General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

El Cheapo cold air mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 12:57 PM

El Cheapo cold air mod

Last week I posted about a $5 cold air mod I did, and someone asked for pictures, so here they are.
http://www.stickman-escrima.com/misc/Maxintake3-02a.JPG
http://www.stickman-escrima.com/misc/Maxintake3-02b.JPG

This mod works great; my engine bay gets hot, but the intake and MAF are cold to the touch. What I did is put my stock air intake ram on the car, then went to the hardware store and got a dryer vent flex hose. These are trick, reflecting engine heat away, and flexible enough to direct the cold air right to the spot you want. These are 4" diameter, 5' length, made of reflective heat resistant aluminum foil on a wire coil. I slid this as far onto the intake as I could, up to where the down pipe to the resonator box goes (I capped that off to keep the air flow in one direction). From the end of the intake plumbing, I ran the hose around to the front of my Weapon R foam intake, which is also open on the end. However, it worked just as well (heck, maybe better!) to just put the end of the dryer hose flush against the side of the intake (for those with K&N filters) so the cold air is closer to the MAF intake. Mine is just wedged between the intake support bracket and battery. It doesn't move; there are no fasteners. These hoses bend anyway you want but don't compress that well, so I didn't even bother clamping the end near the radiator. I don't think any hot air gets through between the plastic intake and the coils, especially compared to the flow through the intake.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:32 PM

Notice any difference?

SuDZ
Old 03-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just seeing that makes me want to throw some clothes in the dryer.

J/K
Old 03-18-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Notice any difference?

SuDZ
About an extra 20 hp. Like I said, the intake and MAF feel cold to the touch. Before they seemed warmer from the air temp under the hood. I can't say how much it helps ... but it certainly doesn't hurt! I just don't feel like cutting a hole for a CAI, so ...
Old 03-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by deezo
Just seeing that make me want to throw some clothes in the dryer.
J/K
ROFLMAO
Old 03-19-2002, 06:23 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Re: El Cheapo cold air mod

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
Last week I posted about a $5 cold air mod I did, and someone asked for pictures, so here they are.
http://www.stickman-escrima.com/misc/Maxintake3-02a.JPG
http://www.stickman-escrima.com/misc/Maxintake3-02b.JPG

This mod works great; my engine bay gets hot, but the intake and MAF are cold to the touch. What I did is put my stock air intake ram on the car, then went to the hardware store and got a dryer vent flex hose. These are trick, reflecting engine heat away, and flexible enough to direct the cold air right to the spot you want. These are 4" diameter, 5' length, made of reflective heat resistant aluminum foil on a wire coil. I slid this as far onto the intake as I could, up to where the down pipe to the resonator box goes (I capped that off to keep the air flow in one direction). From the end of the intake plumbing, I ran the hose around to the front of my Weapon R foam intake, which is also open on the end. However, it worked just as well (heck, maybe better!) to just put the end of the dryer hose flush against the side of the intake (for those with K&N filters) so the cold air is closer to the MAF intake. Mine is just wedged between the intake support bracket and battery. It doesn't move; there are no fasteners. These hoses bend anyway you want but don't compress that well, so I didn't even bother clamping the end near the radiator. I don't think any hot air gets through between the plastic intake and the coils, especially compared to the flow through the intake.
I got the same hose! a magic item! mine goes from the airbox (still got it!) go the left headlight (i took the front of the stock intake out)
Old 03-19-2002, 08:04 AM

How effective is the stock ram air piece do you think? I mean in terms of air velocity, quantity?
Old 03-19-2002, 01:00 PM

stock ram intake

Originally posted by Str8ridin
How effective is the stock ram air piece do you think? I mean in terms of air velocity, quantity?
Well, I didn't want to take out a fog light or do anything like that. All I can say is the intake is cold to the touch with this setup when the rest of the engine compartment is warm, so it is getting air in there. After all, the car does run stock. I think I'd try this even if I had the stock air cleaner box on, since the intake running past the engine picks up heat.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:18 PM

I did the same sort of thing to my intake a couple of weeks ago, just not as complete. Pics at my homepage on page 2
Old 03-19-2002, 01:33 PM

You know, OriginalMadMax, you have the right idea. It's not just being scared to drill a hole in your fender, but bringing the cold air to your filter just makes so much more sense! CAI look nice, albeit inucts colder air, but looses out because of the bend and lenghth of the pipe. It's possible that any of the gains attained by the colder air in the fender are negated by the longer tube and bends. It may sound nice, but it's probably performing just as well as the cone filter does. That has been proven at the track.

But bringing the cold air to the cone filter set-up doesn't have any drawbacks! Now all you need is a heatshield and you'll be all set!
Old 03-19-2002, 01:47 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

You know, OriginalMadMax, you have the right idea. It's not just being scared to drill a hole in your fender, but bringing the cold air to your filter just makes so much more sense! CAI look nice, albeit inucts colder air, but looses out because of the bend and lenghth of the pipe. It's possible that any of the gains attained by the colder air in the fender are negated by the longer tube and bends. It may sound nice, but it's probably performing just as well as the cone filter does. That has been proven at the track.

But bringing the cold air to the cone filter set-up doesn't have any drawbacks! Now all you need is a heatshield and you'll be all set!
i'm thinking that if i put k&n drop in fifter in the stock box, and my hohe brongs this cool air to it, ai should be seeing just about same gains as having the hose hext to the cone filter and heatshield. In any case, my next thing is to replace the stock air box with a custom one with cone filter in it. my brain is processing the box details now, as to its shape, and material. i'm plannunt to make it as big as the space allows.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by dmBK

i'm thinking that if i put k&n drop in fifter in the stock box, and my hohe brongs this cool air to it, ai should be seeing just about same gains as having the hose hext to the cone filter and heatshield. In any case, my next thing is to replace the stock air box with a custom one with cone filter in it. my brain is processing the box details now, as to its shape, and material. i'm plannunt to make it as big as the space allows.
Amsoil claims their filter flows more than K&N. Since it's a replacement for the stock filter, probably comparing to the K&N drop in too. Might want to consider that, since it filters better. Oh, it's also foam.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:36 PM

Air flow

This might give a clue - I did an Amsoil engine flush and oil change today. During the engine flush, the car idles for about 20-30 minutes. My intake and MAF got nice and hot (not warm, HOT) doing that. In contrast, while I'm driving, these stay cool while the engine gets hot. That indicates there is a nice air flow.