General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Interesting Run-in with a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Interesting Run-in with a WRX

So yesterday I was running some errands in town (Rockville, MD) with the g/f and we were cruising back home on 355N when a Blue WRX Sedan goes past us in traffic. We're on a local 4-lane road so I get in behind him. His car looked stock and was totally debadged. He had the OEM rear spoiler, NY plates, and a "Tuning by FIZZ" (or something like that) license plate frame. Hmmm...

We weren't going fast or anything, just cruising through local traffic, and it turned out he was going our way. He got on the I-370 ramp just north of Shady Grove RD (for you local guys) and then took that over to I-270N. Still no racing. Just cruising. He got it up to 80 or so and I was still with him as we were cruising north, and then on one stretch where it was relatively clear he moderately punched it and got it up to over 100. I stayed with him but it wasn't clear enough to race.

After that he got into an exit lane up north now (Middlebrook Rd.) and sure enough that was my exit. He got caught behind some slow person in a Camry on the off-ramp. Hehehe...time for some fun merging on to Middlebrook...lets see what this WRX can do!

We're stuck behind the Camry going about 35 mph at the end of the ramp and I was already in 3rd. Middlebrook is 3 lanes in either direction. The Camry would take the far right. The WRX would take the middle, and my plan was to take the far left. I've done this merge hundreds of times so it's pretty safe. I downshifted to 2nd and got ready. As we got into the merge I checked traffic and sure enough it was clear. He hit it and so did I...muhahaha, it's on!

As I was at WOT in 2nd he was not pulling on me even an inch, but I wasn't pulling either. It was DEAD EVEN. I wound out 2nd I shifted fast to 3rd at about 6200rpm and it was STILL DEAD EVEN! I took it up to about 80 (in a 45) but then I was coming up behind another slow Camry in my lane (his lane was clear) so I had to shut it down.

my g/f to me: "sigh...you boys and your pen!s contests!!!"
me:

hehehe

Anyways, I was pretty pleased with my Maxima. I had 3/4 tank of gas, 270lb me, 110-ish g/f, and the A/C was on. The guy in the WRX was Asian and he had his g/f in the car too. When we rolled up to the light at Middlebrook & 355 I could tell he was a 5spd too because he rolled back a little when it turned green. I gave him a thumbs up but I'm not sure if he saw me.

So that's my WRX run-in. Thanks for reading :-D
Old 03-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Administrator

270 / 110
Old 03-17-2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
270 / 110
she likes guys that are "big"

Old 03-17-2002, 05:25 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by SprintMax
270 / 110
That's what i'm thinkin! Damn steve you play football or somethin?

But good run...those little ugly things have alot of power, but so do the M A X I M A 's...but just remember...had it been from a dead stop he woulda been seein your ooglie orange signals in his rear-view mirror
Old 03-17-2002, 05:26 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Old 03-17-2002, 05:31 PM
I need a truck

thats funny s right there
Old 03-17-2002, 05:49 PM

gawd...you guys are really sick!!

I'm 6'3" and she's around 5'2"

What were you all thinking?!?!

hehehe
Old 03-17-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
But good run...those little ugly things have alot of power, but so do the M A X I M A 's...but just remember...had it been from a dead stop he woulda been seein your ooglie orange signals in his rear-view mirror
Thanks. I was fully expecting to get my butt whooped but I gave it a go just for fun and I was surprised that I stayed dead even with him. I thought he would have pulled at least a couple of cars but I guess not...

Yeah, from a stop I would have been toast, especially considering it was wet out, but he was launching real soft. I wouldn't have even tried from a stop.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:28 PM
Administrator

gawd...you guys are really sick!!

I'm 6'3" and she's around 5'2"

What were you all thinking?!?!

hehehe :-D
Old 03-17-2002, 08:48 PM

rockville? haha i know that place..

nice town...
Old 03-17-2002, 11:33 PM

we should have a pho 75 meet.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Interesting Run-in with a WRX

me:

hehehe
Great phrase...
Old 03-18-2002, 06:48 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Interesting Run-in with a WRX

me:
Jane says that too, but she adds, "I should cut off your *****."

Hehehehe
Old 03-18-2002, 08:02 AM
is invisible

All this...and you're stock?
Old 03-18-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax
All this...and you're stock?
Yup...I was fully expecting to get owned.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:10 PM

Small world indeed.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Your ran my friend Robert in his WRX. Fizz Autosports is down the block from where I live, and I see him there all the time. He was around MD to drop off items that Altered Atmosphere Motorsports and get a dyno run on their 4WD dynojet. He was carrying around 200 extra pounds of weight in the trunk. He gave mad props to the driver. Good job Steve, his last comment was it took me 50 shot in my A/T to do what you did in a stock 5spd. -Peace
lol...no way! thanks, hogan. hahaha...small world is right!

Yeah Altered Atmosphere is right in my area, as is TurboXS. There are lots of excellent Scooby tuners around here...it's almost too bad I didn't get one but it was just to small for me.

I figured he had to be heavy so I guess the 200 lb extra is why he wasn't able to pull on me at all. That would certainly make the difference. Without that he probably would have walked away from me. What kind of mods does he have on his Scooby? Give him props for me too

Oh yeah, tell him I'm sorry for pelting him with my hi-beams the whole time, but it's what I have to do in this area to keep retards from hitting me and making blind lane changes without looking. (if I'm blinding them with hi-beams, that means they actually SEE me. hehe )
Old 03-19-2002, 03:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

lol...no way! thanks, hogan. hahaha...small world is right!

Yeah Altered Atmosphere is right in my area, as is TurboXS. There are lots of excellent Scooby tuners around here...it's almost too bad I didn't get one but it was just to small for me.

I figured he had to be heavy so I guess the 200 lb extra is why he wasn't able to pull on me at all. That would certainly make the difference. Without that he probably would have walked away from me. What kind of mods does he have on his Scooby? Give him props for me too

Oh yeah, tell him I'm sorry for pelting him with my hi-beams the whole time, but it's what I have to do in this area to keep retards from hitting me and making blind lane changes without looking. (if I'm blinding them with hi-beams, that means they actually SEE me. hehe )
Now just imagine the outcome had you been modded. Time to get busy my friend.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
He's mostly stock, and I think he did some testing of the INJEN CAI, and he is awaiting a downpipe w/ a full titanium 3" exhaust, he has the SAMCO hoses on the car, had the ACT Clutch, Turbo XS BOV in the trunk, a few GReddy gauges, and a few things he had to bring to NY for Fizz Autosports.

He just says he was surprised, and had too many items in the back of the car to really push, but he did try, and said he'll run me when he's got his mods, since I'm pushing 100shot now, and have another motor that is almost done
hehe...good enough

I forgot to mention that I had probably about a 50lb box worth of furniture fresh from a store in the trunk so I was pretty heavy too. hehe
Old 03-19-2002, 07:25 AM

Yo Yo Yo

its_ok, I wasn't aware you lived in the Washington Metropolitian area. I'm having a hard time finding a local shop to install an AE kit on my 2K1 SE. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve nice run, any plans on slightly modding your new ride?
Old 03-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure your 1st cosmetic mod will be clear corners, make them bright all the time with that 95/96 corner light mod, like an extra pair of headlights

That's the main reason I did mine. Make sure all those dim witted drivers SEE me even with just my parking lights on

DW

. . . .pelting him with my hi-beams the whole time, but it's what I have to do in this area to keep retards from hitting me and making blind lane changes without looking. (if I'm blinding them with hi-beams, that means they actually SEE me. hehe )
Old 03-19-2002, 02:24 PM

On the highway WRX arent the monsters you think they are, a Max shouldnt have a problem or even slightly edging them at highway speeds.