General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Alignment after control arm replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 08:03 PM

Alignment after control arm replacement?

As some of you may or may not know my 2002 snapped the front passenger lower control arm (on the rear weld) after only 34 hours of being of the dealers lot. I've been told by some welding experts that it was a terrible weld. Anyhow, I do not believe that the dealer did an alignment on the car after replacing the control arm. It's not on the list of things they did. It seems that the car now pulls to the left (slightly) even when the road crowns the other way.

Should the dealer have done an alignment? Also how much should I expect to pay and where can I take the car to get one done?

Stereodude
Old 03-11-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: Alignment after control arm replacement?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
the tie rods were never touched unless the dumnut nissan techs are a bunch of morons. All it is to replace the lower control arm is to remove cotter pin from lower ball joint, 22mm nut, and your lower control arm is free if that weld broke. After that its a 26mm nut to remove that lower control arm bushing, and a large pair of channel locks. the tie rods were never touched, and shouldn't need an alignment, but when it doubt, have them do it again free of charge.
If they refuse, take your business elsewhere to a dealer which is reputtable in your area, if any. Worse comes to worse, go to an alignment shop...then give me an email and I can have a service credit arranged for you, which is good towards Nissan Genuine Parts or Service by the dealer. Discount Nissan Parts Dealers also apply to this service credit. Free Mods.
Couldn't some of that stuff have been bent or taken out of alignment when the wheel was free to move forward and backwards (from accelerating or braking)? I know the wheel rubbed either the front or the back of wheel well as I was pulling over.

Here's the pictures of the broken control arm.

http://stereo.d2g.com:900/lca_01.jpg
http://stereo.d2g.com:900/lca_02.jpg
http://stereo.d2g.com:900/lca_03.jpg
http://stereo.d2g.com:900/lca_04.jpg
http://stereo.d2g.com:900/lca_05.jpg

Stereodude
Old 03-11-2002, 09:13 PM

From what I can see...the entire assembly from strut, lower control arm, the rear mount and the front mount should all have been replaced, and should have been aligned...go back to Nissan and tell them that potentially the strut is bent and the front mount of the lower control arm should be replaced, at no cost to you since its a manufacturing defect. If they do not comply with your demands, drop me an email and I will make sure you get the **** done right.
Do you work for Nissan now? I thought you were moving to the left coast though. I'll call the dealership and whine at them tomorrow and see what they say before I drive the car there (it's not exactly near my house).

Stereodude
Old 03-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Good God!!! What has Nissan come to!!!!!!!! The new Maxima seems to have some serious problems. 6 speeds failing, clutches failing, heated steering wheels not hooked up, rattley Bose speakers, driveability problems with the throttle body, and now a sheared control arm within 34 hours of use!?!?! StereoDude, EVERYTHING should have been replaced when they did the control arm. Anything that showed signs of damamge (it appears lot of stuff was banged up) should have been replaced. Why didn't you just return the car? Most states has a 2-3 day return law where you can return the car if you're not happy?

If and when a control arm breaks, a ton of stress is placed on parts that aren't designed for this kind of load and movement. Things like the ENTIRE strut assembly (strut, bearing, mount), tie rod, bearing and race within the steering knuckle, half shaft, potentially the tranny bearings, power steering rack, no to mention the splash guards. Did anything get scuffed underneath the car during this failure when the arm broke? At the least, the halfshaft should have been replaced, power steering rack inspected, tie rod and the strut assembly replaced, splash guards, and of course the control arm.

In a nutshell, you're getting screwed. Make sure you document all of this.

Dave
Old 03-11-2002, 10:03 PM

Wow this is a first I've ever heard of. I've even haeard of people running and snapping their entire wheels and suspension parts off but still not breaking the control arms. Those things are supposed to be strong as *****. If the control arm failed like this, imagine what another part might do. Just watch, next its gonna be seat belts failing or air bags not going off, then nissan will really have law suits on their hands.

Yet this is another reason I will never ever buy a nissan again, and discourage anybody who is looking to buy one not to.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:07 AM

No longer work for Nissan, I'm a disgruntled ex worker, and said f*ck NisMo...now JUN TEKK, Inc. is my new business.
importing Nissan OE wheels, JDM stuff for other cars, and some fabrication, so we'll see how this goes.
Pardon my ignorance, but if you don't work for Nissan, how can you make sure they fix the car correctly?

Stereodude
Old 03-12-2002, 04:11 AM

eric, I still don't agree with you, after driving a variety of cars, I'd still have to say nissans have great reliability, performance, and bang for the buck. Build quality is usually above average as well. My next car is going to be a nissan.

Having said that, when I slid into a curb in the rain, my lower control arm was bent and my rims were scratched on my front passenger side. My car drove funny and the tire rubbed when I turned the wheel all the way. Upon inspection, my toe and camber were way off. When I took it into the shop they said my control arm had to be replaced and my strut as well. It was bent. Well my damn insurance company said they wanted more "proof" that the strut had to be replaced, and I needed my car back so the shop kinda modified my strut mounting to get the alignment semi-right. Well my car is back in the shop again getting that strut replaced after a long argument with my insurance company. Bastiches ... Anyway, my point is that whenever you have that type of damage, the struts are especially prone to damage. Take it back to the dealer and have them do an alignment free of charge, if it's still not perfect, have them replace the strut that day!

Good luck, I feel your pain I really miss my car!!
Old 03-12-2002, 08:08 AM

I'm still waiting for a call from the dealer, but it seems that they did a little more than replace just the control arm. Apparently they replaced the bearing and bushings and a few other things. They called it a "link assembly". The strut was not replaced, nor was the front mount. They also did not do an alignment on the car. I've spoken to the dealer twice today and they're looking into it. I'm not sure what they're looking into since I've got the car here at work with me.

Dave B, nothing got scuffed. The arm broke during a stop from 50mph. The car was almost stopped when I ran over a bump in the road. Loud bang and that was the end of the control arm. I drove it maybe a few hundred feet (was in a turnaround and had to get out of it and pull the car over to the side of the road). I'm not sure that the pictures show signs of any other damage. I bought the car in canada and already paid sales tax and an import duty on it, so returning it was never an option.

Eric, the control arm had a bad weld causing it to break. It's not like it's poorly designed and snapped because of that.

Yo_its_ok, I'm still waiting to see what the dealer does, but my "Service Advisor" already started using the "Warranty only covers certain things" line when I was on the phone with her. She indicated that they may not be able to replace some of the parts you guys suggested because the warranty wouldn't cover it.

You guys are making me consider converting the IP to english as well as the HVAC display and unloading the car on someone else. Lancer EVO VII here I come!

Stereodude
Old 03-12-2002, 08:52 AM

An alignment is called for whenever you change a peart like a lower control arm because production tolerances - even if tight - will likely result in some change.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:16 PM

I dont want to oppose anyone's views but I think your wrong Hogan........

I had my control arms replaced on my 4th gen and before the shop even began the work (it was Meineke) they said they didn't do wheel alignments and that a wheel alignment would be necessary after replacing the control arms. I dont have my Hanes manual with me here at work, but I'm almost certain Hanes suggests a wheel alignment after replacing control arms.

I feel sorry for you Stereodude, the whole point of buying a new car is to not have to worry about **** falling off or breaking. If I were you I'd write to Nissan Corporate headquarters in regards to this matter. I would even go so far as to ask for a replacement vehicle, even with the current state of repairs from the dealer. If this could've happened on a 50mph-0 stop imagine if it happened while travelling at 60+ mph around a bend. Nissan is liable for their vehicles and failures like this are rare. I'd say rare enough to qualify for a replacement at no extra charge. Good luck, and stay focused dont let up on the dealer until you are totally satisfied.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:43 PM

I know the people that get **** done...64K miles and I'm still covered under warranty ?
I know the North American Supervisor, for Nissan. Happens to be dating my cousin who works for Nissan in Gardena, CA.

-It's all in the family.
Ok, I sent you an e-mail. Seems that the car didn't "pull" when they were done with it. Of course they didn't actually do a full alignment on it and they put all of about 2km on the car when they had it. How they know it didn't pull is beyond me. They only checked the "toe" and replaced the arm because that's all the warranty covers.

Supposedly they checked strut and everything else and it was ok.

Stereodude
Old 03-12-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think another alignment is in order asap. True the tie rods might not have been touched but if the new control arm is even slightly different that the new one, the aligment will be off. Also who is to say, you didn't bend something when the control arm let go? Strut, tierod, kingpin, unibody all could have suffered a fraction of an inch bending that would be invisible to the eye. Get at least an alignment check that includes, toe, camber, caster, thrust angle etc.... if they can't get into specs, something else is bent.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay just ignore my whole post then.(lower ball joint, happy now)

LoL kingpin...did you know 91 Q4s have problems w/ king pins, and I ended up replacing the whole damm spindle...BTW Maximas don't have kingpins
Old 03-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Stereodude
They only checked the "toe" and replaced the arm because that's all the warranty covers.

Because that's all that warranty covers? WTF! Their part failed and inflicted damage elsewhere on the car. They should cover EVERYTHING that shows the slightest hint of damage (dents, scraps, etc). It's a brand new car. In my book, their actions are unacceptable.

Dave
Old 03-12-2002, 07:32 PM

Its been taken care of...I think SDude will thank me for my hookup
Yeah I'll have to try again tomorrow. Your hookup never came back into the office (according to the voicemail anyhow). I tried calling a few times, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Stereodude