General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another brake upgrade option???-->

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 10:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Since Slyline brakes are though the roof and 300z brakes are hard to fit due to wheel clearance, how about this?

SCC did a test on an Honda brake upgrade using the stock calipers. How? They used a larger rotor and then used a custom caliper bracket to accomodate the larger rotor.

How would that improve braking? Well theory is by placing the caliper further away from the rotor, it has more leverage or something. ( I can't remember exactly, someone elaborate here) But it did improve the braking. Now I assume we could just find a OEM 5-lug that's larger and then the only custom part would be the bracket which I assume would be no big deal(as far as I can see from other custom brackets I've seen) I also assume that better pads would be necessary as I'm sure more heat is gonna be generated.

Is this better than the 300z conversion? I have no idea. The 300z uses more force(and larger pads?) to achieve better braking.

Sorry if we discussed this. My search didn't find anything.
Old 11-22-2000, 11:13 AM

Spacing out the calipers would provide better braking, simple physics. The kit you're referring to is made by AEM. Seems pretty nice. Aren't the Cali maxima guys trying to make a custom bracket for 300zx rotors? Or they were. If they ever do that, it could probably be adapted for stock calipers. Keep in mind that this idea probably wouldn't be cheap either. The AEM kits are around $500 and I don't see a custom setup costing that much less. And larger rotors are going to cause a wheel clearance issue anyways.

The 300zx conversion isn't that much different than stock. I have more ultimate braking power, but the feel is pretty much the same as stock. And they don't fade at all, but I'm still debating if it was worth the money. The 300zx does have larger pads and 4 pistons as opposed to the single piston maxima calipers.
Old 11-22-2000, 11:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks Shadow. Good info. If the 300z brakes were more fitment friendly (width-wise) it would be alot easier to consider. I don't know if my 17" mustang gt rims have enough clearance or not. I think alot of the costs for the AEM kit is for the 13"(I think) custom rotors. x-drilled etc... If we could find a eom rotor that fits and them build a custom bracket(no way to avoid this cost) around this existing rotor, I think it cut the cost down. This way it would give the buyer an option of using plain rotors or fancy slotted/drilled ones if they wish. Now which rotor is the key. 300z/Q45 are only 3mm larger.
Old 11-22-2000, 11:30 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Thanks Shadow. Good info. If the 300z brakes were more fitment friendly (width-wise) it would be alot easier to consider. I don't know if my 17" mustang gt rims have enough clearance or not. I think alot of the costs for the AEM kit is for the 13"(I think) custom rotors. x-drilled etc... If we could find a eom rotor that fits and them build a custom bracket(no way to avoid this cost) around this existing rotor, I think it cut the cost down. This way it would give the buyer an option of using plain rotors or fancy slotted/drilled ones if they wish. Now which rotor is the key. 300z/Q45 are only 3mm larger.
We could cross check different cars... if you look at http://www.fastbrakes.com, they are using 11" corrado rotors for the civics. They just fab a hub ring for the rotors. They then get new brackets to use with the larger calipers from civics with 10.3" rotors. From what I've heard, that kit is a monster... even with "stock" calipers. BTW they are also making a kit to use with Wilwood calipers, which are 4 pistons for the once they are using.

-Shing