General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

does it hurt the transmission if you rev in park?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:42 PM

does it hurt the transmission if you rev in park?

?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: does it hurt the transmission if you rev in park?

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
?
Not at all.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:59 PM

same as neutral
Old 03-07-2002, 04:48 PM

uhh but there is a limit tho.

my friend did that to his car and once it reached forgot wat rmp, it has this loud can rattle sound.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:02 PM

my friend did that to his car and once it reached forgot wat rmp, it has this loud can rattle sound.
But you're not adding stress to the tranny when its in neutral. There could be another problem.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Probably just doesn't have a lined exhaust section. Park locks your output shaft to the wheels without engaging it to the input shaft (I skipped a few steps there). Neutral just keeps the car out of gear. It shouldn't make a rattling sound in the tranny just free-revving unless you have a bearing/syncro that's bad, or just loose.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:12 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Man, of course revving in N or park does nothing on the tranny.

But it can put stress on your engine. CAN.

When me and 2 friends were chillin, I got out to talk to some chicks. My friend waddles his @ss into my drivers seat and starts revving my car. I tell him to stop but he wouldn't. He held the f#cking pedal down w/o letting up, thus redlining the Focking car. I heard a loud straining sound coming from my engine and looked over to see my cars needle past the red!

Well I was pretty furious. Smoke poured out of my duals like there was no tommorow. I yelled at his dumb@ss for it. (he is too fat to beat up )

Yes it was a LOUD straining noise, yes it made me feel very bad for my poor car. I am lucky becuase something could of blown if I hadn't of caught his dumb@ss.

Be careful!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

When me and 2 friends were chillin, I got out to talk to some chicks. My friend waddles his @ss into my drivers seat and starts revving my car. I tell him to stop but he wouldn't. He held the f#cking pedal down w/o letting up, thus redlining the Focking car. I heard a loud straining sound coming from my engine and looked over to see my cars needle past the red!

Well I was pretty furious. Smoke poured out of my duals like there was no tommorow. I yelled at his dumb@ss for it. (he is too fat to beat up)

Yes it was a LOUD straining noise, yes it made me feel very bad for my poor car. I am lucky becuase something could of blown if I hadn't of caught his dumb@ss.

Be careful!
What kind of friends do you have? I would have made his a$$ walk.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:24 PM

Well I was pretty furious. Smoke poured out of my duals like there was no tommorow. I yelled at his dumb@ss for it. (he is too fat to beat up )

Be careful!
i think my friend redlined his car too in park.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:28 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

i think my friend redlined his car too in park.
In that case that is really bad for the engine.

Deezo, his @ss woulda had a heart attack

He's cool...just a dumb@ss when it comes to cars!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by deezo
What kind of friends do you have? I would have made his a$$ walk.
What the hell?!?!?!? What kind of idiot is that guy? I'd do more than make him walk. If he owns a car or ever does, I'd find a way to jack his hood open, disconnect the throttle from the return spring and cable, and prop it open with the car off. Then when he starts it up in the morning laugh my *** off knowing his car just self-destructed.....

....yes, I like this idea a lot because of the irony in it.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:31 PM

He's cool...just a dumb@ss when it comes to cars!
Oh, well then DON'T exact horrible horrible revenge!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:43 PM

If you rev your car very high while it is in neutral, it "could" hurt the accessories connected to it. In some cars, that is what the redline serves as, so that you don't kill your accessories.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:56 PM

You guys think your friends are hurting your trannys and engines? Just listen to this...when it snowed in NY here a while ago I was in an empty parking lot doing donuts and tryin to drift and stuff, and my friend who's not a very experienced driver wanted to do it too. I didn't wanna say no so I just sat with him and told him to be careful and not do anything big. Well he floors it in D and then turns the wheels and instead of pulling the parking brake he FOR SOME REASON moves the shifter up to REVERSE. I was furious to say the least.. and my car shut down, and took a couple of times to get it started again. I felt the pain for my transmission, he almost broke it!. I haven't forgotten that incident yet to date even though he's one of my best boyz and I didnt say much at the time and still don't say nothing. He just doesn't get to touch my car much (or at all) now . Thankfully my transmission was OK.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by for sHo
he floors it in D and then turns the wheels and instead of pulling the parking brake he FOR SOME REASON moves the shifter up to REVERSE. I was furious to say the least.. and my car shut down, and took a couple of times to get it started again. I felt the pain for my transmission, he almost broke it!.
He must've heard about the cut-it-in-reverse donuts and got confused. Those are SOOO much fun if you can get goin' really fast.