General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whats the deal with HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:07 PM

Whats the deal with HID's?

Sure they look phat, but are they necessary? If you are going fast enough to outrun your halogens, HID's will only help you see what you crash into.

This isht ****es me off because every time I drive at night some fool with improperly aimed HID's blinds me. Rice mods usually don't **** me off, to each his own, but being blinded is really getting annoying.

PS. Just venting.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:24 PM
JET Speed Lab

when did headlights become rice mods?

if thats the case.. why have headlights in the first place? people could have been in an accident so there aiming of the headlight is tilted up, or in other cases they dont know how?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:34 PM

I shouldn't have used the word rice, a momentary lapse in judgement. Maybe useless would be better. Useless bodykits and spoilers, although I like some body kits, don't bother me, but being blinded does.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:42 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by StrongIsleMax
I shouldn't have used the word rice, a momentary lapse in judgement. Maybe useless would be better. Useless bodykits and spoilers, although I like some body kits, don't bother me, but being blinded does.
fight back and get some HID's!
Old 03-16-2002, 12:46 AM

just drive a car with them for a night... you will NEVER want to go back to halogens

Adam
Old 03-16-2002, 08:07 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

If you are night blind like I am, you would really understand the importance. The difference between halogen and HID is utterly unbelieveable to my poor eyes at night.

I adjusted them to factory specs so mine should not bother anybody.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When ricers started putting in green and purple and blue headlights that do nothing but distract other drivers and reduce visibility on their part.

And if you get into an accident, get that ish fixed!

I'm with StrongIsleMax ... having HIDs are fine ... but when not aimed properly, they can be a hazard to other drivers.

*cough*1hotmax*cough*

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
when did headlights become rice mods?

if thats the case.. why have headlights in the first place? people could have been in an accident so there aiming of the headlight is tilted up, or in other cases they dont know how?
Old 03-16-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Whats the deal with HID's?

Sure they look phat, but are they necessary? If you are going fast enough to outrun your halogens, HID's will only help you see what you crash into.

This isht ****es me off because every time I drive at night some fool with improperly aimed HID's blinds me. Rice mods usually don't **** me off, to each his own, but being blinded is really getting annoying.

PS. Just venting.
Why diss when you haven't even used them? As far as lighting being a rice mod, I'd say that the Xenon look halogens are rice.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Esp the 8000K Philips Kits I have now...made all my other kits look like a joke.

BTW H4 HID kits have a beam correction shield so you will have no problems w/ glare.
I should make a shield for mine.

Clee if it will make you feel better about peeps with HID's, I refocused mine. Still jhaven't been flashed and its been 2 1/2 months.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:35 AM

I know there are responsible drivers (such as yourself) and there are those who get HIDS to see the road better, but have no regards for anyone else on the road.

Many ricers are like that. HIDs are bright and nice to see the road, but it's the "It's all about me." attitude that ****es me off.

Originally posted by deezo
Clee if it will make you feel better about peeps with HID's, I refocused mine. Still jhaven't been flashed and its been 2 1/2 months.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:36 AM

just adding the comment that most of the time when you are being blinded by what you think at HIDs, they are normally just overwattage HID lookalikes.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:06 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by clee130
When ricers started putting in green and purple and blue headlights that do nothing but distract other drivers and reduce visibility on their part.

*cough*1hotmax*cough*

i was talking about hyper white headlights.

i agree on mr yhai.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:12 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

they help me ..

See in the dark... especially on roads that do not have lighting (ie, Garden State Pkway towards AC)
Old 03-16-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Whats the deal with HID's?

He's been in my car enough to appreciate HIDs...

You're not the only one w/ HIDs you know

-Mine are brighter than yours.
That's ok Hogan. I just thought there was just anotther person commenting on the usage of HID's instead of the correct use of them.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Whats the deal with HID's?

I agree!!! that crap happens to me every freaking night as I drive down the parkway. some idiot has some bright as afterkarket HIDS...blinding the ever living **** out of me!!!!! ARRRRRGH...if I had some bricks I'd hurl it at their headlights!

This isht ****es me off because every time I drive at night some fool with improperly aimed HID's blinds me.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by clee130
I know there are responsible drivers (such as yourself) and there are those who get HIDS to see the road better, but have no regards for anyone else on the road.

Many ricers are like that. HIDs are bright and nice to see the road, but it's the "It's all about me." attitude that ****es me off.

I knwo exactly what you mean. Me and Freddie were talking about this one kit that got a kit on a prelude, well u know how the headlights are shaped and they almost come over the hood, well this kit took the cap off the headlights so no light would be blocked. Talk about lighting up the birds in the sky
Old 03-16-2002, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: they help me ..

-Got HIDs ?
Yes Sir
Old 03-16-2002, 01:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: they help me ..

They f*** you with the HIDs. First they blind you, then tell you it's safer. They f*** you with the HIDs. $1295.00 for a f***ing pair of headlights..WTF.

I just watched Lethal Weapon 2. Not intended for those with properly aimed HIDs

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

Yes Sir
Old 03-16-2002, 02:49 PM

what is wrong with my hid's????

not aimmmmmed propper? i don't see how? they are bright as hell and the aim point is perfect. i can see like 8 blocks ahead. it's beautiful and pretty cause it's purple. don't like it? don't get it. they kind of cost a lot of money in my opinion. this is like my...3...4......kit?

nuff said.......get hid's
Old 03-16-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: ....I know nuttin about f***ing

They f*** you with the HIDs. First they blind you, then tell you it's safer. They f*** you with the HIDs. $1295.00 for a f***ing pair of headlights..WTF.

I just watched Lethal Weapon 2. Not intended for those with properly aimed HIDs
There's the $400 HID that's re-aimable at the owner's discretion
Old 03-16-2002, 08:45 PM

i agree.

to tell the truth, in a 9004 housing, the beam pattern is ALL OVER THE PLACE! this will never be fixed unless you make a homemade shield to reflect the light toward a certain direction. anyone who points thier beam downwards towrd the street is not doing anything but loosing/shorting the beam length.
i hate hid haters! i feel anyone who knows the deal with hid's will know the true value and not talk crap about it/ it makes any oem holegen light look like s**t.
ever since my first pair of hid's i've been going crazy about hid's. and yes it's an exciting venture to discover what you can do with light! i give this to hogan who was the first pioneers prototyping for the hid concept on maximas and he was the one who introduced me to what the value was in hid's.
i just got toooooo into it and went crazy! and now to the ppl who diss me on my hid set up, take a close look at it in real life b4 you make any comments. i have spent tooooooo much on my lights for unexperienced hid ppl to diss it like that.
it's the ppl who have hid's that know what i'm talking about. hogan i'm dying to see ur new set up man!
Old 03-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

people aren't hating on the use of HIDs, they're hating on improperly aimed and WAAAAAAY to bright HIDs some people use...those are incredibly annoying. I don't care if you live in the darkest place on earth, when I get blinded everytime some guy with too bright HIDs passes by, that **** is plain ridiculous! the concept of HIDs is great, but the ridiculous output some of these kits put out are freaking ridiculous and dangerous to oncoming drivers! thats my $.02!
Old 03-17-2002, 11:22 AM

HID haters.

Thai, any 9004 housing sux ***** when it comes to controlling 1000+ lumens of light. When you say it lights up a few blocks...its called glare. Lots of glare. Wait til it rains and you get tunnel vision...welcome to the land of glare.

-Peace
I love mine in the rain, I don't have alot of glare, I can see the road 10 time better than I could with the OEM 9004
Old 03-17-2002, 05:36 PM

What we need is polarized lenses for the 9004 housing. Can you make them for us Hogan?
Old 03-17-2002, 06:06 PM

You just don't know what glare looks like...it's like a wall of light in front of your windshield and you can hardly see since the water droplets are refracting light into your eyes.

Every HID retrofit kit has glare.
Well then I must just be a complete dumba$$ since I have nothing like what you describe when I drive mine in the rain, there is a very minimal amount of glare from my headlights in the rain right now, so don't tell me i don't know what glare is thanks
Old 03-17-2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
Well then I must just be a complete dumba$$ since I have nothing like what you describe when I drive mine in the rain, there is a very minimal amount of glare from my headlights in the rain right now, so don't tell me i don't know what glare is thanks
What Hogan is talking about is a shield that basically draws a line to prevent light from glaring above a certain level. If you look at HID's on Bimmers, they will have them. You can only see this line at night though.

If you refocus them down, the glare will not be bad at all to oncoming traffic.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
I must be one too! Never noticed any problem with visibility in the rain with my retrofit. If you have to train your eyes to notice it, how bad can it be?

Can someone spell out exactly what glare is instead of giving an example that is not patently obvious to my Hanabi-retrofit-lovin' azz? From the discussion here, is it more than light that is reflected above the horizontal? Why wouldn't droplets of rain refract light of any origin? As far as blinding oncoming traffic, I've have seen several cars with "blinding" headlights--some HID's, some halogens. Most of the HiD's appeared to be on higher end cars that probably came with factory units.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:29 PM

Re: i agree.

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
to tell the truth, in a 9004 housing, the beam pattern is ALL OVER THE PLACE! this will never be fixed unless you make a homemade shield to reflect the light toward a certain direction.
What kind of shield are you talking about? Any info on this home-made shield is appreciated. By the way, I have no problems with my HIDs, they have been aimed properly. Also, I think that my lights had gotten it's burn-in period. It does not look pinkish anymore, it looks purple-whitish now, which blends in well.

Old 03-17-2002, 08:47 PM

Re: Re: i agree.

Originally posted by ßaller

What kind of shield are you talking about? Any info on this home-made shield is appreciated. By the way, I have no problems with my HIDs, they have been aimed properly. Also, I think that my lights had gotten it's burn-in period. It does not look pinkish anymore, it looks purple-whitish now, which blends in well.

Thats weird, i have had my kit some weeks now and one is somewhat pinkish or so while the other is really blue. What in the heck is goin on here....i need advice. I even switched the bulbs to the other side and the colors stayed the same to each bulb....is there something wrong with my bulbs?
Old 03-17-2002, 10:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: i agree.

Originally posted by NYBlakMaxx

Thats weird, i have had my kit some weeks now and one is somewhat pinkish or so while the other is really blue. What in the heck is goin on here....i need advice. I even switched the bulbs to the other side and the colors stayed the same to each bulb....is there something wrong with my bulbs?
You just got to wait and be patient. Each bulb have a different burn-in time. When I first got the kit about 3 weeks ago, they were both pinkish a lil, now they have settled down to the purple-whitish color that they were supposed to be.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:32 PM

man i aimed my light every which way i could and my HID's still blind people. so sorry if i blinded someone from the org but i really have no idea what do do otherwise.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Which kit? If the two bulbs don't match up, that's definitely a problem. Although I do buy that a burn-in may change the color slightly, they should at least match up. Had the same problem but the replacement bulbs matched up perfectly, and are both white with blue tint (Thanks Freddie!).
Old 03-18-2002, 03:50 AM

A word of advice >>

PS. Just venting.
Just be glad your 5th Gen has HB2 headlamps. Don't bother with those scrappy HID conversions, save you money, go to:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

or

http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm

Order up a pair of Philips VisionPlus bulbs in H4 and you'll be plenty satisfied. The added brightness of those HID conversions kits is not worth the increased glare and the loss of highbeams.

My $0.02.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:42 AM

Contact Freddie dude. Your bulbs are mismatched.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:45 AM

Re: A word of advice >>

Originally posted by Albertt

Just be glad your 5th Gen has HB2 headlamps. Don't bother with those scrappy HID conversions, save you money, go to:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

or

http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm

Order up a pair of Philips VisionPlus bulbs in H4 and you'll be plenty satisfied. The added brightness of those HID conversions kits is not worth the increased glare and the loss of highbeams.

My $0.02.
Sure those bulbs are better than any HID conversion. Scrappy my a$$! Have you even had a chance to hold a Hanabi kit in your hands? If Hanabi's were scrappy, I would have sent them back to Freddie.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:38 AM

Deezo >>

Sure those bulbs are better than any HID conversion.
Yes. Using those bulbs in an OE headlamp is better than any aftermarket HID conversion kit.

[i]Scrappy my a$$! Have you even had a chance to hold a Hanabi kit in your hands? If Hanabi's were scrappy, I would have sent them back to Freddie. [/B]
Ok, I take back the "scrappy" part. Those Hanabi kits are very well made and packaged.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:41 AM

Re: Deezo >>

Yes. Using those bulbs in an OE headlamp is better than any aftermarket HID conversion kit.
Not.

Ok, I take back the "scrappy" part. Those Hanabi kits are very well made and packaged.
You don't have to agree with us guys with the kit but just give credit where credit is due. I mean really, my Hanabi's are holding up with everyday driving with no problems at all so they've done something right. I agree that they should have a shield on them though.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:47 AM

Re: Re: Deezo >>

Not.
Have you seen an HB2 lamp with VisionPlus bulbs installed? I have and I can say that I would prefer them over any currently marketed HID conversion kit. And we all know how fanatical I am about lighting.

[i]You don't have to agree with us guys with the kit but just give credit where credit is due. I mean really, my Hanabi's are holding up with everyday driving with no problems at all so they've done something right. I agree that they should have a shield on them though. [/B]
Ok, here's the credit due. "HIDs are brighter".
Old 03-18-2002, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Deezo >>

Have you seen an HB2 lamp with VisionPlus bulbs installed? I have and I can say that I would prefer them over any currently marketed HID conversion kit. And we all know how fanatical I am about lighting.
If you have them, bring them to the Pike this Spring/Summer and we shall see which has more usable light.

Ok, here's the credit due. "HIDs are brighter". [/B]
HID's are better.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:54 AM

Deezo, can't meet your "challenge" >>

If you have them, bring them to the Pike this Spring/Summer and we shall see which has mor usable light.

HID's are better.
I don't own a 5th Gen. VisionPlus are not availible for HB1 lamps.

Oh, and yes, OE HIDs are better than an HB2 with VisionPlus.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with HID's?