General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Obtaining warranty repairs on Cattman Y-Pipe Flex section failures

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Obtaining warranty repairs on Cattman Y-Pipe Flex section failures

I can see there is a pattern of problems with the lined flexes we've been using. This hasn't become apparent until lately, but there's plainly something going on and that we'll need to do something about it.

As most are aware, we have used a lined flex in our stainless steel pipes to avoid the hissing noise caused by an unlined flex.

Apparently the liner in some flexes is becoming disconnected from where it is crimped at the front of the flex and then getting bunched up as the exhaust drives it back.

In some cases, we have seen damage to flexes as the result of backing the exhaust into something or bad motor mounts. I suspect that weak motor mounts are playing a role in some of the problems we see now, but obviously the problem is affecting almost new cars, so that is not always the case.

We stand behind our product warranty and will replace flexes that have failed due to the liner coming loose. We reserve the right to inspect each case for other causes, but the lining failure issue discussed in current threads would fall under the category of "materials failure".

This may turn out to be a significant problem (in terms of #s), but we will do our best to get everything turned around as quickly as possible. I have already lined up resources for the repair services that I did not have a few days ago, and we will have the capability to fix all pipes currently under warranty at no charge. There will be no need to send Cattman pipes to the competitors for repair. For those who would prefer have the work done locally and not be seperated from their Y-pipes, I will send a flex along with a check that is equal to my labor costs for the installation (still trying to determine that amount).

Some have suggested that this is a design shortcoming. That is plainly not the case. Its is a matter of a some flex section subcomponents being of inferior construction, and that is becoming apparent quite some time after the fact. I will note that the vast majority of Y-pipes out there continue to operate just as they should with no flex section issues.

I'm very sorry for all the inconvenience this has caused. Obviously I would have preferred it not occurred from everyone's standpoint. We pay about $50/each for these flex sections, so it has not been a matter of doing this on the cheap. I have also found another source of flex sections and the repaired pipes, as well as future pipes, will feature the new part as soon as we can get a batch delivered.

If you have this problem please contact me directly at cattmanperformance@earthlink.net, even if you have contacted me already, and I will provide instructions for arranging the return of the products for repair.

This couldn't have come at a worse time, in the sense that we are arranging entirely new fabrication services for building y-pipes so that we can move beyond issues like this and the recent large batch of pipes that had a fitment issue.

We look forward to resolving the flex problems and offering a new, more affordable Y-pipe product that we are proud to sell and the customer can be confident to own.

Brian C. Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 03-24-2002, 01:20 PM

That is good to hear. My Y-Pipe was only on the car for 2 weeks before it failed, and I have spent nearly $1,000 trying to diagnose what was wrong with the car. Nobody expected flex pipe failure was causing the major loss in power until it was finally pulled and looked at. My car has spent weeks at two dealers and one very well known Nissan performance shop. My motor mounts are fine, and there were no contributing factors to the failure that could be found.

Balanced Performance has already sent it back and I hope that the new section is stronger so that this won't be a recurring problem.

I appreciate your response to the problem and I think that other than the flex pipe and fitment issues that the Cattman is obviously the best design for making power compared to others that have seen first hand.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

It's nice to see vendors actively addressing issues and standing behind their products
Old 03-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally posted by SteVTEC
It's nice to see vendors actively addressing issues and standing behind their products
Well, as some can imagine, this is the ultimate nightmare in this business. But we have no choice except to make things right, please bear with us.

BCC
Old 03-24-2002, 09:06 PM

I'm glad that this is finally going to be resolved.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:06 PM
RBa

I am going to check out my y-pipe tomm..
Just a question, do I need my receipt or does cattman still have me on record??
Old 03-25-2002, 12:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Re: Re: Flex section failures

I don't include the return address because we like to pre-authorize all returns, make sure owner identification is included, etc.

What I'd prefer to do is have the customer follow this routine if they've found a flex liner problem with their pipe:

1. contact me at cattmanperformance@earthlink.net, describe the problem ("doesn't seem to have enough power and I'm sure its the flex", is not what I'm looking for -- this process begins at the point where the customer can visibly confirm that the flex lining has come loose and is restricting the opening), and either confirm and invoice number or provide enough information for me to look it up. Until the magnitude of the issue becomes apparent, I am only repairing pipes that are within the one-year warranty period.
2. I will send the authorized names over to Lorie at my ordering service, and advise the customer to contact her so that a call tag can be arranged (we pay the freight both directions).
3. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a good replacement flex section.
4. Call tag pickup, repair in Tucson, return to customer.

Yes, I know installation costs will be incurred, and no, I cannot cover any expenses beyond shipment and repair of the defective flex sections. And, all of this said, we still reserve the right to inspect for the cause of the damage and to refuse warranty coverage if the problem is due to non-warranty related causes.

Finally, this is far from a universal problem. I'd note that I removed my y-pipe to check it out. Its been on for quite a while and the very short flex on it is absolutely intact on the inside. I've had it on for two years.

Brian C. Catts
Cattman Performance

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
What is your return address brian? I had trouble finding it on your site.