General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I think I found my rattle- My Y pipe flex is busted

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 06:46 PM

I think I found my rattle- My Y pipe flex is busted

Today after I cleansed my throttle body and MAF, I instantly noticed a very alarming smell inside the garage, even though 1/2 the butt end of the car was outside. I then was under the car and noticed a buncha condensation. I started the car, sure enough, the flex section was leaking (again). This may explain my ratting noise I can't seem to find. It never occured to me, but after doing a search it looks like people were having rattling problems. And its in the right spot too.

I think I broke the Y pipe when I went to the drag strip 2 weeks ago. I was getting horrific wheel hop and it probably busted open the flex. That is also when the unexplainable rattle started happening. However, I have not noticed a decrease in performance or torque, especially after cleaning the MAF elements. But if it improves after I fix it, the merrier I will be.

This also tells me I should hurry up and urethane the remaining motor mounts. It probably still will not prevent the wheel hop (with my non-lowered suspension), but at least it should hold the motor steady so theres less movement and less strain on pipes, and hoses and wires.

I'm going to contact Warpspeed performance. Apparently they can fix these pipes, even if they didnt make it. I dont feel like paying the shipping costs for me to ship the pipe clear across the country so warpspeed is closer to me. What did everybody else do?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Ramius83

Damn that sucks dude, hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix.....

Old 03-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Join the club

My Cattman y-pipe has a busted flex joint. The leak will get worse the more you drive it. My car sounded like a big POS for awhile until I got the stock pipe back on. Man, I miss the power so much! I am presently attempting to get Cattman to fix it. I already sent it to him and he refuses to fix it saying they don't deal with the jet-hot coated pipes anymore. The part is even still under warranty. What a joke. I am very displeased with their service lately. I did talk to Dallas at Warpspeed and he said fixing the flex is a pretty straight-forward process and they have fixed other company's pipes before. Seems very professional. Where did you buy your pipe from originally?
Old 03-11-2002, 11:30 PM

yea, my pipe is busted for the SECOND time......damn broken engine mounts....
Old 03-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I think I found my rattle- My Y pipe flex is busted

Originally posted by ericdwong
Today after I cleansed my throttle body and MAF, I instantly noticed a very alarming smell inside the garage, even though 1/2 the butt end of the car was outside. I then was under the car and noticed a buncha condensation. I started the car, sure enough, the flex section was leaking (again). This may explain my ratting noise I can't seem to find. It never occured to me, but after doing a search it looks like people were having rattling problems. And its in the right spot too.

I think I broke the Y pipe when I went to the drag strip 2 weeks ago. I was getting horrific wheel hop and it probably busted open the flex. That is also when the unexplainable rattle started happening. However, I have not noticed a decrease in performance or torque, especially after cleaning the MAF elements. But if it improves after I fix it, the merrier I will be.

This also tells me I should hurry up and urethane the remaining motor mounts. It probably still will not prevent the wheel hop (with my non-lowered suspension), but at least it should hold the motor steady so theres less movement and less strain on pipes, and hoses and wires.

I'm going to contact Warpspeed performance. Apparently they can fix these pipes, even if they didnt make it. I dont feel like paying the shipping costs for me to ship the pipe clear across the country so warpspeed is closer to me. What did everybody else do?
Kinda OT but did you ever figure out why your car was having trouble starting, whats the fix? I am still dieing to know what was wrong with my 95!
Old 03-12-2002, 12:03 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

that's why i buy from Warpspeed.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:05 AM

Re: Re: I think I found my rattle- My Y pipe flex is busted

Originally posted by emax95

Kinda OT but did you ever figure out why your car was having trouble starting, whats the fix? I am still dieing to know what was wrong with my 95!
I honestly do not know. It just stopped doing it maybe 2 weeks ago. maybe cause of the weather, but the past few nights has been in the 30's. I really dont know.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:28 AM

I may have a problem too.

I had the resonator taken off and now there is a real tinny, rattly sound to my exhaust. I pulled the car over my pit and got under it while it was running. I could just barely hear a noise around the flex section, sounded like clinking metal or something. I think it may get more pronounced when I drive and cause the exhaust to make that horrible sound, I'm not sure. I may try and get down to Warpspeed and see what they think.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:06 PM

We have been repairing Stillen Y pipes and a few Cattman Y pipes for a while, I guess most are out of warranty. We usually have the material on hand and since we are really the only ones who do this type of work daily it is really no problem. I have some lined 2-1/4" flex sections on order and expect them in next week (we use only the 2-1/2" for our WarpSpeed Y pipes) we usually turn them in a couple of days. So far we have not had one we could not repair, most run between $75 and $100 and include gaskets and a new flex section, if jet coated we replace with stainless. Return shipping is the same $15 (in the lower 48 states) we charge for a new Y pipe. We may end up adding a flex section to some of the slip joint style pipes so if you have one I am sure we can retrofit them as well.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 03-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

question

why cant you just take your car to a muffler shop and have them fix what ever area of your y-pipe that is busted? why does need to go to warpspeed?
Old 03-12-2002, 12:32 PM

I have had a horrible rattling for awhile now.

All my exhaust is stainless steel. Over a year old or so. My SS y-pipe is from cattman, how do I check this flex section?

Peace
Old 03-12-2002, 01:22 PM

Re: question

Originally posted by nismo2020
why cant you just take your car to a muffler shop and have them fix what ever area of your y-pipe that is busted? why does need to go to warpspeed?
First off it takes special tools to weld stainless. And, the average joe schmoe muffler shop will do a mig welded butcher job. Tig is much more suited for stainless. I took beginning welding but I cant remember if MiG can even be used on stainless. Its pretty interseting, theres 3 types of basic welding, arc, mig and tig. Do a search on the internet or at howstuffworks.com for the applications and differences. Welding is alot harder then it looks also, it takes alot of practice, and circular objects (exhausts) are even harder to do.

Also, I trust the work of Warpspeed, seeing as how I havent heard any big complaints about Y pipes not fixing or their flex sections breaking. They deal with these 24/7
Old 03-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It seems that Stillen and Cattman both run flex sections that are too short for the engine movement. What ends up happening is the flexible pipe underneath the flex webbing becomes torn under constant harsh loads (ie hard shifts, WOT). Take a look at the stock flex and the Stillen/Cattman flex. You'll note that the stock flex is nearly 2X as long. My Stillen flex section tore after about 2 years use. It was either spend $120 to get it fixed or pay $190 to get a new larger diameter non-mandrel y-pipe with a lined flex section from Warpspeed. The reason I considered the Warpspeed pipe was because their flex is nearly as long as stock therefore it's less prone to excessive loads and less vibration is carried through the exhaust. I dumped my old Y-pipe for $40 and got the Warpspeed. I couldn't be happier.

Dave
Old 03-12-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by bmfjeep
We have been repairing Stillen Y pipes and a few Cattman Y pipes for a while, I guess most are out of warranty. We usually have the material on hand and since we are really the only ones who do this type of work daily it is really no problem. I have some lined 2-1/4" flex sections on order and expect them in next week (we use only the 2-1/2" for our WarpSpeed Y pipes) we usually turn them in a couple of days. So far we have not had one we could not repair, most run between $75 and $100 and include gaskets and a new flex section, if jet coated we replace with stainless. Return shipping is the same $15 (in the lower 48 states) we charge for a new Y pipe. We may end up adding a flex section to some of the slip joint style pipes so if you have one I am sure we can retrofit them as well.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
this is very encouraging...looking for a y pipe pretty soon and this just gives you guys that much more credibility. good job guys! you'll be hearing from me soon...
Old 03-12-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: I may have a problem too.

Originally posted by BSwithTF
I had the resonator taken off and now there is a real tinny, rattly sound to my exhaust. I pulled the car over my pit and got under it while it was running. I could just barely hear a noise around the flex section, sounded like clinking metal or something. I think it may get more pronounced when I drive and cause the exhaust to make that horrible sound, I'm not sure. I may try and get down to Warpspeed and see what they think.
i have that same sound...i have warpspeed y-pipe and resonator removed...now i get that ricey sound...i think it's normal because i got the first gen y-pipe from warpspeed which had the "bees in a can" sound and removing the resonator just made it a lot louder