General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

time to do the brakes, and yes I did use search!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 01:21 PM

time to do the brakes, and yes I did use search!

And...THE WINNER IS........ :-)

I can't wait to give it a try. I didn't realize our calipers only had a piston on one side, Nissan must have saved a fortune on these calipers. Actually I helped my buddy on his 1985 a long time ago and I didn't even think of it--I believe his caliper is the same if not similar.

Based on what people said I am not planning on turning the rotors as I have zero pulsation yet and there is still pad left. Hopefully it will go off without a hitch. It's nice to be able to save, still using original parts and have it all done as opposed to the dealer and their coupons coming in at $140 and then who knows what else they're gonna want to add!!

Who needs Chilton's or Haynes when we've got motorvate! Thanks man!
Old 03-04-2002, 02:10 PM
pmg

Yeah, it's crazy to let someone else do the brakes. I replaced the pads for the first time (they were still ok believe it or not) at 92,000 miles and the rotors were still well within spec and have never been turned. Pick up a micrometer and compare the rotors to the spec in Chilton's and you can figure how many mile you have left on them.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by pmg
Yeah, it's crazy to let someone else do the brakes. I replaced the pads for the first time (they were still ok believe it or not) at 92,000 miles and the rotors were still well within spec and have never been turned. Pick up a micrometer and compare the rotors to the spec in Chilton's and you can figure how many mile you have left on them.
Yowsa, and I thought me having about 60k on the original pads is pretty good. Sounds like the OEM's last a long time.

I definitely want to just replace them now, what the heck, they're only about $46 plus $16 for the kit, not gonna save much by waiting. Not sure when the backs will be due for replacement but they're much fatter than the fronts. The Nissan rotors would be $63 a piece so I'd probably just replace before turning them, they look easy to take off anyway. Still, it's surprising how after the 2 14mm bolts are undone the entire caliper comes apart, in 1/2. Must be the lonely little piston that could!
Old 03-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FYI: If you do the rear brakes you don't compress the calipers. They rotate in, took me over an hour to realize this. Do another search if you want to do the rears.