General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 08:13 AM

indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

I just ordered some indiglow gauges and i was wondering why they didnt wire the gauges into to dimmer switch so that the factory dimmer would dim the indiglow... I.E. instead of getting power from the dimmer BULB get power from the dimmer contol. This way you could just turn the dimmer that came with the gauges all the way up and use the dimmer on the factory to contol the voltage sent to the gauges.

Is there a reason this wont work?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:25 AM

Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

Originally posted by grunge
I just ordered some indiglow gauges and i was wondering why they didnt wire the gauges into to dimmer switch so that the factory dimmer would dim the indiglow... I.E. instead of getting power from the dimmer BULB get power from the dimmer contol. This way you could just turn the dimmer that came with the gauges all the way up and use the dimmer on the factory to contol the voltage sent to the gauges.

Is there a reason this wont work?
the gauges already come with a "dimmer" control, why would you want another?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

the gauges already come with a "dimmer" control, why would you want another?
Because the dimmer they come with would need to be mounted in order to be accessed. And it would look tacky. Why not just use the one already in the car, I dont see a point to having two dimmers.

I bought the 2 color gauges and am planning on putting it inside teh dash where it is inacessible.

Installing it to the factory switch would be more professional and more effecient.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

Because the dimmer they come with would need to be mounted in order to be accessed. And it would look tacky. Why not just use the one already in the car, I dont see a point to having two dimmers.

I bought the 2 color gauges and am planning on putting it inside teh dash where it is inacessible.

Installing it to the factory switch would be more professional and more effecient.
I understand; some people have mounted the dimmer and color switch under the steering column to have access to it but be out of sight.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

I understand; some people have mounted the dimmer and color switch under the steering column to have access to it but be out of sight.
I dont see why you couldnt just wire it into the dimmer switch iteself... and use that to regulate the voltage.. if thats all the dimmer that comes with the gauges does than that would work.

If however the dimmer that is included is an inverter that will ONLY work with 12v and teh dimmer is after the iversion and does something other than regulate voltage than it wont work.

I am just wondering if it will work off the factory dimmer. Has anyone experimented/ tried this?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

I dont see why you couldnt just wire it into the dimmer switch iteself... and use that to regulate the voltage.. if thats all the dimmer that comes with the gauges does than that would work.

If however the dimmer that is included is an inverter that will ONLY work with 12v and teh dimmer is after the iversion and does something other than regulate voltage than it wont work.

I am just wondering if it will work off the factory dimmer. Has anyone experimented/ tried this?
the included dimmer does look like an inverter and it does come after the inverter. Not sure if does anything more though.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

the included dimmer does look like an inverter and it does come after the inverter. Not sure if does anything more though.
Hmmm... I think ill call www.beingseen.com they have a tech guy there that has worked with el flatlights for quite some time.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: indiglow gauge dimming question - i searched

Hmmm... I think ill call www.beingseen.com they have a tech guy there that has worked with el flatlights for quite some time.
called him, he said that if these gauges are anything like the flatsheet lights he sells (probably are) then yes you can just wire them directly to your dimmer.

but im still interested if anyone has done this.