General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help my Max is sick and getting sicker.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 01:01 AM

Help my Max is sick and getting sicker.

For those of you who dont know, I went to the drags last friday with dissapointing results. Averaged 15.5's with traps of 89-90 MPH. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=track OK I went to the drags again tonight with better conditions. it wasnt freezing cold but I was able to launch better then I did before. Anyway, tonight I had 3 runs in good. I launched pretty good (minimal wheel hop) all around 3000-4000 RPM launches, and I shifted perfect with partial lift throttle shifts at 6500, 6300 and 6000 for 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. I Didnt miss and I really pounded them in there. However, my 3 runs, 2 were in the 15.5's and one was 15.49 which is close enough to 15.5. My RT once again was on the ball between .6 and .7, my 60 foots were between 2.3 and 2.4, But, the real kicker on this one is my trap speed. Last week it was 89-90 MPH. Well this week it was 88 mph! Too bad this wasn't back to the future, but my trap speed is getting slower.

I thought it may have been my K&N cone being dirty, so I ran once without it. It didn't do anything, my speed and ET were almost identical within 1/100'th of a second.

With my mods my car should be doing soooo much better. I have Quaife differential (it helped launching, but now I have bad wheel hop), ACT clutch, cattman Y, Stillen B, and a K&N cone. Especially after looking at my runs from last november for comparision, I pulled out some old time slips from nov 16, 2001. I had everything the same mod wise here. Except-my worst trap speed was 92 MPH back then, even missing gears. So this says something is going on for me loosing 4-5 MPH on the trap speed. Something is not right.

I think I may be going thru the same dilemmna as BriGuyMax. My car idles fine, it is smooth when accelerating, but it just feels like its lost some power. I thought it was me at first, but after running 2 weeks back to back with no improvement in trap speed or ET somethings going on. I will admit, I havent checked my spark plugs yet cause its 4 AM right now, but nothing has changed since last season. This one's really got me puzzled. I was going to do a dyno but I'm poor, so hopefully I can figure it out without one.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:30 AM

Your car is going to hell....

But I'd say check the KS and the ignition timing. Even though you can't change it I'm you can find someone with a scan tool that will give you a print out of ignition timing vs rpm at WOT. That way you can compare to other maxima's to see if yours is getting alot of timing retard.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:06 AM

Re: Help my Max is sick and getting sicker.

Originally posted by ericdwong
For those of you who dont know, I went to the drags last friday with dissapointing results. Averaged 15.5's with traps of 89-90 MPH. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=track OK I went to the drags again tonight with better conditions. it wasnt freezing cold but I was able to launch better then I did before. Anyway, tonight I had 3 runs in good. I launched pretty good (minimal wheel hop) all around 3000-4000 RPM launches, and I shifted perfect with partial lift throttle shifts at 6500, 6300 and 6000 for 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. I Didnt miss and I really pounded them in there. However, my 3 runs, 2 were in the 15.5's and one was 15.49 which is close enough to 15.5. My RT once again was on the ball between .6 and .7, my 60 foots were between 2.3 and 2.4, But, the real kicker on this one is my trap speed. Last week it was 89-90 MPH. Well this week it was 88 mph! Too bad this wasn't back to the future, but my trap speed is getting slower.

I thought it may have been my K&N cone being dirty, so I ran once without it. It didn't do anything, my speed and ET were almost identical within 1/100'th of a second.

With my mods my car should be doing soooo much better. I have Quaife differential (it helped launching, but now I have bad wheel hop), ACT clutch, cattman Y, Stillen B, and a K&N cone. Especially after looking at my runs from last november for comparision, I pulled out some old time slips from nov 16, 2001. I had everything the same mod wise here. Except-my worst trap speed was 92 MPH back then, even missing gears. So this says something is going on for me loosing 4-5 MPH on the trap speed. Something is not right.

I think I may be going thru the same dilemmna as BriGuyMax. My car idles fine, it is smooth when accelerating, but it just feels like its lost some power. I thought it was me at first, but after running 2 weeks back to back with no improvement in trap speed or ET somethings going on. I will admit, I havent checked my spark plugs yet cause its 4 AM right now, but nothing has changed since last season. This one's really got me puzzled. I was going to do a dyno but I'm poor, so hopefully I can figure it out without one.
try not shifting into 4th gear? fuel injectors clogged? throttle body not working properly at WOT? you're almost a full second away from what you should be running at.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:34 AM

Hey eric, join the crowd. My 95spd has some power loss as well, and I can't figure it out. Changed plugs, cleaned my filter, tb, changed fuel filter. Next Im going to gut my cat. One thing I have noticed, it seems everyone that has a 4th gen that has power loss is a 5spd. You, Briguy, VeeTec(I think), and myself. Keep me posted if you fix your problem!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by bmxsteve
Hey eric, join the crowd. My 95spd has some power loss as well, and I can't figure it out. Changed plugs, cleaned my filter, tb, changed fuel filter. Next Im going to gut my cat. One thing I have noticed, it seems everyone that has a 4th gen that has power loss is a 5spd. You, Briguy, VeeTec(I think), and myself. Keep me posted if you fix your problem!!!

That is strange, maybe it is just cause the auto guys don't notice it, or that they aren't at the track as much?? Just don't see why a 5spd or auto would matter in this case, unless some 5spd ECU's are defective???
Old 03-09-2002, 10:25 AM

mabe its something with the transimssion?

I might be adding myself to the list soon, I am going to replace my spark plugs first though, I am almost certain that that is why my car is acting a little sluggish. I am going to race another 5spd unmodded tonight hopefully, and it is possible I am just fine but my butt-dino is not working properly...?
Old 03-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sell the car.

running w/o air filter..another good move there.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:20 PM

Re: Re: Help my Max is sick and getting sicker.

Originally posted by VQdriver
try not shifting into 4th gear? fuel injectors clogged? throttle body not working properly at WOT? you're almost a full second away from what you should be running at.
Hey man you might want to check your catalytic converter, it may be failing on you, thats if you haven't removed yours from your car.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

compression test.

Yeahh, running without any filter on the air intake for the engine...mmm...geee...good idea. Seems like you really beat the crap out of your car. I wouldn't be surprised if you hurt something in there.

When did you last clean your TB? Are there any gaskets missing/broken?
Old 03-10-2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Lime
compression test.

Yeahh, running without any filter on the air intake for the engine...mmm...geee...good idea. Seems like you really beat the crap out of your car. I wouldn't be surprised if you hurt something in there.

When did you last clean your TB? Are there any gaskets missing/broken?
also check your O2 sensors.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:23 PM

This one has got me. My 88 MPH trapspeeds are way off the ordinary. The O2 sensors will not matter since they are ignored at WOT anyway. I was thinking maybe the cat, but I remember when I had my car apart my cat was not clogged or gummed up at all. This one's got me stumped. I was running 93 oct. gas. btw. I think something may be retarding the timing. I'll look in my FSM see if it has anything to say.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:25 PM

has anyone considered cars just break down after awhile,, just not run like they use to. just my 2 cents - peace