We should try to remember that he was a max fan before all this and he just fell onto a gold mine.

DW
Old 03-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Administrator

matt - that guy from NZ hasn't posted in a while.. i think he got rid of his Max..

jeff - ppl buy G-Force ECU's everyday.. people buy tornado intakes, people buy 500 greddy catbacks for performance.. it really doesn't matter what people perceive as expensive.. however if its cheaper.. i would be interested to know.. thats all ..
Old 03-04-2002, 02:14 PM
SLOW

His name was NZ Max... I haven't seen him post in a few months though. He had a really nice lookin car though. Anyone know anyone in New Zealand. BTW I wonder what other countries have these, I'm positive its not just NZ and Bahrain. Those two tiny a$s countries certianly don't have a large enough market to justify a totally different intake system IMHO.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:19 PM

I think NZ max got rid of his Max for this older much more powerful 4 door sedan. I think its only available in his country or something like that.

I think UK has the variable intake in its 4th gens as well.

DW
Old 03-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

FYI NZ Max had a VQ25 in his car.

Also, maybe the place that makes headers for the VQ could hook us up with VI manifolds. They seemed to be a good place with which to do business.

www.prestigeautomotive.co.nz
Old 03-04-2002, 02:50 PM

I've e-mailed a couple people.

Originally posted by mtrai760
I agree with you, don't take me wrong, he is most likely making a killing. I was just commenting on his situation, not putting you down. If he and his mechanic just have some 'laying around' then yes, he is making a LOT of money by selling these. Someone who has the intake here needs to look for the part number though. He has no incentive to give it to anyone here, if he did, then no one here would need his help. He has found a useful product and made 'friends' here because of it, I'm sure that is whats most important to him, being accepted. Has anyone asked Mardi for the part #? Theres a good place to start. Didn't you say they had the same part in NZ? If Ethan got headers and a Y-pipe from there then we could surely get intake manifolds. There was someone on this board for a while from NZ, don't remember his SN though...

I sent mardigrasmax, coolkids1979, and yo_its_ok an e-mail about the part number. Hogan said he'd see what he could do, but I hear he's got bigger things on his mind right now. I haven't heard from mardigrasmax or coolkids1979 though so maybe they can come up with something.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: ME Variable Intake Manifold Part # ??

Try using www.car-part.com, I found at least 20 2000+ VQs for sale. There are even some with core engines that can be parted out. If that doesn't work just price the upper and lower IM from nissan. You can get actuators/soleniods from a junkyard off another car.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:48 PM

Re: I've e-mailed a couple people.

I sent mardigrasmax, coolkids1979, and yo_its_ok an e-mail about the part number. Hogan said he'd see what he could do, but I hear he's got bigger things on his mind right now. I haven't heard from mardigrasmax or coolkids1979 though so maybe they can come up with something.
I think once upon a time Roadbeast said the numbers were not on the parts and that they scratched them off the recipt on him But who knows, maybe someone can come through and find them. I tried once a while back calling around dealerships and stuff but didnt get anywhere.

SuDZ
Old 03-04-2002, 04:45 PM

Well I can tell you guys that I havent found a part number on the intake anywhere? I can also tell you that I emailed at least a dozen junk yards in New Zealand and no one had a single one, and I did this way back in the day, when the VI first came to light.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:56 PM

Found IT!

I found one from NZ...Shipped for about $350 USD.

More information will come when I get it.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, however. I asked for a Variable Intake, but I'm not sure exactly what this part looks like. He said this came with a vacuum canister and butterflies.

If someone can clarify everything for me, I can tell my buddy in NZ exactly what I need.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 03-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Re: Found IT!

Originally posted by iansw

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, however. I asked for a Variable Intake, but I'm not sure exactly what this part looks like. He said this came with a vacuum canister and butterflies.

If someone can clarify everything for me, I can tell my buddy in NZ exactly what I need.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 03-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks!
IanS

Ian make sure its from a 3.0L 98 - 99 Maxima .. or you will be getting the wrong part
Old 03-04-2002, 07:18 PM

You want the upper variable intake manifold from a VQ30DE engine . . . .NOT the VQ25DE.

DW

Thanks!
IanS
Old 03-04-2002, 07:21 PM

OK....So is it the 2.5L or 3L Engine?

I simply said "Do you have any of the 1997-1999 (not knowing it had to be 98 or 99) Variable Intakes from a Nissan Maxima made in NZ."

He answered with "
The Variable intake part is called a Collector (Center of Picture), it bolts onto the Manifold (top left of Picture). The Manifold itself the same for all 3.0L Maximas"

Here is the pic:

Old 03-04-2002, 08:03 PM

Anyone?
Old 03-04-2002, 08:04 PM

Justing keeping updated on this thread

I want to get this sucker too.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Administrator

you want to make sure it has 38U on it.. and not 35U
Old 03-04-2002, 08:20 PM

you want to make sure it has 38U on it.. and not 35U
I don't see any of those numbers....35U OR 38U on the pic.

MardiGras...help us out here, man!
Old 03-04-2002, 08:36 PM

I spoke to the guy again.

he says he has already done quite a bit of research on this, and deals with Maximas extensively.

he says this IS the right part, and that he has been told (after researching) that this would not work because of the ECU's being different.

MardiGras, how did you get around this?

he stated that it is the VQ30DE Engine this will come off of.

MardisGras said "2.5L". Did he get his from a 2.5L????

IanS
Old 03-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Administrator

ask them whas carved on the intake.. thas the only way to tell
Old 03-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Keven97SE

This page is confusing. The 3L collector should have oval runners right where it mates up to the lower intake manifold piece. While this picture shows oval lower intake runners (good), it appears to show round runners on the gasket (bad). The 2.5L motor used round runners.

Bottom line is that you need to have the shop in NZ verify that the collector was from a 3.0L motor. There should be a stamping on the collector somewhere that says 38U. You DO NOT want 35U (2.5L).

If you can verify, please let us all know your contact. I am interested in talking to them if they can get ahold of another unit.

OK....So is it the 2.5L or 3L Engine?

I simply said "Do you have any of the 1997-1999 (not knowing it had to be 98 or 99) Variable Intakes from a Nissan Maxima made in NZ."

He answered with "
The Variable intake part is called a Collector (Center of Picture), it bolts onto the Manifold (top left of Picture). The Manifold itself the same for all 3.0L Maximas"

Here is the pic:

Old 03-04-2002, 08:43 PM

I don't see any of those numbers....35U OR 38U on the pic.

MardiGras...help us out here, man!

i think the "38U" was stamped on the intake by the factory. this is the "collector" that will fit. the "collector" stamped "35U" has a different shape to the intake runners and will not match our manifold.

in the diagram you posted, i do not see the vacuum cannister and butterfly - are these separate parts?? or better yet, are they in the diagram?? this is may be the best $$ for $$ performance part we could add to the 4th generation (provided the $350 shipped price is correct). i am definitely interested if a supplier can be found.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
This page is confusing. The 3L collector should have oval runners right where it mates up to the lower intake manifold piece. While this picture shows oval lower intake runners (good), it appears to show round runners on the gasket (bad). The 2.5L motor used round runners.

Bottom line is that you need to have the shop in NZ verify that the collector was from a 3.0L motor. There should be a stamping on the collector somewhere that says 38U. You DO NOT want 35U (2.5L).

If you can verify, please let us all know your contact. I am interested in talking to them if they can get ahold of another unit.

if you read my previous post, you will see I already verified with him that it was a VQ30DE.

SO is this the right one?

I need to know what steps to take to get this working, order mine, and then I will open the floodgates and tell everyone who to contact.

So the more you help me out, the faster you all get it.

IanS
Old 03-04-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by WoPhatMax

i think the "38U" was stamped on the intake by the factory. this is the "collector" that will fit. the "collector" stamped "35U" has a different shape to the intake runners and will not match our manifold.

in the diagram you posted, i do not see the vacuum cannister and butterfly - are these separate parts?? or better yet, are they in the diagram?? this is may be the best $$ for $$ performance part we could add to the 4th generation (provided the $350 shipped price is correct). i am definitely interested if a supplier can be found.
As soon as someone opens this up to the US market for a decent price, these things are going to fly off the shelves.... Dang, I need to fly over seas LOL
Old 03-04-2002, 08:46 PM

if you read my previous post, you will see I already verified with him that it was a VQ30DE.

SO is this the right one?

I need to know what steps to take to get this working, order mine, and then I will open the floodgates and tell everyone who to contact.

So the more you help me out, the faster you all get it.

IanS
O hyeah, he already said the $350 INCLUDES butterflys and vaccum canister.

Now what is the RPM switch about, and how do we get it to work with our ECU's???

Quick Reply: ME Variable Intake Manifold Part # ??