General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Killed By one of Our Own....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 03:24 PM

Killed By one of Our Own....

This Morning I was leaving for school..
I was driving the Maxima. And This guy in my Neighborhood just got a '02 SE Auto. It turns out I was behind him. As he pulls into traffic a car is coming...So I decided to pull out too and at least get back close(but not tailgating) Behind him. So the car we pulled in front of wouldn't have to hit the brakes...Well it turns out this guy Starts Acclerating So My foot when More and More towards the floor till it was there hes still in front of me...Turns out he didn't even have it to the floor b/c his back end drops down and He Just takes off...And I still have it to the floor...By this time we're going about 70-80 and I backed off..since his point was made. And I don't need another speeding ticket.
Needless to Saw I am impressed with the Performance of the '02 MAX.
Can't wait till I get ungrounded so I can Get my 3KGT back...I don't think he'll take me so easy with that
Old 03-13-2002, 03:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Smart decision to stop at 70 because you were never catching him. I want a chance to see how I would do against a 2k2.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:40 PM

Weren't you the guy who just posted the other day about getting a ticket for 100+ in a 55 and your dad was talking about selling off your 3000GT because of it?

Old 03-13-2002, 03:45 PM

Yup I'm the guy...
He decided Not to sell my car...But ground me from it
As far as Speeding ..I know its bad...But I mean everyone here hits 100MPH at least once in a lifetime(I just so happen to be doing it at the wrong time)I normally not a crazed speeder but When I drive slow or "Normal" It build...that explains why it was 103 And Next time someone is chasing me I'm just going to go speed limit and call 911 I mean someone pointed out to me.Whats the worst he can do? Shoot me while I'm driving? Run me off the Road??..So I'm grounded for 2 weeks and My dad is going to handle my ticket...
Old 03-13-2002, 03:46 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Killed By one of Our Own....

Originally posted by CometMAX
I was driving the Maxima. And This guy in my Neighborhood just got a '02 SE Auto. It turns out I was behind him. As he pulls into traffic a car is coming...So I decided to pull out too and at least get back close(but not tailgating) Behind him. So the car we pulled in front of wouldn't have to hit the brakes...Well it turns out this guy Starts Acclerating So My foot when More and More towards the floor till it was there hes still in front of me...Turns out he didn't even have it to the floor b/c his back end drops down and He Just takes off...And I still have it to the floor...By this time we're going about 70-80 and I backed off..since his point was made. And I don't need another speeding ticket.
Can't wait till I get ungrounded so I can Get my 3KGT back...I don't think he'll take me so easy with that
What's the 0-60 and 1/4th mile of your 3000GT ? I heard some are really slow, and some are fast ?
Old 03-13-2002, 03:57 PM

3000 GT SL = Brick on Wheels
3000 GT VR-4 = Fast as Hell but still has a ****ty tranny to handle AWD.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
yup
Old 03-13-2002, 04:26 PM

You mean the 2002 Maximas are faster than the ones from 1989? Who would have guessed?
Old 03-13-2002, 04:36 PM

Acutally Its Low 15's to High 14's Stock for the SL with 222 HP
A VR-4 is about Mid to high 13's with 320Hp

As far is it being a Brick on wheels It will still Give a '00-01 Maxima A good spanking...

0-60 for an SL is about 6.3
and for a VR-4 is 4.8

Althought its not the quickest thing out there I look better than most car out there!

Btw-we all know my 3000GT will get more girls than your Grocery-Hauler Family Sedan will
Old 03-13-2002, 05:17 PM

Btw-we all know my 3000GT will get more girls than your Grocery-Hauler Family Sedan will
Not with that fugly wing! jk bro

I don't pay attention to what girls think of cars anyways, if it were up to them, eveyone would have a jetta, a jeep wrangler, and a V6 mustang with badass LIGHT COVERS, WOOOOOOOOO baby.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack

I don't pay attention to what girls think of cars anyways, if it were up to them, eveyone would have a jetta, a jeep wrangler, and a V6 mustang with badass LIGHT COVERS, WOOOOOOOOO baby.
LMAO!
Old 03-13-2002, 07:19 PM

That's hilarious and so true.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

thats sooooooooo true! Jetta is the king of all chick cars!

Old 03-13-2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
thats sooooooooo true! Jetta is the king of all chick cars!

The sure fire way to get chicks around here is to wear nothing but aberreafsfjskcrombie and fitch, drive a jeep wrangler with 8 hella 500s that aren't even hooked up, with 36" tires (the most offroading these things see are is when they park in the grass at home), and listen to 'dave' all day... What is this world coming to?

And yes, my girlfriend wants a Jetta. Go figure
Old 03-13-2002, 08:43 PM

And yes, my girlfriend wants a Jetta. Go figure

...this is all so true, a good majority of the cars at my school are wranglers or some other SUV, with lifts or the hella lights...i'm one of only 3 maximas
Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 PM

damn abercrombie to hell!
Old 05-26-2002, 02:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Finally found misinformation on a forum I'm already registered on! {STILL waiting on any avaliable info on towing options for a 92SE!!!}

Ok quickly:

1. Both the SL's and base 3000gts (until 97) came with the 222 hp / 217 ftlbs dohc engine. {Only the base Stealth's and post-97 base 3kgt's have the sohc 170 hp engine}. The SL's being the luxury edition weighed in 3350 lbs, with the stripped down base's coming in at around 3207-3250 lbs by year. The latter was capable of higher 14s (averaging 15.1s), and former flat-15s (averaging 15.3s). The automatics were about 70 lbs heavier and like the sohc manuals 0.9-1 sec slower to quarter (~16.0s). Add another sec for sohc autos. As for being bricks, aren't most Maximas also in the neighborhood of 3250 lbs?

Where the rumor came from that the non-turbos are heavy??? I'm guessing from people who had no clue and made a pretty dumb assumption (like: hey, air-craft carriers float right, they must be light!). Considering the VR4 comes in at ~3700 lbs w/ 320 lb of awd setup and 50 lbs aws setup + notably heavier tranny + at least 30 lbs of piping and the active suspension & aerodynamics (both of which were very functional) - it all makes perfect sense.

2. the VR4: First of all as an owner of a VR4 (TT actually) - thank's for the complement! Now for the tranny. The Getrag W5MG1 unit. In truth it is very strong & all of our quickest cars still have stock trannies (including the few-10 sec cars). The absolute lack of tranny part aftermarket is actually the limiting factor on our car's drag potential (how many skylines or supras run 8-9s on stock trannies?). Add to that the strain of repeated 1.6 sec sixty foot times & mid-10 sec runs w/ 6000 rpm AWD launches and I think you'll agree these trannies are damn well made. EXCEPT one thing -> the syncros. The syncros suck d*ck like Ru Paul on ecstasy. Oh man, some fail at 50,000 miles! {pos} The sh*t is - Getrag's unit is considered "in-serviceable" - so the dealerships & most tranny places won't touch em & for years there were NO parts. No syncro & it's as good as busted. Fortunately someone sued Getrag into releasing individual parts for them now - so the days of every 40,000 mile tranny replacements are officially over.

Well that wasn't too quick, but what the h*ll...

Dude you got chased by some guy - broke 100 in a chase - got caught and now aren't allowed to drive the 3kgt? When the heck did this happen, I didn't see it 3Si.

Also - don't feel bad man, the new SE's are awesome. Remember the 1st gen VR4 v SE 6-speed thread? Our guy's buddy ran a 14.2 in his bone stock not broken in SE. Even an auto would have been a hell of a race for you 3k, much less the Maxi. But it still surprises the hell out of 3.4L Camaros.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:40 AM

Re: yeah

Originally posted by Telionis

As for being bricks, aren't most Maximas also in the neighborhood of 3250 lbs?

4th gen maximas are right around 3000 (mine is 3010 lbs)
5th gen maximas are right around 3200
Old 05-26-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: yeah

Hah where do you guys live that girls like cars like that? In new york you gotta be driving a lexus a benz a bmw or any truck with 22-24 inch rims for them to notice you.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: yeah

Originally posted by MrBlank
Hah where do you guys live that girls like cars like that? In new york you gotta be driving a lexus a benz a bmw or any truck with 22-24 inch rims for them to notice you.

SOOO true....even on this board ive seen people saying how their Maxima's get complimented so much...Im like "huh?"

You have like 5 Maxima's per block in NY and the only time Ive gotten compliments is when my car was one of the first 5th gens on the road and after I had my rims, drop, and kit done
Old 05-26-2002, 04:33 PM

Finally found misinformation on a forum I'm already registered on! {STILL waiting on any avaliable info on towing options for a 92SE!!!}

Ok quickly:

1. Both the SL's and base 3000gts (until 97) came with the 222 hp / 217 ftlbs dohc engine. {Only the base Stealth's and post-97 base 3kgt's have the sohc 170 hp engine}. The SL's being the luxury edition weighed in 3350 lbs, with the stripped down base's coming in at around 3207-3250 lbs by year. The latter was capable of higher 14s (averaging 15.1s), and former flat-15s (averaging 15.3s). The automatics were about 70 lbs heavier and like the sohc manuals 0.9-1 sec slower to quarter (~16.0s). Add another sec for sohc autos. As for being bricks, aren't most Maximas also in the neighborhood of 3250 lbs?

Where the rumor came from that the non-turbos are heavy??? I'm guessing from people who had no clue and made a pretty dumb assumption (like: hey, air-craft carriers float right, they must be light!). Considering the VR4 comes in at ~3700 lbs w/ 320 lb of awd setup and 50 lbs aws setup + notably heavier tranny + at least 30 lbs of piping and the active suspension & aerodynamics (both of which were very functional) - it all makes perfect sense.

2. the VR4: First of all as an owner of a VR4 (TT actually) - thank's for the complement! Now for the tranny. The Getrag W5MG1 unit. In truth it is very strong & all of our quickest cars still have stock trannies (including the few-10 sec cars). The absolute lack of tranny part aftermarket is actually the limiting factor on our car's drag potential (how many skylines or supras run 8-9s on stock trannies?). Add to that the strain of repeated 1.6 sec sixty foot times & mid-10 sec runs w/ 6000 rpm AWD launches and I think you'll agree these trannies are damn well made. EXCEPT one thing -> the syncros. The syncros suck d*ck like Ru Paul on ecstasy. Oh man, some fail at 50,000 miles! {pos} The sh*t is - Getrag's unit is considered "in-serviceable" - so the dealerships & most tranny places won't touch em & for years there were NO parts. No syncro & it's as good as busted. Fortunately someone sued Getrag into releasing individual parts for them now - so the days of every 40,000 mile tranny replacements are officially over.

Well that wasn't too quick, but what the h*ll...

Dude you got chased by some guy - broke 100 in a chase - got caught and now aren't allowed to drive the 3kgt? When the heck did this happen, I didn't see it 3Si.

Also - don't feel bad man, the new SE's are awesome. Remember the 1st gen VR4 v SE 6-speed thread? Our guy's buddy ran a 14.2 in his bone stock not broken in SE. Even an auto would have been a hell of a race for you 3k, much less the Maxi. But it still surprises the hell out of 3.4L Camaros.
I think that the assumption that these cars are heavy is due to the fact that as a sports car and the class that mitsubishi put this car its a lead weight. 3250? HOLY HELL. Yeah the maxima is weighing in close to the same spec, but its a family sedan. The 3kGT is not a 4dr sedan, well it is if you include the hood and hatch. Also saying that a car averages high 14's or 15.1, maybe that is you as a seasoned driver. I doubt that the average driver is going to shave .5-1.0 sec off the time clock. It's good to know that people take the time to know about their cars, but remember to be subjective about the things you write. A 4th gen maxima with minimal mods and a solid driver can get the double take while passing a V6 Camaro. I agree that the 02's have some great pull, it has taken me about 400 bucks in bolt ons to run with an 02 SE auto, still much less than forking out the 28k for a new max.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Re: yeah

Same in Cali, and Im a former NYKER, so I know its true ! Even if you have a BENZO, or a LEX, you still have to have the DUBS to go with it... No teenage wheels on those ! .. Maybe country girls...
Old 05-26-2002, 06:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah

Originally posted by kloogy
Same in Cali, and Im a former NYKER, so I know its true ! Even if you have a BENZO, or a LEX, you still have to have the DUBS to go with it... No teenage wheels on those ! .. Maybe country girls...
Maybe its because they can see through whats on the inside. I've gotten tonz or compliments about my car by city girls.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:34 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Killed By one of Our Own....

Originally posted by Craig Mack

What's the 0-60 and 1/4th mile of your 3000GT ? I heard some are really slow, and some are fast ?
the reg 3g is really slow 60mph 8+sec, but the Vr4 is a beast that thing hauls

Old 05-26-2002, 06:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah

I dont see why...

Originally posted by SLC I30t
. I've gotten tonz or compliments about my car by city girls.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

it's an SL thoguht isn't it. those are still slow
Old 05-26-2002, 09:26 PM

The syncros suck d*ck like Ru Paul on ecstasy.
OMG I think I'm going to fall off my chair!
Old 05-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: yeah

I think that the assumption that these cars are heavy is due to the fact that as a sports car and the class that mitsubishi put this car its a lead weight. 3250? HOLY HELL. Yeah the maxima is weighing in close to the same spec, but its a family sedan. The 3kGT is not a 4dr sedan, well it is if you include the hood and hatch.
Well what do you want me to say buddy - the Maxi kicks some *** (hey I know that) - but its a 4dsc, not a camry like grocery-getter "sedan." I think it is that the Maxima is LIGHT for a 4-door, not the 3000gt is heavy for a sports car.

Lets compare numbers shall we:

3kgt base: 3207
3kgt SL: 3350

300zx 2s: 3219
300zx 2+2: 3313

Supra mk3: 3464
mkiv base: 3215
mkiv sport: 3275

-97 Camaro: 3339
98+ Camaro: 3331
Mustang: 3066

Wow - even better than I thought. Out of all the 90's sports cars, only the base Mustang really beat the base 3kgt in weight. In fact the base 3000gt is lighter than all the others. The n/a 300ZX's and the Supra's were both almost identical in weight to the 3000gt by trim. Even the luxo edition SL doesn't seem so bad. So what the heck are you comparing the base 3000gt with to call it a brick? A go-cart?

Also saying that a car averages high 14's or 15.1, maybe that is you as a seasoned driver. I doubt that the average driver is going to shave .5-1.0 sec off the time clock.
Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. A base model 3000gt m5 with asskicking driver should pull ~14.7, with a good seasoned driver ~14.9, with your average owner I've personally met ~15.1, with a newbie 15.3-4 & with an idiot 15.5-6s. SO good drivers can pull high 14s consistantly - totally average guys LOW15s consistantly. Add ~0.2 sec for the SL's, about ~0.9 sec for automatic trim and about ~0.7 sec for sohc cars. A simply "good" driver should get about 0.2-3 sec quicker than a totally average guy. You meet a guy on the street or track, who has owned the car for a few months+ & played with it a bit, he should average very low 15s (with noted +'s for different trims).

What do you mean about the 0.5-1.0 sec off? I said that about the automatics - and yes they ARE almost a second slower due to poor gearing.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:07 PM

a. i have to agree w/ the wing statement...sorry...
b. i'm a chick and i would NEVER go drive a jetta, a jeep, or a mustang (or any ford product!) i go for the maxima's! -the guy i'm w/ right now has a max!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:20 AM

The thing with the 3000GTs, the MKIII Supras, turbo and non-turbo, and the 300zx non-turbo, they always had that twin tubro big brother with badass performance. And with those kindof body styles, they looked really fast. The 3000GT may be able to do 14.9s, but it looks like it can go a whole lot faster.
That Maxima, on the other hand, doesn't look like it's really supposed to be fast, and it happily surprises their owners, and of course, other cars like it 0

DW
Old 05-27-2002, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah

I dont see why...

I guess I'm just lucky guy.