General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Let's talk about flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let's talk about flywheels

I just received my ACT clutch yesterday (got unbelievable service and price from phuong @ gotrice racing... awesome guy).

Anyway, I stopped by the dealer to set up the install for monday. I spoke with the service manager and we talked a little bit about the ACT etc. He said that they had no problem installing it for me, but that if my current clutch is slipping (which it is) I should worry about the flywheel. He said if the flywheel had any "Hotspots" they wouldn't install the clutch withough a new flywheel as the ACT could get damaged by the older flywheel and he didn't want me having those problems.

Now I'm thinking about the flywheel. I inquired with him how much a nissan flywheel was - he said $350. Now I'm really not looking to spend this extra money, but if I need to, so be it. However, custommaxima sells a lightened flywheel for $509 and I know stillen has one (anyone know the going price?). If I have to get a replacement flywheel should I spring for the lightened one for $200 extra?

I'm interested in hearing any opinions on the matter as I'm not too knowledgable about flywheels etc. What will I gain with a lightened vs stock (other than a free-er revving engine) and will it help me at all if I stay N/A? I don't plan to ever go boost, *maybe* nitrous though.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Chris
Old 03-29-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: Let's talk about flywheels

dude, I just replaced my clutch, I put in a ACT clutch myself, and let me tell you semething, I thought my fly-wheel was gone, I mean, completly, well, it turns out that the only thing that i needed to do was to use sand paper to smooth it out and that's it, so if I were you I would not worry about it.

also, I work for nissan and I have seen them machine a flywheel, so that's another alternative and it wouldn't cost too much.

now I could be wrong and you could've afed your flywheel completly, but I doubt it.

Vinipux
Old 03-29-2002, 09:59 AM

I doubt you "need" a new flywheel

I think they are just pushing you to spend more money. The stock flywheel can be resurfaced. I believe it is either steel or cast iron. Either way, it's heavy and should absorb and hold in a lot of heat due to it's material and mass. Going with a lightened flywheel will cut the weight down by 40% or so and the decreased mass will cause the flywheel to overwhelmed with heat. This is why lightened flywheels are made from a stronger material that can take the heat even with the reduced mass. How many miles do you have and what year do you own? Maybe that is why the Nissan guy is urging you to get a replacement, he may thinkthe clutch went prematurely.

Well as far as options go Stillen sells one (mueller?), unorthodox racing does also (aasco?), and fidanza has one for the 99+ models.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: I doubt you "need" a new flywheel

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I think they are just pushing you to spend more money. The stock flywheel can be resurfaced. I believe it is either steel or cast iron. Either way, it's heavy and should absorb and hold in a lot of heat due to it's material and mass. Going with a lightened flywheel will cut the weight down by 40% or so and the decreased mass will cause the flywheel to overwhelmed with heat. This is why lightened flywheels are made from a stronger material that can take the heat even with the reduced mass. How many miles do you have and what year do you own? Maybe that is why the Nissan guy is urging you to get a replacement, he may thinkthe clutch went prematurely.

Well as far as options go Stillen sells one (mueller?), unorthodox racing does also (aasco?), and fidanza has one for the 99+ models.
I have a 96 with 90k miles. I'd much rather get it resurfaced. Looks like I might inquire about that.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-29-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: Re: I doubt you "need" a new flywheel

getting it resurfaced is not the best alternative actually, the reason for that is the clutch plate has very little play in the grip material, so getting it machined might cause it to not grip when everything is installed, trust me, I wanted to machine my flywheel but I was adviced against it because it might be worst for it, so if your flywheel is fine, just use sand paper and that's it

later
Vinipux
Old 03-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hey Chris.. check this.. the Tranny shop down the road from me is doing my clutch for $329 and resurface for $50 more.. ... i can't beat that..

i was going ot change it myself.. but i was worried when you told me on AIM about hte flywheel part..

while talking to the guy.. i told him i had my own clutch.. and he said.. no.. he wouldn't do it.. then he goes.. out of curiousity.. how much was that clutch.. and i told him.. and i told him the brand.. and he was like.. ok then..i will do it.. i thought it was some autozone $99 clutch
Old 03-29-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Hey Chris.. check this.. the Tranny shop down the road from me is doing my clutch for $329 and resurface for $50 more.. ... i can't beat that..

i was going ot change it myself.. but i was worried when you told me on AIM about hte flywheel part..

while talking to the guy.. i told him i had my own clutch.. and he said.. no.. he wouldn't do it.. then he goes.. out of curiousity.. how much was that clutch.. and i told him.. and i told him the brand.. and he was like.. ok then..i will do it.. i thought it was some autozone $99 clutch
bah. i tried a few local places, they all said about the same price to install they were like $50 cheaper... for the extra $50 i'd rather go to the dealer.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:46 PM

Re: Let's talk about flywheels

All my buddies in the auto biz said to resurface the flywheel when doing the clutch; $50 seems the going rate. The one iffy idea was lightening the stock one, and it sounds from other posts like that isn't too effective with the Maximas anyway. I have the Mueller aluminum flywheel from Stillen, about $450 or so, and I love it. Almost everyone I've heard from on here that has one is pleased. If you are even considering it, I think it's a great mod.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by CKNY

bah. i tried a few local places, they all said about the same price to install they were like $50 cheaper... for the extra $50 i'd rather go to the dealer.
Just because they are a dealer doesn't necessarily mean they will do a good job. A reputable independent who specializes in foreign cars can be just as good an option.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:07 AM

you should have the flywheel runout tested and resurfaced if necessary. You can warp the pressure plate if you mate it against an untrue surface (this being the flywheel)