General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

In which order do you install the Stillen kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In which order do you install the Stillen kit?

I got into a rather nasty accident ... so to help me brighten my mood ... I'm going to install my Stillen kit which has been cluttering up my place for about half a year.

Question though.

Do you install the kit first & then have it painted while it's on the car?

or ...

Do you paint it .. then install it?

My body shop said that it should be installed first .. & then he'll paint it ... sounds odd ...

Thoughts?

Tkx!
Old 03-28-2002, 06:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

he's going to paint it while it's on the car? Have you ever seen a red car that has a red overspary on the muffler and underbody. I think that looks like crap. IMO, a shop should take the parts off to paint them.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:37 PM

Paint then install. If the shop says otherwise, they have no idea what they're doing. Some claim that they need to blend/match the paint. But on something as small as a Stillen kit, it's not necessary. And like Nick says, they'd overspray everywhere trying to paint the kit on the car. It's like twice as much work prepping the car if they painted the kit on the car.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

True but

Everything that has been said is true, but with my experience with my Stillen kit was that I had to stretch and pull on some pieces and sand on others to get that snug perfect fit, now ask yourself do you want to do that to an already painted piece of plastic?

Just food for thought! You really can go either way.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:46 PM

Re: True but

The shop has to test fit it first. At least they're supposed to. With a Stillen kit, you can go either way. But if someone has a fiberglass kit, I would never paint it before test fitting everything.

Originally posted by nvmymax2
Everything that has been said is true, but with my experience with my Stillen kit was that I had to stretch and pull on some pieces and sand on others to get that snug perfect fit, now ask yourself do you want to do that to an already painted piece of plastic?

Just food for thought! You really can go either way.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: True but

Originally posted by nvmymax2
I had to stretch and pull on some pieces and sand on others to get that snug perfect fit, now ask yourself do you want to do that to an already painted piece of plastic?
This is why he wanted to have it installed first then painted ... I still don't know .. hmmm
Old 03-29-2002, 06:48 AM

heat it up first, test fit, prep the surface for painting, paint, test fit again, wet-sand out any dirt/stuff on the paint, install