General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Car adjustments for the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car adjustments for the track

I've posted decent times, but hopefully when I go to the track on March 22nd I can pull some really good times There's been numerous threads on track settings for your car, but I thought about a few that I've never really seen mentioned.

1) Tire pressure: Normally I see 29 or so recommended
2) Shocks: I'm assuming full hard is the best, but I have nothing to base this on other than the fact that it would help reduce weight shift in the rear and wheel hop in the front.
3) In between runs: I usually try not to run back to back too much to avoid overheating my clutch, but how long do you usually let your car cool.

That's all I can think of for now.
-hype
Old 03-04-2002, 09:11 PM

I remove all the loose gear from my car to lighten ship before I go to the track. That means the spare tire, jack, subwoofer, CDs, etc.
I ensure I have no more than a 1/4-tank of gas.

I mount my 205/15/50 BFG drag radials on the front, inflated to 24psi.
I inflate the rear tires to 44psi.

I remove the fuse to my A/C. When I turn on the A/C, the fans run, but the compressor does not. It dumps heat out of the engine better. Don't forget to turn the A/C off before you run!

Between runs, I leave the hood up, and I lay Ziplock bags full of ice on my intake manifold to cool it off.

I "burp" the gas tank between runs.

I do not run through the water at the start.

I do a very brief burn-out to remove debris from the tires.

I go on the 3rd light, and drive it like I rented it through the 1/4.

I let it cool down for 30 minutes or so between runs most of the time. Sometimes, when there are not many people there, I run as often as I can as long as my times are getting better with each run.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:55 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rumor has it that taking out your seats will help you a lot.

With street tires I lowered the front pressure to 19psi. I would take all that crap that I could out of the car. Tighten the suspension as much as you can (if its adjustable).

I usually just get into line to race again once I've finished. Depending on the night that could be anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. I have used ice on the intake manifold, but I don't know how much good that did.

Bullseye - You don't run the AC while you're actcually racing, do you?
Old 03-05-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875
Rumor has it that taking out your seats will help you a lot.

With street tires I lowered the front pressure to 19psi. I would take all that crap that I could out of the car. Tighten the suspension as much as you can (if its adjustable).

I usually just get into line to race again once I've finished. Depending on the night that could be anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. I have used ice on the intake manifold, but I don't know how much good that did.

Bullseye - You don't run the AC while you're actcually racing, do you?
I only run with the A/C on when I forget to turn the d@mn thing off! I get really excited when I approach the line, which leads to tunnel vision. If I am not methodical in my approach, I forget to do stuff. I try to use the same routine everytime, just like when I'm golfing, shooting free throws, or brushing my teeth--- just so I won't forget something important. That said, I've run with my windows down, the sunroof open, the hood shut only 1/2-way, or two bags of ice on my intake manifold! I can be a real dum@ss at times...
Old 03-05-2002, 09:35 PM
Conecarver

Originally posted by bullseye
I remove the fuse to my A/C. When I turn on the A/C, the fans run, but the compressor does not. It dumps heat out of the engine better. Don't forget to turn the A/C off before you run!

Thanks for the A/C tip! I heard something similar about spraying water into the front while running the condensor but your's sounds easier.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by bullseye

I only run with the A/C on when I forget to turn the d@mn thing off! I get really excited when I approach the line, which leads to tunnel vision. If I am not methodical in my approach, I forget to do stuff. I try to use the same routine everytime, just like when I'm golfing, shooting free throws, or brushing my teeth--- just so I won't forget something important. That said, I've run with my windows down, the sunroof open, the hood shut only 1/2-way, or two bags of ice on my intake manifold! I can be a real dum@ss at times...
Thanks Bullseye, I was looking for the A/C trick you use. I am glad to see someone else with the same forgetful attributes that I have. You are right though on doing the same thing everytime and doing it at the same time. Its just that there are too many things to remember when you are a bit excited.
1. Turn A/C off
2. Drop Resistor Switch
3. Arm Spray
4. Switch from 1 to D after Burnout (thats what I do not everyone)
5. Watch your staging lights not the other guys
6. Readjust tire pressure
7. Windows up
8. Pants on (no shorts allowed)
9. Hood closed
10. Go when light turns green

PS Bullseye, what does burping the gas tank do? Other than the obvious of relieving pressure, does it not just build up again as soon as you start the engine?
Old 05-14-2002, 06:10 PM

don't forget to make sure your maintenance is up to date,

good coolant
fresh oil
clean air filter
good spark plugs
etc,
Old 05-14-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by theMax

good coolant
Hm...I done all my maintenance stuff except for the coolant. How important is this? I don't think it will make any different at the track though right?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Jime

Thanks Bullseye, I was looking for the A/C trick you use. I am glad to see someone else with the same forgetful attributes that I have. You are right though on doing the same thing everytime and doing it at the same time. Its just that there are too many things to remember when you are a bit excited.
1. Turn A/C off
2. Drop Resistor Switch
3. Arm Spray
4. Switch from 1 to D after Burnout (thats what I do not everyone)
5. Watch your staging lights not the other guys
6. Readjust tire pressure
7. Windows up
8. Pants on (no shorts allowed)
9. Hood closed
10. Go when light turns green

PS Bullseye, what does burping the gas tank do? Other than the obvious of relieving pressure, does it not just build up again as soon as you start the engine?
Someone told me the fuel pump doesn't have to work as hard if you burp the tank [loosen the cap, release pressure, tighten cap] between runs. Maybe this is more of a factor for carburated engines? I do it anyway. It can't hurt, right? Plus, this action usually does *not* go unnoticed. It mesmerizes the newbies something fierce...!