General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5th gen ecu different from 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 05:09 AM

Is the screw on a 5th gen ecu different than a 4th?>>>

I read andi's maxfaqs about a screw on my ecu to turn after I pop off a black cover, but I only see two holes covered with tape and a screw that looks like its holding the ecu in place. I'd show a pic but I'm waiting for my new digicam to arrive in the mail.

so are one of the two holes covered by tape, the hole that has the screw I need to turn or is the 4th gen ecu placed differently from the 5th gen?
Thanks,
bone
Old 11-21-2000, 07:15 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Is the screw on a 5th gen ecu different than a 4th?>>>

My 1999 ECU has two holes too. One is for the reset, the other one is to adjust the idle speed. Guess, my 1999 has a 2000 ECU.

Originally posted by Gr8bone
I read andi's maxfaqs about a screw on my ecu to turn after I pop off a black cover, but I only see two holes covered with tape and a screw that looks like its holding the ecu in place. I'd show a pic but I'm waiting for my new digicam to arrive in the mail.

so are one of the two holes covered by tape, the hole that has the screw I need to turn or is the 4th gen ecu placed differently from the 5th gen?
Thanks,
bone
Old 11-21-2000, 07:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Is the screw on a 5th gen ecu different than a 4th?>>>

Thanks,
bone
I believe the middle one is the reset hole. I had a bad experience trying to reset the ECU, so I don't recommend doing this yourself (had to get my keys reprogrammed). I'm not exactly sure if it'll happen to you, but IMHO it's in your best interest to take it to the dealer if unplugging the battery doesn't turn off the indicator light you had a problem with.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Is the screw on a 5th gen ecu different than a 4th?>>>

Good advice...its at the dealer now.

So you just poked through the tape? I wonder if its there so the dealer knows if it was tampered with, or they don't care.

1max2nv, I'll post a pic of mine so you can see if its like yours...maybe I got a '99 ecu

I believe the middle one is the reset hole. I had a bad experience trying to reset the ECU, so I don't recommend doing this yourself (had to get my keys reprogrammed). I'm not exactly sure if it'll happen to you, but IMHO it's in your best interest to take it to the dealer if unplugging the battery doesn't turn off the indicator light you had a problem with. [/I]
Old 11-21-2000, 07:57 AM

I think both of our 99s have the 2k ecu due to the fact we have CA emissions...
Which on the 99's like you prob have found out is the same as the 2k CA emissions system...
Old 11-21-2000, 08:04 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Is the screw on a 5th gen ecu different than a 4th?>>>

Good advice...its at the dealer now.

So you just poked through the tape? I wonder if its there so the dealer knows if it was tampered with, or they don't care.

1max2nv, I'll post a pic of mine so you can see if its like yours...maybe I got a '99 ecu
I peeled the tape off, but not to the point where I can't put it back on and have it not noticeable. Once you peel it off, it won't stick as great as it did. I agree with you on the tampering part of it... don't want stupid people messing with their ECU's and reseting the key code right?

The dealer I went to didn't mention it, but they probably knew...