General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My car feels like a boat! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:27 PM

My car feels like a boat! Need advice

Alright, this is hard to describe, but my car has felt very unconfident lately. It all seemed to have started when I put the trailer hitch on. Its all over the road, sometimes it pulls left but most of the time it pulls right.

I plan on getting an alignment ~more money :-(. I have stock SE suspension, Addco RSB and a FSTB. I wonder if my struts are blown. At 70,000 miles I wouldnt be surprised.

Regarding the trailer hitch- the thing is only 30-40 pounds or so, and I'm running without a spare tire. And, the rear fender has the same amount of gap as it did before. So the weight really isnt any different then before, and I've had my car fully loaded with 5 people in the car and its never felt this way before.

The only other possible explanation I can come up with, is if just this past weekend by towing a trailer it blew my rear struts which were already on their way out. But why this would affect alignment I'd never know.

If I'm bored tomorow, I plan to yank the hitch to see if it makes any difference.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How heavy is the trailer? Look at the mechanical role the trailer is playing:
You load that baby up and the front of your car gets lighter because the rear axle is acting as a pivot for a seesaw. When you have 5 people in your car, they are positioned between the front and rear wheels distributing the weight properly allowing the car to be stable.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-21-2002, 05:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This one is an easy fix...

Install KYB AGX's on all 4 corners

And your boat will come out of the water!
Old 03-21-2002, 06:09 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, sound like you have one or more blown struts. On of the stock struts that I put back on my 97 before selling it blew, and the ride felt just like what you're describing.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:16 AM
Very sound, Mike

i'm curious...

How exactly can someone know if the strut is blown by a visual inspection?

I can feel my struts become a bit bouncy at times, yet in certain times it's also bone shattering when riding over less-than-average roads. (As opposed to a slightly more cushioned feel when i first got the car)

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: i'm curious...

Originally posted by soundmike
How exactly can someone know if the strut is blown by a visual inspection?

I can feel my struts become a bit bouncy at times, yet in certain times it's also bone shattering when riding over less-than-average roads. (As opposed to a slightly more cushioned feel when i first got the car)

Thanks.
Visually look for oil leaking out of the top of the strut housings right where the piston comes out. The corner bump test is another way to see if your struts are soft. Just get the car bouncing by pressing on the corners hard and let go. It should stop bouncing immediately. That indicates a good strut. If the bounce continues once or twice, then there getting a bit soft. (Quick note: You can't even get the car to start bouncing with AGx's )

Soundmike, Keep in mind you don't have to wait until your struts are blown to upgrade your suspension. If your ride is less then what your looking for, as your clearly stating, then save up a few $$$ and get some nice struts and shocks for your car. Of course I'll say KYB AGX's but the GR2's are great as well and a bit less costly. Tokicos are another good choice as long as your not lowered to much. I'm sure the Tok's would give a great ride on stock springs, AGX's give a very firm yet smooth and quiet ride on stock springs. They are stiffer then the Toks. and I think provide excellent overall handling.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: i'm curious...

Thanks!

Actually i only have 6k miles on my 2k2 SE so i might have them look at it under warranty (dealer that is). I already have springs waiting to be installed (e.g. waiting for AGX hehehe)

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Visually look for oil leaking out of the top of the strut housings right where the piston comes out. The corner bump test is another way to see if your struts are soft. Just get the car bouncing by pressing on the corners hard and let go. It should stop bouncing immediately. That indicates a good strut. If the bounce continues once or twice, then there getting a bit soft. (Quick note: You can't even get the car to start bouncing with AGx's )

Soundmike, Keep in mind you don't have to wait until your struts are blown to upgrade your suspension. If your ride is less then what your looking for, as your clearly stating, then save up a few $$$ and get some nice struts and shocks for your car. Of course I'll say KYB AGX's but the GR2's are great as well and a bit less costly. Tokicos are another good choice as long as your not lowered to much. I'm sure the Tok's would give a great ride on stock springs, AGX's give a very firm yet smooth and quiet ride on stock springs. They are stiffer then the Toks. and I think provide excellent overall handling.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:32 PM

This one is an easy fix...

Install KYB AGX's on all 4 corners

And your boat will come out of the water!
Yup I was gonna say the same thing. Just get AGX's, it solved most of my handling/boat problems.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by deezo
How heavy is the trailer? Look at the mechanical role the trailer is playing:
You load that baby up and the front of your car gets lighter because the rear axle is acting as a pivot for a seesaw. When you have 5 people in your car, they are positioned between the front and rear wheels distributing the weight properly allowing the car to be stable.

Does that make sense?
Yes, but I am not towing a trailer at the moment. Infact when I did tow the trailer, it was only for the parade and was empty except for 2 PA speakers.

Its just that ever since I put that trailer hitch on, the car feels all awkward and wanting to steer itself. I want to get upgraded suspension regardless, as it'll make the car handle better with and without a trailer.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:32 PM

Re: My car feels like a boat! Need advice

Inspect your wheelwells for blown shock oil. I had a similar problem about 2 months ago, even went and got the car realigned (I love the lifetime deal at Firestone - make 'em work for it!) I still had the problem, and finally when I saw the strut oil I pulled that corner and the shaft was bent. That meant the wheel changed alignment constantly ...
Old 03-21-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: i'm curious...

What is almost certain to be found is torn boots on the front struts, they were horrible and whoever supplied Nissan shoulda been canned. But ah Nissan probably saved a bundle. Once they're torn stuff can get in that shouldn't have. Aggravating when these rubber parts fail in the 30k mileage range. Hopefully a different co. supplied the CV boots.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: i'm curious...

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

What is almost certain to be found is torn boots on the front struts, they were horrible and whoever supplied Nissan shoulda been canned. But ah Nissan probably saved a bundle. Once they're torn stuff can get in that shouldn't have. Aggravating when these rubber parts fail in the 30k mileage range. Hopefully a different co. supplied the CV boots.
Oh yea, my front ones are toast. Funny cause I changed my suspenson on my 90 toyota camry at 150k miles, and its rubber boots were still OK for reuse. I think KYB sells replacement boots dont they?