General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Too much Turbo hype?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 02:45 AM
OG :)

Too much Turbo hype?

What's the big advantage of a turbo for the VQ over an supercharger is what I am pondering.

Albeit the Stillen S/C V2 kit has a well documented pulley "melting" problem.

Well the fitment with the windshield washer filler could be better on the 5th gen manuals too. *sigh

JWT's prototype turbo kit put outs 300 crank hp in Motor Trend on a 2k-2k1 5th gen and that's in the area Stillen kit will match in a stock 2k-2k1, about an extra 95 horsepower. In short, possibly lots of torque steer.

Plus 4th gen's, both auto and manual have ran low 13's with the supercharger. People can obtain 9 lbs. off boost running smaller pullies.

It's gear-driven, therefore very quiet with stock muffler. Also a centrifugal-style so bascially a belt-driven turbocharger. Boost kicks in off the line near 30 mph (especially 3-6k RPM range) over a stock Max, which isn't like a type Roots-style that hits from idle but more like a turbo that spools.

Stillen's V2 kit is about 4k$ with blow-off valve, required plumbing, fuel pressure regulator and warranty on the mass-produced supercharger. A turbo kit would need an intercooler, reprogrammed ECU, wastegate which increase cost over a s/c.

What do the "new turbo kit(s)" add over a V2 supercharger kit? Just curious for feedback.

Kenneth
Old 03-18-2002, 05:13 AM
Ramius83

Well, just think about it this way.

Nigel has yet to dyno his car with the turbo, but get this, he is only running at 4 psi. If he is getting 65-75 hp on the 4psi setup, then that is awesome. A supercharger with a regular pulley or slightly smaller pulley puts out about 7 psi of boost, but you still only get about 65-70 hp. So in reality, it is less stress on the engine.

It is true that turbos are more work and more maintenance prone, but come on, how many people around here have a turbo in their max, maybe three, tops. But take into consideration how many have superchargers, 20+. These peeps are really being different and want something unique.

And I don't know if you were kidding are not, but Maximas don't have torque steer lololol. I am not flaming you, so please don't think that.

Old 03-18-2002, 05:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

actually

nigel has dynoed it. 260 hp 270 tq. @ 4psi boost. he will get the exhuast done soon and re-dyno. and to kenneth what sounds cooler supercharged max or turbocharged max?
Old 03-18-2002, 05:44 AM
Administrator

the BOV on a turbo sounds better and the Intercooler is fugging
Old 03-18-2002, 05:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

assuming you change the internals (pistons etc), you can get more results with turbo over time...change the turbo size, etc. SC can only go so far with pulley sizes.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

its cause of all the recent hype. I had my turbo kit for 2 years and i never got this much attention...im sure Nigel is loving it! haha

anyways, there are many advantages and disadvantages to a turbo vs supercharger. it all comes down to your preference. I have always liked turbos more then superchargers. much more tuning abilityI could go down listing all the differences and comparasions but that would take awhile.

centrifigual blower is more like a turbo where it builds boost with rpm. Roots type has more torque off the line but runs out of breath up top.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

thats because Nigel car works

and he doesn't slack on shift boots

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
its cause of all the recent hype. I had my turbo kit for 2 years and i never got this much attention...im sure Nigel is loving it! haha

anyways, there are many advantages and disadvantages to a turbo vs supercharger. it all comes down to your preference. I have always liked turbos more then superchargers. much more tuning abilityI could go down listing all the differences and comparasions but that would take awhile.

centrifigual blower is more like a turbo where it builds boost with rpm. Roots type has more torque off the line but runs out of breath up top.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:46 AM

IN A NUTSHELL

Advantages of Stillen S/C:
CARB Approval, Ease of installation, less maintence, proven reliability.

Advantages of Turbo:
More variety of parts, higher possible max boost, and the most important MUCH FASTER SPOOL UP.

Right now I get max boost at 5500 or something, with a good BB Turbo one could max boost ~3,000 RPM. Although the peak HP would be the same, the turbo would put out A WHOLE LOT more power from 2500-5000, so in a nutshell the turbo will offer more performance whiel the SC will offer more reliability, predictability, etc.

And for the blow off valve, it's just the Blitz that sounds bad, the Greddy on mine sounds pretty good. Also, I plan on intercooling my S/c before the Summer!
Old 03-18-2002, 02:48 PM
OG :)

appreciated

thanks for the feedback to all. both sounds like some sick options, in a good way

kenneth
Old 03-18-2002, 04:06 PM

Re: appreciated

Originally posted by Kenneth
thanks for the feedback to all. both sounds like some sick options, in a good way

kenneth
as long as you got the dough....

SuDZ