General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Road Kill: MR-2 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Road Kill: MR-2 Spyder

So I'm on I-95N 5-10 miles south of the Blue Route (I-476) in southern PA and it's 3 lanes wide. I'm cruising at about 80 mph and I'm in the center lane. Up ahead there's two cars side-by-side in the center and right lanes so I switch over to the left lane to go by. Just then is when I see a car coming up like a bat out of hell on the far right. It sorta looked like a Porsche Boxster but a little smaller. Hmm...anyways, he got right on my azz as I was cruising on by the slower folks and I knew he was going to take off and zip around me the second there was enough room.

Downshift to 4th

I maintained my steady speed around the other cars and sure enough as soon as there was a clearing the guy swerved over and hit it, and it turned out to be an Toyota MR-2 Spyder (the new one).

I hit it and I immediately started pulling on him and got maybe two cars on him up to 100 mph when I backed off.

Kill #1

I let him fly by and he was darting in and out of some traffic ahead but then made a bad move and got stuck and I went by him again. He pulled clear and then we were more or less side-by-side. I was in the center lane now and he was in the right. There was a single hole in traffic once again, this time in my lane. He nailed it and was going to try and cut me off and get in front of me, but this was pretty close quarters. Not so fast there, buddy.

I downshifted to 4th again and hit it, but this was just a quick little burst to close the door on him and prevent him from doing something very stupid right in front of me. Torque ownz him. hehe.

I checked the specs on those things. Only 138 HP but they only weigh 2195lb :-o! They're good for low-7's to 60 and low/mid-15's in the 1/4 mile so I'm pretty happy with my Max's performance against him :-)
Old 03-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Aren't the new MR-2 pretty slow? I know the old turbo ones run high 15s stock.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:26 PM

Downshift to 3rd next time.

You will pull on him even more.

At 80mph, 3rd gear is right up there in the powerband.
I used to have 95 Maxima and 2000 Maxima all 5-speed. I always used 3rd on the highway when I was racing some one. Going from 5th to 3rd at 85mph, feels so good
Old 03-10-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Aren't the new MR-2 pretty slow? I know the old turbo ones run high 15s stock.
They're not terribly slow. They've got roughly the power/weight ratio of a 4th gen.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:49 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Downshift to 3rd next time.

Originally posted by Dany
You will pull on him even more.

At 80mph, 3rd gear is right up there in the powerband.
I used to have 95 Maxima and 2000 Maxima all 5-speed. I always used 3rd on the highway when I was racing some one. Going from 5th to 3rd at 85mph, feels so good
That is what I was about to say.

Old 03-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I figured 4th gear was the best choice because 3rd would have put me at 5500rpm - too close to the shift point of around 6100rpm. 4th Gen's don't have the top-end that 5th gen's do. If I had a 5th Gen I sure as heck would have used 3rd instead
Old 03-11-2002, 05:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Heh. There's a BB turboed spyder near me. I don't think you could beat him.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:00 AM

hehe...if the person know how to drive and mod that car....good luck doing that again hehe...
Old 03-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by AznStevie
hehe...if the person know how to drive and mod that car....good luck doing that again hehe...
Why do people post crap like this.

I beat a Mustang GT on the highway from 80 on up. YES if he was a 4.6 he would have beat me. YES if he was modded he would have beat me. YES if he was SC he would have beat me. YES if he was 5spd he would have beat me. YES if he had NOS he would have beat me.

BUT he didnt have any of that crap and I won. That's ALL that matters.

We dont need any of these "You're lucky that thing wasnt turboed, or that thing wasnt modded" No kidding, a win is a win, that's ALL.

How about, "That MR2 is lucky Steve wasnt SC or he'd have been beaten even worse"....??? Why no posts like that?

Sheesh.....
Old 03-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

I beat a Mustang GT on the highway from 80 on up. YES if he was a 4.6 he would have beat me. YES if he was modded he would have beat me. YES if he was SC he would have beat me. YES if he was 5spd he would have beat me. YES if he had NOS he would have beat me.

We dont need any of these "You're lucky that thing wasnt turboed, or that thing wasnt modded" No kidding, a win is a win, that's ALL.

How about, "That MR2 is lucky Steve wasnt SC or he'd have been beaten even worse"....??? Why no posts like that?

Sheesh.....

I agree. Like the time I beat that GTP at the track. So what if I only edged him out. Maybe there was something wrong with his car, whatever the case might be, I can't control that. I got lot of crap for posting that video. It's not my fault if that GTP wasn't running right.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:01 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by mzmtg

Sheesh.....
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning
Old 03-11-2002, 01:03 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Road Kill: MR-2 Spyder

Originally posted by SteVTEC
So I'm on I-95N 5-10 miles south of the Blue Route (I-476) in southern PA and it's 3 lanes wide. I'm cruising at about 80 mph and I'm in the center lane. Up ahead there's two cars side-by-side in the center and right lanes so I switch over to the left lane to go by. Just then is when I see a car coming up like a bat out of hell on the far right. It sorta looked like a Porsche Boxster but a little smaller. Hmm...anyways, he got right on my azz as I was cruising on by the slower folks and I knew he was going to take off and zip around me the second there was enough room.

Downshift to 4th

I maintained my steady speed around the other cars and sure enough as soon as there was a clearing the guy swerved over and hit it, and it turned out to be an Toyota MR-2 Spyder (the new one).

I hit it and I immediately started pulling on him and got maybe two cars on him up to 100 mph when I backed off.

Kill #1

I let him fly by and he was darting in and out of some traffic ahead but then made a bad move and got stuck and I went by him again. He pulled clear and then we were more or less side-by-side. I was in the center lane now and he was in the right. There was a single hole in traffic once again, this time in my lane. He nailed it and was going to try and cut me off and get in front of me, but this was pretty close quarters. Not so fast there, buddy.

I downshifted to 4th again and hit it, but this was just a quick little burst to close the door on him and prevent him from doing something very stupid right in front of me. Torque ownz him. hehe.

I checked the specs on those things. Only 138 HP but they only weigh 2195lb :-o! They're good for low-7's to 60 and low/mid-15's in the 1/4 mile so I'm pretty happy with my Max's performance against him :-)
Oh yeah, nice kill Stevo!!!