General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

how durable are the stillen front lips

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 01:03 AM

how durable are the stillen front lips

I was thinking about getting a stillen front lip, how durable are they? Every now and again I scrape the front of my car on the street coming out of a steep school parking lot. Also If you bump a cub when pulling in will it rip the lip back and off?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:24 AM

it is very strong. Im more worried about the paint rather than the lip breaking. If you are already scraping without a lip, then you will have major problems since the lip lowers the car about 2.5" or so.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they are very strong... I hit a curb after sliding on ice a while back and my lip lost a lot of the paint but only got a couple non-visable cracks. not bad if you think that it had 3000lbs of weight agaist it.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:09 AM

Strong Polyutherane material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strong enought that I ran over my front lip with my car when it flooded since I punched the gas and the water just ripped it right off, my neighbor told me hey look your bumper is floating right this way!! , This time I used bigger bolt and lots of 3M tape. wont come off now. You have to worry more about the paint then breaking it.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

They are really strong until you run them over on the highway, so I've read Make sure to fasten the lip on very securely. Throw away the tape Stillen provides and go to Home Depot and get the gray super adhesive 3M tape. With a 2" Intrax drop, I've got 7" of ground clearance in the front. I rarely scrap and if I do, it's on the bottom of the lip (who cares).

Dave
Old 03-28-2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
They are really strong until you run them over on the highway, so I've read Make sure to fasten the lip on very securely. Throw away the tape Stillen provides and go to Home Depot and get the gray super adhesive 3M tape. With a 2" Intrax drop, I've got 7" of ground clearance in the front. I rarely scrap and if I do, it's on the bottom of the lip (who cares).

Dave
thats weird. I have a 1.6" drop and when I measured from the corner of the lip (front of foglight) it measured 5 1/2 inches of ground clearance
Old 12-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

drops

I realize it has been a while, but I guess I'll put in my 2 cents.

thats weird. I have a 1.6" drop and when I measured from the corner of the lip (front of foglight) it measured 5 1/2 inches of ground clearance
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. I noticed that some people's cars are equal heights in front in back and have mad front clearance. My car (and I assume yours too) has about .5-1 inch more height in the back, making the front point down and eliminating clearance (I could barely get the jack out after lowering and I have no body kit).)
Old 12-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Blast from the past

Originally posted by Nismo Im more worried about the paint rather than the lip breaking.
When rubber pieces are being painted (lip, bumper covers, etc.) isn't the paint suppose to be mix with a additive that makes the paint flex a little when dried.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:24 AM

i dont have a body kit, but many people are perfectly fine with them, my only concern would be that you stated you scrap your front bumper sometimes, and thats stock, so dont get it or you will be in the paint shop 2 times a month, or just find a safer route to wherever you are going
Old 12-28-2002, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

Maybe the 97-99 front lips are lower than the 95-96?
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 PM

Does anyone with a Stillen lip have troubles getting a jack in from the front to the center beam to lift up the entire front end of the car?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

on my 2k. my stillen front lip has been very durable. The bottom of it is all scraped up from speed bumps and stuff but other than some paint scraping off there are no cracks. Like Dave B said, throw out that tape stillen sends and get some good 3M stuff and use screws on the bottom of the car to fasten it to the bumper. thing wont move. overall the urethane is very durable especially when compared with a fiberglass piece which crack with very little force.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by StygianMax
Does anyone with a Stillen lip have troubles getting a jack in from the front to the center beam to lift up the entire front end of the car?
When I had the Stillen kit installed, my 2.5 ton Jack would lightly scrape the bottom of my Stillen lip. But I had the Stillen front lip, with sprint lowering springs.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:20 PM

extremely durable. Get flex additive when you have it painted this will help with the flexing/scratching if you do hit anything with it. As for the actual lip cracking, i have no worries with urethane. Just Be careful.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:41 PM

Pretty durable. I went over a year and a ton of scrapes before finally cracking mine on a curb after I got my ground controls. It just split right in the middle of the lip. And the other guys are right, make sure you get a lot of flex additive added to the paint. The shop added a lot of flex to the paint, and my lip never had cracking paint even though the lip itself cracked, the paint did not. I saw a lot of other Stillen lips with the paint cracked and flaking off everywhere but the lip itself was fine.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:48 PM

Re: Blast from the past

Originally posted by CandiMan

When rubber pieces are being painted (lip, bumper covers, etc.) isn't the paint suppose to be mix with a additive that makes the paint flex a little when dried.
yes mine does have flex agent in the paint. I only have one part that shows a hair line crack on the corner of the lip but it was from a major hit that I got into while driving out a flooded driveway and I couldnt see the big 5 or so inch deep pothole that was filled with water.