General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shift Light/Buzzer installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Shift Light/Buzzer installed

Well, since it looks like I won't be needing the Harlan RPM switch for the Variable Intake , I may as well use it for a shift light. Followed the MaximaDriver.com's How2 to hook up the Tach line...not too bad; I was afraid the whole front dash had to come off! In any case, since I didn't get the stock LED with the switch, I used this blue 12V/5W LED that I got for free from an Ebayer. Although not blindingly bright, even in broad daylight it is noticeable. I have 35% tint and normally keep the sunroof closed in the summer--so that helps. Still, I do wish it were brighter...but I do love the fact that it is inconspicuous. Merely drilled a hole in the unused control cover next to the dimmer switch. Looks OEM!!! It also does look blue-er in person than the pics would let on.

Not being satisfied with the visibility, I took the great idea from the recent "Who uses a Shift Light" thread and decided to add sound. The local Radio Shack had just the ticket. Piezo Buzzer. It has low power requirements so won't fry your Harlan, is plenty loud, and is a nice 3.5Hz "beep beep..." as opposed to a constant annoying tone. In my opinion, just the right sound to set the mood of urgency instead of sheer burglar alarm panic. Just put the thing in parallel with your shift light. I happen to stash the buzzer and the Harlan in the shiftbox. The Harlan is easy to set because it is so accessible, and from the pic, you can see the buzzer zip-tied right next to it.

The sound and the light together is a wonderful combo. For the extra $6 it costs for the buzzer, you all have to give it a try! If you have a Harlan, get the one I got. They also have slightly louder ones but they are also 150mA vs. 6mA that this one uses. It is plenty loud...81dB at 30cm/12VDC. I can easily hear it over my normal listening levels of the sweet sounds of Trance. Because I don't always redline, the buzzer will be unobtrusive in normal driving...
Old 03-23-2002, 04:43 PM

Re: Shift Light/Buzzer installed

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Well, since it looks like I won't be needing the Harlan RPM switch for the Variable Intake , I may as well use it for a shift light. Followed the MaximaDriver.com's How2 to hook up the Tach line...not too bad; I was afraid the whole front dash had to come off! In any case, since I didn't get the stock LED with the switch, I used this blue 12V/5W LED that I got for free from an Ebayer. Although not blindingly bright, even in broad daylight it is noticeable. I have 35% tint and normally keep the sunroof closed in the summer--so that helps. Still, I do wish it were brighter...but I do love the fact that it is inconspicuous. Merely drilled a hole in the unused control cover next to the dimmer switch. Looks OEM!!! It also does look blue-er in person than the pics would let on.

Not being satisfied with the visibility, I took the great idea from the recent "Who uses a Shift Light" thread and decided to add sound. The local Radio Shack had just the ticket. Piezo Buzzer. It has low power requirements so won't fry your Harlan, is plenty loud, and is a nice 3.5Hz "beep beep..." as opposed to a constant annoying tone. In my opinion, just the right sound to set the mood of urgency instead of sheer burglar alarm panic. Just put the thing in parallel with your shift light. I happen to stash the buzzer and the Harlan in the shiftbox. The Harlan is easy to set because it is so accessible, and from the pic, you can see the buzzer zip-tied right next to it.

The sound and the light together is a wonderful combo. For the extra $6 it costs for the buzzer, you all have to give it a try! If you have a Harlan, get the one I got. They also have slightly louder ones but they are also 150mA vs. 6mA that this one uses. It is plenty loud...81dB at 30cm/12VDC. I can easily hear it over my normal listening levels of the sweet sounds of Trance. Because I don't always redline, the buzzer will be unobtrusive in normal driving...
excellent idea and write up.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:11 PM
I need a truck

love the light ... looks sick
Old 03-23-2002, 06:18 PM

is a nice 3.5Hz "beep beep..." as opposed to a constant annoying tone.
Just to clarify, I'm not sure what the 3.5Hz actually means since it doesn't beep 3.5 times per second.

Specs on package:
Resonant Freq: 2800+/-500Hz
Pulse Rate: 3.5Hz+/-20%
Old 03-25-2002, 12:18 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hey. that's pretty spiffy.

you know, how you can record your voice in a little voice recording digitally and put it in like Gift Cards? well. you can record your mom or some girl saying "SHIFT GOD DAMMIT BEFORE I BEAT YOU" and have that go off. that might be enough motivation to shift gears.

ahh yes... the naggon.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Shift Light/Buzzer installed

Just to clarify, I'm not sure what the 3.5Hz actually means since it doesn't beep 3.5 times per second.

Specs on package:
Resonant Freq: 2800+/-500Hz
Pulse Rate: 3.5Hz+/-20%

3.5hz..is the frequency the noise is....its pretty high...
Old 03-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Shift Light/Buzzer installed

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

3.5hz..is the frequency the noise is....its pretty high...
3.5hz isn't the "pitch" and we can't hear that low anyway. The "pitch" is the resonant Freq of 2800+/-500Hz. The pulse rate of 3.5Hz+/-20% should be how many times per second it pulses. You would be able to hear the 3.5 pulses per second though Maybe one day I'll get a setup like yours Mishmosh, but for now I don't really see the point of spending the money on a shift light.
-hype