General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Rewiring corners to make brighter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Rewiring corners to make brighter

I know there is a way to make the corners in a 97 brighter, and I have read the directions on them, but I still do not understand how to do it. Can anyone help me out? thanks
Old 03-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
I know there is a way to make the corners in a 97 brighter, and I have read the directions on them, but I still do not understand how to do it. Can anyone help me out? thanks
Remove the bulb from your clearance light assembly.
Take a pair of scissors or sharp knife & cut the top most nub (nipple) off the bulb.
Re-install the bulb & you are done!
Old 03-17-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

Originally posted by dashingMax

Take a pair of scissors or sharp knife & cut the top most nub (nipple) off the bulb.
Does this work for 95-96? Thanks ahead
Jules
Old 03-17-2002, 10:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

I don't believe it does.. Do a search on this. I think to do it on a 95-96 there is a different process.

Originally posted by jules

Does this work for 95-96? Thanks ahead
Jules
Old 03-17-2002, 10:42 PM

Excuse my ignorance but ... is this for the light right next to the headlight?
Old 03-17-2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Excuse my ignorance but ... is this for the light right next to the headlight?
That would be correct, unless I am also mistaken.
Jules
Old 03-17-2002, 10:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

That would be correct, unless I am also mistaken.
Jules
what I did was solder the wire from one post to the other to make it run dual filiment
Old 03-17-2002, 11:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

Originally posted by Nismo

what I did was solder the wire from one post to the other to make it run dual filiment
Cool, this I will have to try. Thanks
Old 03-17-2002, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

Cool, this I will have to try. Thanks
the instructions I used was on www.maximadriver.com under rewire corner lights so maybe check that out
Old 03-18-2002, 02:09 AM

Whoa! That's a LOT brighter!!! Does this ever cause problems with other drivers or the police?

OK, it took me about 10 minutes to pop out the first one, because Chilton's just said undo the top screw and pull forward, nothing about that ball socket on the bottom so I didn't know what was sticking. I read Cheston's info and then it was easy. The second one took 3 minutes to do the whole thing. Also, on the first one, I thought the nub referred to one of the bulb's electrodes, so I put some tape over one and then the other to figure out the connection, then realized the nub meant the upper mounting piece on the side. I used a needle file to take it down, about a minute of work; much easier than trying to cut it off (I did try that first) because it's so small. If I decide it's too bright, I can always switch back now in 5 minutes. One of the few times I've appreciated having a '97 instead of a '96; this almost makes up for the later ECU ...
Old 03-18-2002, 05:45 AM

Whoa! That's a LOT brighter!!! Does this ever cause problems with other drivers or the police?
God no. It looks NORMAL is all. The reason it looked ugly before this mod is because those lights, on the 95's, used to actually blink. SO Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, when they decided to not have those lights blink on a turn (which they probably shouldn't have done; it's hard to see those bumper lights) just left the dual filliment there in the "off" position, so to speak. You can either solder or clip the bulb and turn. Makes no difference, as far as I can tell. Easier to clip.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:52 AM

Lime >>

Originally posted by Lime
God no. It looks NORMAL is all. The reason it looked ugly before this mod is because those lights, on the 95's, used to actually blink. SO Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, when they decided to not have those lights blink on a turn (which they probably shouldn't have done; it's hard to see those bumper lights) just left the dual filliment there in the "off" position, so to speak. You can either solder or clip the bulb and turn. Makes no difference, as far as I can tell. Easier to clip.
Actually, on '95 and '96's those lamps don't blink. They come on solid when you flick the turn signal to give more light around the corner when turning. They are only supposed to be on when turning. When on all the time, they cause a bit too much glare to drivers moving perpendicular to you.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:00 AM

Re: Lime >>

Originally posted by Albertt

Actually, on '95 and '96's those lamps don't blink. They come on solid when you flick the turn signal to give more light around the corner when turning. They are only supposed to be on when turning. When on all the time, they cause a bit too much glare to drivers moving perpendicular to you.
On my old SHO, those lights turned on when the blinkers were set to turn a particular direction, but didn't blink; more like directional supplemental headlamps. Right now they look even brighter than my headlights! I could see them being a nuisance to other drivers alongside. We'll see if I flip them back ...

I'd rather have brighter foglights.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Rewiring corners to make brighter

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
OK, they are brighter ... MUCH brighter. Is there any way to make them more directional, so send the light forward instead of to the side? Or to cut off the top of the light so it hits the road but not the driver to the side? Maybe a deflection shield for the bulb, or silver paint on the top ... ?
Old 03-18-2002, 08:16 PM

OK, they are brighter ... MUCH brighter. Is there any way to make them more directional, so send the light forward instead of to the side? Or to cut off the top of the light so it hits the road but not the driver to the side? Maybe a deflection shield for the bulb, or silver paint on the top ... ?
Ideally you would need a reflector lens that houses the bulb.
Your best bet, if you do not wish to throw light sideways, is to paint one side (the one which faces outward) with some high temperature black paint.

If, I were you, I'd leave it the way it is...
I've had that setup for a few months now & no one has given me any complaining looks. It just makes you more visible from the sides...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:59 PM

I've had that setup for a few months now & no one has given me any complaining looks. It just makes you more visible from the sides...
Maybe it bugs me that the side light now looks brighter than my headlight! Time for new bulbs ....
Old 03-18-2002, 09:16 PM

Ideally you would need a reflector lens that houses the bulb.
Your best bet, if you do not wish to throw light sideways, is to paint one side (the one which faces outward) with some high temperature black paint.

Can someone tell me if it works on a 98 Max and where do you cut?
umm... I am confused about what the light bulb nipple is!

PS
It will make it illigal if it shines very bright light to the side
Old 03-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

*sigh* i finally did it. nubbed my PIAA Xtreme Whites and now it looks so much brighter... me likey!